Resale profit margin

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RC10th
Approved Member

Re: Resale profit margin

Post by RC10th »

Put yours on ebay for a much cheaper price so it gets listed side by side, that will soon sort out the mark up issues.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Stick with what you are doing Dadio, and don't let the money-hungry a$$hats get to you!

With your creations, you are personally saving vintage RC cars! And ultimately, whether the end user spent $20 or $80 for your creation, it may very well have saved a car from getting tossed in the bin or parted out. Nothing is going to change the money grabbing, but your desire to design (and have built) these parts that people need, is virtuous.

To keep it regional, you are the RC Mike Brewer and Wheeler Dealer! Not interested in making bunches of money, but saving the classics that need to be saved. :D
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

morrisey0 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:07 pm Stick with what you are doing Dadio, and don't let the money-hungry a$$hats get to you!

With your creations, you are personally saving vintage RC cars! And ultimately, whether the end user spent $20 or $80 for your creation, it may very well have saved a car from getting tossed in the bin or parted out. Nothing is going to change the money grabbing, but your desire to design (and have built) these parts that people need, is virtuous.

To keep it regional, you are the RC Mike Brewer and Wheeler Dealer! Not interested in making bunches of money, but saving the classics that need to be saved. :D
Amen, brother.
What he said. :D
Doug

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

morrisey0 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:07 pm you are the RC Mike Brewer and Wheeler Dealer!
Dadio is moving to California?!?!?
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Retro rc

Post by Retro rc »

Personally I’d get 1 of everything I’ve designed from shape ways and list it with the exact same heading as his but for the real price. Then in the description note that it’s your design and shape ways prints them, no need to put links as long as your design and shape ways is mentioned

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

morrisey0 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:07 pm To keep it regional, you are the RC Mike Brewer and Wheeler Dealer! Not interested in making bunches of money, but saving the classics that need to be saved. :D
Hmmmm..... is that a compliment?

:lol: :P
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Hmm Mike Brewer and I , there are links , I'm a mechanic so I'm in the motor trade , we both do mediocre restorations and we're both lousy salesmen (and over weight :( )
I'd love to have the money to print everything I have on Shapeways and stick it on eBay at propper prices but Christmas is coming and blowing the budget on RC stuff would not make for happy children or grandchildren :lol:
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Apparently I'm the only one here who has no idea who Mike Brewer is - I've never heard of him. :oops:
Doug

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

XLR8 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:54 am Apparently I'm the only one here who has no idea who Mike Brewer is - I've never heard of him. :oops:
Search for "wheeler dealers" it's a UK TV show about buying, restoring, and selling old cars. Notable because in the price breakdown his mechanic never gets paid a penny and even so they make very little profit if at all. :lol: Still, it's very watchable. Mike Brewer is a London car salesman who fronts the show, even though he never does you can't help picture him in a sheepskin coat and rigger boots. :D
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Retro rc

Post by Retro rc »

Looks like another guy loves to resell at a huge profit.

Looks like a penguin body set to me

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353831001366?hash=item5261f89d16:g:H1QAAOSwf75hyqo7

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

I think some of these sellers are betting on an uninformed purchase from someone just "needing" the item without doing some searching. OR possibly having something they think is scarcely available or "rare" and have no idea of what a reasonable market price would/should be.

I have seen items that are still available from the manufacturer priced way high at auction or BIN.

It is unfortunate in any case. I'd like to THINK some of it is just ignorance and not all malicious gouging, etc.
Hope you're doin' something fun.

Retro rc

Post by Retro rc »

Well in this case it looks pretty deliberate, he’s even stolen the pic from Steve’s eBay ad ffs- it’s the last pic of 4

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174926413335?hash=item28ba6d3e17:g:EpQAAOSwMm1hjjmE

Can’t tell me he didn’t know what it was worth

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Speaking of the items on ebay, I could understand if the mark-up and shipping were reasonable. Especially if they have the pieces on hand.

Let's be honest, we all want our stuff yesterday. Also, Shapeways shipping kinda sucks, especially on smaller orders.

If I only need a couple things, I'll normally check ebay first. If I'm making a Shapeways order, its probably not going to be cheap.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

juicedcoupe wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:51 am Speaking of the items on ebay, I could understand if the mark-up and shipping were reasonable. Especially if they have the pieces on hand.

Let's be honest, we all want our stuff yesterday. Also, Shapeways shipping kinda sucks, especially on smaller orders.

If I only need a couple things, I'll normally check ebay first. If I'm making a Shapeways order, its probably not going to be cheap.
Does the Shapeways shipping for a single item + the item price for the items that get sold at huge mark-up on EBay match that Ebay price? If so, that's the source of the markup and someone on Ebay needs to learn buying in bulk... :lol:

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Buying in bulk and selling more at a lower but still marked up price must surely be a better business model ?