Need help with an oval truck build

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Need help with an oval truck build

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I need a little technical guidance on an oval truck project I’m planning. I would imagine scr8p is tired of my pms for technical advice so I figured I would put this out to everyone. I had planned on basically taking the buggy(truck I guess if you count the tires)in the first pic and putting a McAllister lowering kit on it with RPM buggy arms, new turnbuckles, shocks and hardware. It turns out that the rear RPM arms that I bought on eBay months ago are truck arms even though they were described as buggy arms. I never really looked at them when they arrived. Just glanced at them and threw them in a drawer… I go to start on the project today and as soon as I pull them out I can tell they’re too big. The easy solution is to simply buy RPM buggy arms and move forward, but after seeing them I really like the wide look they’ll give it.

Here’s what I need help with: What are my options for making them work? What scr8p suggested a while back was installing a 10t nose plate(or getting a tub) on the graphite chassis I already own or this one, but I want to use the oval chassis and I’m not willing to hack on it since it’s the most prized and oldest r/c car I own(that was originally mine). Will the front end just be way too wide? It kinda seemed so. If I use shorter arms up front it’s just too big of a difference. Any suggestions on what direction to go? Never mind how the arms are on in the pics. I merely threw them on to gauge the difference in width. Thanks in advance.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Need help with an oval truck build

Post by scr8p »

i'd get a pair of the rpm "truck" arms for the front. i'm sure there's a couple guys on here that have them and don't need them.

they're slightly shorter than a worlds arm. but being as though they're designed for the buggy arm mounts, you'll end up with a front end about an inch wider than a stock buggy.

i think i remember seeing a pair on the bay the other day........

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Well, damn. I guess I shoulda just pm’d you… :lol: That sounds like a good idea to me. Just sucks that I had the wrong parts today when I’d planned my afternoon around it. I was pissed anyway because I didn’t have the body ready. I should have had it ordered and here so I could paint it while I’m on vacation. I guess it wouldn’t have mattered anyway seeing as how the parts were wrong. Thanks as always! 8)
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

the front arms you'd be wanting are 7060 if i remember correctly. if i had more than one pair, i'd send you one.

also, those rear arms were designed to be used with yokomo wide universals. but b4 cvds might work.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

scr8p wrote:the front arms you'd be wanting are 7060 if i remember correctly. if i had more than one pair, i'd send you one.

also, those rear arms were designed to be used with yokomo wide universals. but b4 cvds might work.
The RPM truck rear arms are more narrow than the 10t rear arms right? They seem so. I don't have the RPM rear truck arms part number that I have because they were like new, but out of package.
Ken

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

ya, shorter than a 10t arm, but longer than a worlds. that's why i'm starting to doubt that b4 cvds will be long enough.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

scr8p wrote:ya, shorter than a 10t arm, but longer than a worlds. that's why i'm starting to doubt that b4 cvds will be long enough.
Well, at least I'll have time to look into it since the RPM arms I bought won't work... :roll:
Ken

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

if b4 shafts are too short, maybe b44 front shafts will work.

as for front arms, maybe you can convince bigjeepz to whittle you up a custom set, if you can't find the rpm truck arms.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

scr8p wrote:the front arms you'd be wanting are 7060 if i remember correctly.
Well crap. I just bought some RPM 70402 front 10t arms.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300469702107&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Did I totally screw up or will they be ok? If they're wrong I guess, Oh well. :roll: They'll have to work for something down the road. I'd really like to complete this project without piling up too many extra parts though. Too many extra parts lying around means you just have to build something... :mrgreen:

Now to order the body. Surely I can at least get that right... :roll:
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Are these the ones? If so, at least I can use the ones I bought on my GT.
http://cgi.ebay.com/RPM-RC10-Part-bag-7060-rc-10-Truck-Wide-Front-Arms-/320506448792?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4a9fac4b98

I like the price of the other ones better which makes me think they were wrong. That's usually how it goes in r/c... :roll:
Ken

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:Are these the ones? If so, at least I can use the ones I bought on my GT.
http://cgi.ebay.com/RPM-RC10-Part-bag-7060-rc-10-Truck-Wide-Front-Arms-/320506448792?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4a9fac4b98
ya, those are the ones i'm talking about. they are the "truck" fronts for your "truck" rears.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

After looking at them I see what you mean. I guess I should have looked at this post again and then ordered instead of ordering and then looking at this post. Oh, well. I guess I'll just have an extra set of RPM 10t arms. I think I'll get a truck tub and nose plate and make a runner. Lord knows there are plenty of spare RC10 parts around here. I'm selling a motor on ebay to fund the rest of the oval truck project. I'll start a build thread once all the parts are in. Back to the waiting game... :roll:
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

The RPM 7060 arms arrived today. It worked out pretty good because they went down about $10 which makes up for what I paid for the RPM RC10t arms. Colts have a night game so I'm gonna try an initial build tomorrow. I need to dye and re-dye some parts before the final build. I just want to see how it comes together and get some measurements for the final tweaks. These arms look perfect for the job. Thanks
Ken

Group B
Approved Member

Post by Group B »

Hit up PBA Allstar when it comes to setup for that bad boy, IIRC he knows his stuff with ovals.
Associated: RC10T - "Baller Truck" ~ Red Bull SC10 - "Sucker Free" ~ RC10T - "Teh Shelfer"
lowrydesign celebrates the entire Tecnacraft wheel collection
I celebrate Worlds Chassis and Steering Enhancement Kits

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Group B wrote:Hit up PBA Allstar when it comes to setup for that bad boy, IIRC he knows his stuff with ovals.
The trucks I've seen of his are sick. I almost didn't even want to make an oval truck because they will pale in comparison to his. Then again, if I think like that then there will never be another project on here because just about everything has been done. I figure everyone just needs to put their own spin on things and keep it interesting. Most importantly keep the projects going. Otherwise the forum becomes a fossil...
Ken