Oval Truck Build (axle question 1/17)

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Oval Truck Build (axle question 1/17)

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Going with my usual project method(not that there are many), I keep RC10talk.com fired up in the background for inspiration as I feed my carpal tunnel syndrome with endless wrench turning. I’m hoping to turn this pile of parts into a kick-ass oval truck. There won’t be another update tonight because I’m going to be doing the laborious task of matching up a-arms and tweaking design ideas into the wee hours of the morning. I’m on vacation this week so it seemed like the right time to get this project started, and better yet, completed. I’ve been buying parts for a while and as I’m sure most of you can testify to: I’ve spent about 4x what the truck will be worth to anyone but me… :roll:

I have one idea in particular that at least I myself have not seen yet, although it’s probably been done. More on that later. I also got a McAllister truck shell and paint that I’m looking forward to as long as I don’t F it up! Painting is far from my strong point, but I do enjoy seeing the results when 1 in 10 comes out the way I actually meant for it to. And yes, my daughter enjoyed the Dum Dum. :mrgreen:

Please chime in at anytime with questions/comments/concerns or criticisms. You will not hurt my feelings even if you try to I promise. Shocks and driveshafts are still my 2 big question marks at this point. I think I may have the shock question figured out, but the driveshafts will have to wait for further measurement. It’s not like this is a scratch build so there has to be a combo that will work. I’ll give a few new parts a first dip and a few old parts a refresher dip in some Rit tomorrow once I know what parts will be used.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Re: Oval Truck Build (the beginning)

Post by LTO_Dave »

So it's going to have 18 A-arms? :lol:

What chassis is that...Grand Motorsports, Raborn?

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

LTO_Dave wrote:So it's going to have 18 A-arms? :lol:

What chassis is that...Grand Motorsports, Raborn?
:lol: Kinda reminds you of The Human Centipede huh?? Don't search it!! :shock: If scr8p and charlie don't surf are right(and I've never known them to be wrong[stupid know-it-alls with all their right answers... :P ]) it's a Raborn. Never heard of Grand Motorsports. They make good stuff?
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

Here are my scans of a '95 GM catalog:
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11575

They made some sweet oval conversions and EDM bodies.

What wheels/tires are going on your truck?

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

LTO_Dave wrote:Here are my scans of a '95 GM catalog:
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11575

They made some sweet oval conversions and EDM bodies.

What wheels/tires are going on your truck?
For now just the Road Hawgs and Associated rims in my avatar. Depending on how I like it I may go to some black RPM or HPI spoked rims. I have a feeling that is where it will end up. Waiting for dyed parts to get good and dry before I start re-assembly. The Colts have a bye week so the NFL is only a mild distraction today. Too windy to paint the body. :(
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Got up this morning, ran to the butcher shop and picked up a couple of 16oz T-Bones for tonight and to Lowe’s for some for 4-40 threaded rod. My race track shop didn’t have any and Hobbytown USA was out. Slide your butcher a 6 pack of Heineken(or whatever he/she likes every once in a while and they hook you up with the best cuts) :wink: . The 4-40 rod is going to be ran thru copper tubing(painted black) for the tie-rods and steering. If I like the results I’m going to go on-line and order some steel tubing to add strength. Titanium rods would be stronger and more easily available, but I’m curious to see how it looks with this method. It will inevitably make adjustments much more of a task, but this will unfortunately not be a serious racer since there really isn’t much interest in the class(yet).

I normally dye the parts right in the pan after bringing it to a boil, but this time I decided to try a different method. I brought water to a boil and then poured it over the dye in smaller plastic container, stirred it and then threw the parts in and stirred for about 10 minutes straight. Then stirred every 10 minutes for about 90 minutes. Decent results, but not perfect. There’s always one stubborn piece that resists being dyed(left hand side). Actually as I type this I realized that I should have just sealed the lid and shaken it a little every 10 minutes. Would be slightly easier I guess. Live and learn I suppose…

To paint the copper tubing I just ran fishing line thru it, tied a piece of stick to the end and tied the other end to a tree branch in the woods. Just give the stick at the bottom a light twirl and the tubing rotates for smooth even painting. I have a bit of a leaf issue as I now take a closer look at this pic and the leaves have really barely started to fall. One downfall of where I live. I just wait for them all to fall, buy a case of beer and invite a couple of buddies over. We just blow them into the woods that surround the yard. Beats the hell out of raking and bagging. Helps stop erosion too. Burning is legal out in the county, but there’s just too many.

I got a pm from someone about a year ago stating that I add too much irrelevant information to my posts. He never visits anymore(maybe because of my posts!). To him I said “Everything is relevant to something.”. Most people just look at the pictures anyway… :lol:

Parts should be close to dry. :mrgreen:
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

My wife- "For the most part after all these years I've learned not to ask questions about any stupid thing I see you doing...but why are there sticks hanging on the back deck??"

:lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Well here’s most of the stuff that will go into the build. I need to make one more trip to the basement as I realized I forgot the shocks that I think are going to work best. I’ll take a break and then pull another late night putting this together. I hope it turns out like I’ve been picturing it in my head. Projects seldom do though…at least mine. :roll: :( :mrgreen:

And the chassis is a bit rough(extra holes). Looks like a 13 or 14 year old kid owned it once or something! :mrgreen:

Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

My 4 year old daughter stayed up later(against my will)than I'd anticipated. I'm a slight insomniac and I'm afraid she's going to be the same way. Not freaky Fight Club insomnia, just a little. Anyway, I'm back to building. The front end took a bit more hand fitting than I'd anticipated(it always does). Not too bad though. I was way off on what shocks I thought I'd need. These will work fine whatever they are... :oops: . I'm embarrassed to ask, but what exactly are they? I'm terrible with part numbers and model distinctions :oops: . I'm not even sure when they came into my possession. Were they TQ10 standard? Back to wrenching. :mrgreen:

Ken

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

RC10 Team car .71 Hard Annodized

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Charlie don't surf wrote:RC10 Team car .71 Hard Annodized
Yeah, that was my guess. :roll: :P

Thanks!! :mrgreen:
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

I was messing around with this ‘til about 3:00 a.m.(or maybe just goofing around on the internet)and started back at it about 8:00 a.m. today. I had to rebuild shocks and things like that so it was slow going. I also spent a good deal of time messing with the tie rod experiment I was trying. I finally abandoned the idea. It didn’t really look as cool as I thought it would, the paint scratches very easily and adjustability just wasn’t there. It took me 30 minutes to adjust about 1 degree. I have a pack of NIP Lunsfords for my TC3 which I’ve never built for some reason. I think at least some of those would work if I choose. I may just wait and buy a custom set. I also put the tranny back to a rear motor mount set up. I wasn’t crazy about how the mid-motor set up looked. I still have a ways to go. Like figuring out what driveshafts will work. I’ll take some measurements here shortly.

My wife took the camera because she’s picking up our daughter from school and getting together with some other moms so I had to use my cell phone to take pics. It has a pretty crappy camera on it. The truck pic actually turned out ok, but the perspective is just a bit weird looking because of the fish eye lens that my phone seems to have.

Abandoned tie rod idea(cell phone pic)

Truck(cell phone pic)

Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: Oval Truck Build (getting closer)

The ol’ lady stopped by for a nooner :lol: (I wish :roll: )so I snagged the camera and took a couple of quick shots of the truck. She was actually dropping off a small table looking thing she bought. One of those things where you look at it and ask “You paid money for this?”. :?

Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Even trucks that aren’t ready to run look better with a nice motor in them. Only one motor I can trust:
Pretty, Puny, Sissy, Little, Wimpy Motor !! :mrgreen:

Ken

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

so what cvd's are you thinking of using? just doing some measuring on one of my parts cars, going by the pic of the back of the truck, your bones are roughly 20 mm from the center of the outdrive. an rc10 bone is 60 mm, and the custom works "wide" cvd bone is 79 mm. in theory, they should work.