traxxas history?

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jwscab

Re: traxxas history?

Post by jwscab »

it has a gear diff, and the layout was like the ultima, with a counter gear that ran externally. pretty noisy, but it worked.

the worst part of the bullet design, which they moved away from, and now recently have gone back to, was that the rear inner arm mounts were part of the trans case. if you broke that, you needed to change the whole trans assembly.

I would put the trans abuse level at about a 6 cell, 13 turn motor. I shredded some gears, and the slider shaft yokes eventually ovaled and snapped.

this is the trans they also used on the hawk i think, and the radicator (not rad 2).

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

jwscab wrote:it has a gear diff, and the layout was like the ultima, with a counter gear that ran externally. pretty noisy, but it worked.

the worst part of the bullet design, which they moved away from, and now recently have gone back to, was that the rear inner arm mounts were part of the trans case. if you broke that, you needed to change the whole trans assembly.

I would put the trans abuse level at about a 6 cell, 13 turn motor. I shredded some gears, and the slider shaft yokes eventually ovaled and snapped.

this is the trans they also used on the hawk i think, and the radicator (not rad 2).
yup the rad, hawk, bullet, sledge all have that stupid outer gear and the trans mounted arms, the rad and hawk 2 do not.

i dont read to many problems with that setup on the rustler/pede/slash/bandit series tho and ive never had that issue with my xl1 pede or rusty. the only real problem is the lack of adjustabity but then again, you dont buy a pede because of how adjustable it is[nt] do you? :wink:

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

SRTracer121 wrote:
yup the rad, hawk, bullet, sledge all have that stupid outer gear and the trans mounted arms, the rad and hawk 2 do not.

Don't forget about the Eagle too. :wink: I'm talking about the old (#1901) with gold shocks and graphite chassis.I always wanted that truck back in the day.Luckily it took me long enough to save the money that the Blue Eagle was released. :D

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

yeah, i always forget the eagle as im used to the blue eagle so thats my first thought :oops:

and actualy, i was semi wrong about the sledge as well, its slitghtly different if i recal from the bullet, hawk, etc. its been a while since i sold my sledge (i miss it actualy :cry: )

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

Have you ever contacted Traxxas directly to see what they can offer as to racing effort and history?

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

i did once but got the link to the joke history page they have :x

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

Yeah I am not sure they have any of the old management anymore. Thats a bit sad. Kinda like when Associated cleaned up their page, and so much cool pictures were removed :evil:

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

drbelleville wrote:Have you ever contacted Traxxas directly to see what they can offer as to racing effort and history?

I've called them before trying to get some info on the older stuff.Seems like the people I talked to were a little "wet behind the ears".

I even asked if there was a really old guy who has been there forever,but that didn't work either. :lol:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Mr. ED wrote:People can say what they want, but Traxxas is one of the few companies that had and have the guts to bring out vehicles that don't fit the established race categories.
In some way they are the old tamiya: a way in to the hobby, but with some higher end cars as well (unfortunately no longer in the buggy range)
When I spent some time (for the first time in over a decade) at a few local hobby shops picking up paint supplies, antenna tubes, and digging through their boxes of random crap (hey, I found a front belt diff, sway bar links, and a handful of shock ends/ball joints for Kyosho), something very similar occurred to me....I guess it's not just me who thinks Traxxas is like the Tamiya of the 80's--except they're pre-built. Too much plastic, too toy-like. And I, for one, am no fan of the truggy style. The truggy is fugly!
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I meant it a bit more positive actually. When I got my first car Tamiya was the much easier to acces brand in Belgium: well distributed, big name, spare parts and option parts all ready on the shelves. Yes, more plastic, but that goes with the low-price by high-volume production principle.
Traxxas takes a similar role in the US nowadays I have the impression, and maybe in 10 years people will be just as nostalgic about their cars as the tamiya fans of today.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

i don't think they will mr. ed.

here's why; most traxxas buyers are the "instant gratification types"(or parents of that type). those types of people get bored quickly and move on to something else.

sure there is a precentage of traxxas buyers that move on to better vehicles and they may be nostalgic, but most of them will have long forgotten rc.

tamiya fans on the other hand are die hards mostly because of the build process, they just enjoy the build more than anything else.
the only reason tamiya isn't as popular anymore is because the instant grat types don't want to build anything, they just want to go 60 mph, NOW!

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

kaiser wrote:i don't think they will mr. ed.

here's why; most traxxas buyers are the "instant gratification types"(or parents of that type). those types of people get bored quickly and move on to something else.

sure there is a precentage of traxxas buyers that move on to better vehicles and they may be nostalgic, but most of them will have long forgotten rc.

tamiya fans on the other hand are die hards mostly because of the build process, they just enjoy the build more than anything else.
the only reason tamiya isn't as popular anymore is because the instant grat types don't want to build anything, they just want to go 60 mph, NOW!

as sad as it is, your very much correct. and those types will be the death of the hobby, a lot of knowledge is being lost. i think some of it is that it isnt getting passed from the "old guys" to the new generation (brushed motor tuning and maintence for example)

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

SRTracer121 wrote:(brushed motor tuning and maintence for example)
what do you mean by 'brushed' motor :?: :?: :?:

LOL :mrgreen: sorry...had to do it...
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

klavy69 wrote:
SRTracer121 wrote:(brushed motor tuning and maintence for example)
what do you mean by 'brushed' motor :?: :?: :?:

LOL :mrgreen: sorry...had to do it...
Todd

I think brushed motor tuning is when you use a long hex wrench and a pair of vise-grips to get that "edge" with your 27-turn. :mrgreen:

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

harry697 wrote:I think brushed motor tuning is when you use a long hex wrench and a pair of vise-grips to get that "edge" with your 27-turn. :mrgreen:
:lol:
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!