Approved Member

Re: Jose Rosas's euros 1986 winning Optima replica

Post by Jirka »

Some progress...

Front shocks are now installed...
IMG_0128_12-12 front shocks installed.jpg
and body cutted
IMG_0115_12-12 body cutted.jpg
It was a little harder to cut the Optima body so that Option House Gold shocks would fit nicely but Jose also did seem to have that same "problem". There might still be a little too much lexan around rear shocks. I will paint the body next then then see how it looks.

Hcp22: Hej! We did have a conversation here: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23652 about those adapters. In the and V12 found the correct red ones, made by Tamiya. Still searching for them...

V12: Thanks!

Lonestar: I have a feeling that Drastic motor, or J.M. Fraisses's prototype motor with Drastic sticker was maybe used during qualifying. But in the finals Jose seemed to use Le Mans 240S motor:
Pic15 Results with equivments-F800x600.jpg
Pic16 Results with equivments.jpg
Pic17 Results with equivments.jpg
Pic17 Results with equivments.jpg (37.44 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
Pic17 Results with equivments.jpg
Pic17 Results with equivments.jpg (37.44 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
Pic19 RRC Results with equivments -F800x600.jpg
I would love to have one Drastic motor to this car, but to be periodic correct I would need a prototype motor with Yokomo can and Le Mans armature.

Jirka

rangerg
Approved Member

Post by rangerg »

This thread is a fun read, keep us posted.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

interesting discussion on motors... Only Jose and Jean-Michel would know what Jose ran as a mill during the mains. JMFraisse was the french Jim Dieter, so his hand-made stuff would be MUCH faster and efficient that Kyosho's own 240S ;)

all in all, coming along nicely.

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Jirka
Approved Member

Post by Jirka »

I did chat about this motor thing with prp some time ago and it seems that in 1986 those Drastic motors were on prototype stage with Yokomo or Kyosho cans and some random armatures around 19-20 turns. They (= J.M. Fraisse?) did later start winding them too and those were then the production motors. The reason why I believe Jose used Le Mans 240S rather than Drastic 300RS (20 turn single) in finals is that the grass track got more slippery during race. Slippery track is more "easy" to batteries and because of this more powerful Le Mans 240S a 19 turn single could be used. He might used that 20 turn Drastic motor in qualifying when there were more grass on track and there comes that one Drastic 300RS info to one magazine and later to Drastic ads too. I might be also wrong and for promotional reasons Jose/Drastic announced that Le Mans motor was used like the front tire thing. He seemed to use Tamiya Supershot front ties and Hotshot front wheels but in equipment used list and in price ceremony there are Option House ties and wheels. Only Jose or his friends could answer to those, but still nothing from him. Personally I also hope that Jose used Le Mans 240S motor since that will be much easier to find and therefore hopefully cheaper too.

Jirka

Jirka
Approved Member

Post by Jirka »

Some progress to this project. I managed to paint the body. Body is a repro from Marwan.
IMG_0579 Body Painted Black.JPG
Then some original Optima decals. I tried to make same mistakes as Jose. Some stickers are not in line, like "sand super" on roof and "kyosho racing team" on hood. Also the sticker in front window is purposely not in the middle. I removed some more lexan around rear shocks too. The first cut would have been enough but now it looks more like Jose's car. From "kyosho" sticker is also purposely little cutter away.
IMG_0620 Some stickers installed.JPG
IMG_0620 Some stickers installed 2.JPG
IMG_0620 Some stickers installed 3.JPG
The Drastic stickers to sidepods: I have one, other is hopefully coming soon. Also one more Kyosho's yellow "offraod championship grandprix" is needed above the motor. The only that I have now is in front of front shocks.

The other thing that I managed to purchase and modify are Schumacher nicad clamps. Those are NIB parts from practically an other side of the world. I have not managed to find correct white ones (they seems to be very rare), but the blacks are currently OK for me. To make the Schumacher nicad clamps fit I had to drill and cut some plastic away from Optima's nicad holders.
IMG_0589_Modification for Schumaher Nicad clamps.JPG
IMG_0616 Schumacher Nicad Clamps underside.JPG
IMG_0619_Nicads installed.JPG
Then something about electronics. Since old Sanwa and CS parts seemed to be disappeared from the universe, I will probably install almost? periodic correct Ko parts instead:
IMG_0630 Ko Electronics.JPG
The servo and receiver are originally from this car and speedo is almost from the same era.

Jirka

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

Great Stuff indeed.

Pic's of the body?? Aah you just posted pics. Very nice. Just like the real thing.

I agree the Le Mans 240s would be a lot easier to find BUT they are not that easy. The 240SB is a little easier as they weren't standard in any kit unlike the stonking hot 240S. I managed to get my 240S new 3 yrs ago but have only seen the SB's since.

Love your build up.
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Replicas aren't my thing, but full respect to you for your attention to detail! Very nice job on that car and staying faithful to every characteristic of the original.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Jirka
Approved Member

Post by Jirka »

Mad Racer wrote:Great Stuff indeed.

Pic's of the body?? Aah you just posted pics. Very nice. Just like the real thing.

I agree the Le Mans 240s would be a lot easier to find BUT they are not that easy. The 240SB is a little easier as they weren't standard in any kit unlike the stonking hot 240S. I managed to get my 240S new 3 yrs ago but have only seen the SB's since.

Love your build up.
Yep I accidentally pressed the "submit" button when I needed to press the "Add the file" button (Not the first time to me :oops: ), but now there is more or less what it should be.

I will try to get Le Mans 240S to my car. Those comes every now and then to ebay, but not good enough or reasonably priced but someday...

I will also have to cut two transponder holes to roof. I don't know why Jose needed two, but that what there seems to be. Maybe he wanted to make 0.01 second better result or tweak weight distribution. One hole is approximately in middle of the roof without transponder, the second with transponder as front as possible in the roof.

Jirka

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Do you have the transponder? :D
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Jirka
Approved Member

Post by Jirka »

Hcp22 wrote:Do you have the transponder? :D
Not yes, but it is in my list.

Jirka

Jerzi
Approved Member

Post by Jerzi »

Nice project Jirka....
Jerzi

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Jirka wrote:
Hcp22 wrote:Do you have the transponder? :D
Not yes, but it is in my list.

Jirka
I might have one if you are interested
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Niki
Approved Member

Post by Niki »

Hi Jirka
You mentioned your replica projects but I honestly did not expect this level of commitment. I'm so new to this forum I have read only a few sections.
This really is great stuff. I have to dig out your other topics too. Nice work.

-N-

tozrovr

Post by tozrovr »

Any updates on this? I loved reading the history and your treasure hunt for the right parts.

Jirka
Approved Member

Post by Jirka »

tozrovr wrote:Any updates on this? I loved reading the history and your treasure hunt for the right parts.
Yes, wait a few days!

Jirka