Oval Truck Build (axle question 1/17)

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: Oval Truck Build (question 1/14)

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

SRTracer121 wrote:bdw, i like the rambling, it adds character to the posts :lol:
Ramblings?? I think I generally stick to only absolutely essential information about r/c in all of my posts… :P

Oh, by the way. I would have logged in earlier, but I was busy with a homemade pie.(if this picture had sound you’d hear the bubbling cheese)

The more I think about my body idea I think the cooler it might be…if I don’t blow it!!!

Wheel choices?

I’m going to start really searching tonight. I was just on my way out of work earlier… :D

Now if you’ll excuse me I promised my daughter I’d watch a couple of episodes of Inspector Gadget. Like me she likes her retro. :mrgreen: Later
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: Oval Truck Build (wheel help? 4/15)

Would RPM or HPI be easier to fit on to this truck some how? I wish I could see all these wheels up close and personal. It'd be a lot easier to come up with a plan of attack. All the LHSs around here keep fairly low inventories of truck wheels.

Like these?
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_26_40/products_id/154867/n/RPM-Slingshot-12-Spoke-Rear-Truck-Wheels-White-2-3-16-Associated

Or these? Would one be more likely to be made to fit than the other. HPIs always seem rather adaptable. I have some in the basement I may dig out and mess around with to see.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_26_40/products_id/50140/n/HPI-22-Spike-Truck-Wheel-Black-Chrome-2

Traxxas?
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_26_40/products_id/17574/n/Traxxas-Rear-22-Dyeable-Wheels-2

:?
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

I forgot I had these, which obviously work easily and would clean up nice with peroxide and new tires, but I'm going for a lighter more modern look. These look tough, but cumbersome.(warning! crappy cell phone pic ahead)...and yes, I will now have "Cumbersome" by Seven Mary Three stuck in my head for a while now... :mrgreen:

Ken

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

traxxas rims would need a floating axle for the fronts, the only rims with bearings in them use the 5x11 bearing.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:I have a new direction I want to go anyway. For starters, anyone know of any wheels similar to these that might be modified to fit this?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNHW8&P=ML
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYJW6&P=7
Just a few for thoughts as I went thru tower hobbies. Are you after 2.2 or buggy or touring car or ?
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

klavy69 wrote:Are you after 2.2 or buggy or touring car or ?
Todd
Well, I wasn't 100% sure until I took another good close look at the chassis tonight. I even thought of going to a low profile 8th scale buggy tire/wheel combo. I think I will stay with 10th scale truck rims though. I think they scale out really nicely(of course I guess they should since it's a 10th scale chassis :lol: ). I had also considered 2.2 rear buggy rims all around. m_vice did a really cool mod recently that made me think pretty much anything can be done with the right amount of work and thought. I'm leaning toward these I think. I usually like everything black, but I really want bright white rims for some reason. Thanks for the input. Keep it comin'! I need all the help I can get. :lol:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_26_40/products_id/154883/n/RPM-Bully-5-Spoke-Rear-Wheels-White-1-4-Associated
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

I’m keeping this a truck, but here are some concept shots of what it would look like with foams. Just out of curiosity, what type of body might be used with the foams? We just expanded our oval track. There may be interest in an open 10th scale 2wd class. :mrgreen: Buggy tires might even be a choice.

Ken

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

hey, ive got some interesting foams if your interested, they are for the gt. we run rubber on our oval so i dont need them and they are pretty beat but im sure they could be cleaned up

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

SRTracer121 wrote:hey, ive got some interesting foams if your interested, they are for the gt. we run rubber on our oval so i dont need them and they are pretty beat but im sure they could be cleaned up
Thanks, I did consider some silicone treated foams, but I think I have it all figured out. Now I just need time, and more importantly a good permanent workspace. I love the location of my house, but I really need more room. :roll: I think it's time to move...
Ken

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

well see the trick to a hobby room is to just toss out the idea of keeping a room/house nice, my hobbyroom/bed and clothing storage (who needs sleep all you need is a blast of spent nitro!) is totally trashed, carpets, walls, furniture, all of it is ruined and smells of nitro fuel, rubbing compound and acetone. theres a hole in my wall from my gt and one downstairs from my nitro hawk (just love them small blocks!)

are you set on a body yet?

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

SRTracer121 wrote:well see the trick to a hobby room is to just toss out the idea of keeping a room/house nice, my hobbyroom/bed and clothing storage (who needs sleep all you need is a blast of spent nitro!) is totally trashed, carpets, walls, furniture, all of it is ruined and smells of nitro fuel, rubbing compound and acetone. theres a hole in my wall from my gt and one downstairs from my nitro hawk (just love them small blocks!)

are you set on a body yet?
If only I were single! :lol: I'm not 100% sure on the body, but I think I have it all figured out. I hope to get motivated enough to finish this soon. If there were a class for it at my local track it would be done by now. I'm really dragging my feet... :roll:
Ken

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

there again, you gotta be smart, just invent and push a class that you can run the car in, i wanted to run my rc10gt so i started 1/10th open wheel and now we have 9 people running every week.

ya know i also invented the phrase "delusions of grandeur" :wink:

but back on track or i guess thread really...

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: Oval Truck Build (getting closer)

I'm itching to get back to some buliding and racing. Should I attach these to the stub axles I have, or is there another choice I can use that may give me more wheel options? I'm a little embarrassed to ask, but can I attach these to the ones I have without destroying them? The pin didn't seem to want to release. :?
Ken

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Oval Truck Build (axle question 1/17)

Post by scr8p »

i'd have to look, but you should be able to get these as a complete kit (if you're worried about messin up the ones you have). i just hope they'll work for ya, not that you drop $30+ and they don't.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: Oval Truck Build (axle question 1/17)

scr8p wrote:i'd have to look, but you should be able to get these as a complete kit (if you're worried about messin up the ones you have). i just hope they'll work for ya, not that you drop $30+ and they don't.
I actually bought them that night. They've been collecting dust ever since. :oops: I believe they'll work anyway, but if not then I figured I'd have them for a possible future project. I think I'm just going to get mine apart to begin with. I bought some pins that should work.
Ken