Oval Truck Build

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Snorman70
Approved Member

Oval Truck Build

Post by Snorman70 »

I am wanting to turn one of my RC10T's into an oval truck. I have no clue as to what parts it takes to convert. Looking for help in getting started and straightened out on what assoicated parts are needed and what parts from other associated trucks or buggies will work. Would like to use as many vintage parts as possible that can still be purchased on FeePay or elsewhere.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: Oval Truck Build

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Depends on how deep into an oval build you want to get, you can just get some Cooper's Truck foams and a Factory Works shell, or go all out with a LTO Composite craft chassis, or a Rayborn chassis with the RPM truck arms and Factory works lowered towers and so on and so on- :wink:

some others-
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17783
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=9653
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1944
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=11441
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=12643

Snorman70
Approved Member

Post by Snorman70 »

[quote="Charlie don't surf"]Depends on how deep into an oval build you want to get, you can just get some Cooper's Truck foams and a Factory Works shell, or go all out with a LTO Composite craft chassis, or a Rayborn chassis with the RPM truck arms and Factory works lowered towers and so on and so on- :wink:

Looking at using an original aluminum tub if it is even possible. Does the RC10DS parts work? They look to use the same aluminum tub chassis?

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

The nose plate is different, but the front tower will bolt up, as will the rear tower, not sure what shocks you might have to use, either .56 or the .71's but that DS thing is a good idea :idea:

Snorman70
Approved Member

Post by Snorman70 »

Charlie don't surf wrote:The nose plate is different, but the front tower will bolt up, as will the rear tower, not sure what shocks you might have to use, either .56 or the .71's but that DS thing is a good idea :idea:

What other options are there that utilize the original tub?

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Factory Works Towers with .56 shocks

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

The Factory Works towers are sweet, they look awesome. My area was strictly oval, and guys would just run trucks in off-road trim, not even any limiters inside the shocks. The only real difference were the Striker tires, because spikes didn't work on the indoor clay oval, and the track wouldn't let them run spikes outdoors (or practice during the week). I experimented with a lowered truck, mid motor, offset battery, etc, but I just couldn't get interested in racing long enough to really run it.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

SteveK wrote:The Factory Works towers are sweet, they look awesome. My area was strictly oval, and guys would just run trucks in off-road trim, not even any limiters inside the shocks. The only real difference were the Striker tires, because spikes didn't work on the indoor clay oval, and the track wouldn't let them run spikes outdoors (or practice during the week). I experimented with a lowered truck, mid motor, offset battery, etc, but I just couldn't get interested in racing long enough to really run it.
Nah, there was an outdoor offroad track at Walt's, and a outdoor offroad track at RC Competition Corner when it was at the Theater in Mattydale, and a great place in Oswego Co near Pulaski :wink:

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Walt's only ran off-road for a couple of summers, and after that they only opened up the dirt oval on race nights, so no practice and the track was literally green (with moss) because they kept it covered the rest of the time. They had some carpet covered wood jumps for the indoor clay track, but they could only put them in a few spots because of the groove worn in the track by the cars. :lol:

Comp Corner was weird, they were in 3 or 4 different places in the span of a few years, and only opened late in a day, a few days a week. The off-road track by the theater goes way, way back, early 90s. I went to the place near Oswego once, never raced there though.

Snorman70
Approved Member

Post by Snorman70 »

SteveK wrote:The Factory Works towers are sweet, they look awesome. My area was strictly oval, and guys would just run trucks in off-road trim, not even any limiters inside the shocks. The only real difference were the Striker tires, because spikes didn't work on the indoor clay oval, and the track wouldn't let them run spikes outdoors (or practice during the week). I experimented with a lowered truck, mid motor, offset battery, etc, but I just couldn't get interested in racing long enough to really run it.

Are you using stock size RC10T arms or using something smaller? If so what seems to work best. I was looking at using RPM RC10T arms or Andy's RC10 arms.
Will the RC18T front shocks work or are they to long?

wyldbill
Approved Member

Post by wyldbill »

here is the link to my oval 10t. it's about as extreme as you can get.
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2189&hilit=terminator+10t
Attachments
truck '06 1.jpg

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Snorman70 wrote:

Are you using stock size RC10T arms or using something smaller? If so what seems to work best. I was looking at using RPM RC10T arms or Andy's RC10 arms.
Will the RC18T front shocks work or are they to long?
I think the stock RC10T suspension would work best. You could even keep the stock chassis and just lower the suspension. The truck already handles great, and an oval is just an off-road track with no jumps or right turns.

Snorman70
Approved Member

Post by Snorman70 »

wyldbill wrote:here is the link to my oval 10t. it's about as extreme as you can get.
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2189&hilit=terminator+10t

So, what size shocks are you running and will the front RC18T's work? The reason I ask about the shocks is that it seems there are more options with the 18T vs .56 or .71 shocks.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

18T shocks would probably not be a great choice, your spring selection is going to be pretty poor. shocks are easy to find though, just use a set of associated TC3 shocks, and if you need more static ride height run a longer shaft like a .71 shaft. that way you'll have lots of spring choices. for a smooth track though where you can run the truck low you should be able to get away with any stock length touring car shock. Reggie posted a link to my truck a few posts ago,

It uses Custom Works Interim shocks which are the same length as TC3 shocks and I used a long dubro 4-40 rod end to get the desired ride height.

Snorman70
Approved Member

Post by Snorman70 »

PBR Allstar wrote:18T shocks would probably not be a great choice, your spring selection is going to be pretty poor. shocks are easy to find though, just use a set of associated TC3 shocks, and if you need more static ride height run a longer shaft like a .71 shaft. that way you'll have lots of spring choices. for a smooth track though where you can run the truck low you should be able to get away with any stock length touring car shock. Reggie posted a link to my truck a few posts ago,

It uses Custom Works Interim shocks which are the same length as TC3 shocks and I used a long dubro 4-40 rod end to get the desired ride height.

Thanks for the info.