The Frankenbuggy

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Frankentruck

Re: The Frankenbuggy

Post by Frankentruck »

I'm also considering changing to a semi-laydown rear shock setup with a lower shock tower position, as long as it doesn't obstruct the motor removal. This would also allow me to change from mid to rear motor configuration on a whim.

This is not the battery box I'm using, just a placeholder for layout mockups.
Attachments
PXL_20211020_135257275~2.jpg
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Question: Are there any RC10 bodies being produced that also have a matching undertray?
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

The only undertray that I'm aware of matches the aluminum chassis shape, not any specific body.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

juicedcoupe wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:16 am The only undertray that I'm aware of matches the aluminum chassis shape, not any specific body.
Do you know who makes that undertray?

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Frankentruck wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:15 am
juicedcoupe wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:16 am The only undertray that I'm aware of matches the aluminum chassis shape, not any specific body.
Do you know who makes that undertray?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/team-associated-rc10-classic-chassis-protectors-MADE-IN-AMERICA-clear-paintable-/203046018060?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

The YZ10 undertray will fit an AE Viper body. It just needs to be trimmed at the back - it's too long otherwise.
The front 2/3 of the undertray fits the Viper body shape very well. We use this combination for Stealth '91 builds.
I hope this was helpful. Here's a link...

https://teambluegroove.com/collections/yokomo/products/yokomo-works-worlds-yz10-undertray-super-dog-fighter-pavadis
Doug

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

The suspension is taking shape. I ended up with a T2 rear shock tower because it gave me a better motor wire path to where the ESC will be. Also, I just happen to have one. Availability is one of the best abilities. After a couple of iterations on the attachment knuckles I've got something that the rear shocks seem to agree with. I need to work on the combination rear bulkhead / battery cradle so I can finalize the rear. The front also got a first pass at its shock mount. I need to think more about how to limit the front arm travel so the shock can do its job and not just be a link that pushes and pulls the arms back and forth, jukin' and jivin' against the direction the buggy is being steered.
Attachments
PXL_20211022_140053891~2.jpg

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

R6cowboy helped me out with a set of front axles before I even realized I needed to shop for a set. Much thanks for the assist. I did a quick mod to them so I have the option of using them as standard width or wide width.

I also printed up a set a steering bellcranks. I really really really don't want to spend $30 on a set. They seem like such a generally overpriced item to me.
Attachments
PXL_20211029_223353923~2.jpg
PXL_20211029_222731276~3.jpg

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Frankentruck wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:53 pm They seem like such a generally overpriced item to me.
Anyone with $20k for an injection mold and $1k for a run can make em. AE worlds cranks work great, and could be had for almost nothing, unfortunately they don’t think it’s worthwhile to make them anymore. This is why you see the printed ones, because to do it right is both expensive and not worthwhile.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I'm not disputing that the machinery is expensive, but for the size, relatively simple shape, etc compared to suspension arms, shock towers, gearbox cases, bumpers, etc the bell cranks have always seemed like they commanded a premium price. It's just the penny pincher in me.

Just to be clear, these bellcranks are from my 3D printer. If they aren't any good, I might iterate on the design or seek out a better set from a proven maker. But for now, they might work good enough.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

GoMachV wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:43 pm
Frankentruck wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:53 pm They seem like such a generally overpriced item to me.
Anyone with $20k for an injection mold and $1k for a run can make em. AE worlds cranks work great, and could be had for almost nothing, unfortunately they don’t think it’s worthwhile to make them anymore. This is why you see the printed ones, because to do it right is both expensive and not worthwhile.
It's possible now to cut costs by 3D printing the injection mold. :wink:

(Though I really dont know if the pressure the 3d printed molds can take is good enough for RC parts)

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

They wouldn't even need to be made from injection molded plastic. A nice rigid set could be made from 1/8" thick fiberglass or carbon fiber sheet stock. That should have less product-specific tooling and batch run costs.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

The shock tower support / battery cradle is done. Still need to drill the chassis mount holes but location will be close to what is shown. Front tie rod connection bulkhead is also ready for installation.
Attachments
PXL_20211101_204451776~2.jpg

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I just noticed my bellcranks were laying in the wrong position. In the right position they make contact with my front bulkhead. Oops. I guess one of the parts will need to change, or I'll need an extra high torque steering servo. 😁
Attachments
PXL_20211102_122957106~2.jpg

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

I noticed that they were backwards in your photo, but I figured that you knew what you were doing. Therefore I said nothing. Maybe you wanted tons of bump steer, I don't know. :? But, your progress is looking good!
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."