How to run modern rubber on your JRX series car

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JK Racing

Re: How to run modern rubber on your JRX series car

Post by JK Racing »

Cool...I just put the first one I found. Great, you can tell us/post pics of how it fits. :mrgreen:
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

HWS_Losi
Approved Member

Post by HWS_Losi »

To add another "data point":

I picked up some B4 fronts (P/N 9588), and they will need to be spaced out more than I realized to fit (JrxPro SE). They sit just about perfect with a spare bearing on the front axle prior to slipping the wheel on. it's enough that the stock Losi plastic wheel nut doesn't self-lock (not enough threads to go all the way to the end of the nut), so I'll have to use a metal self-locking nut that isn't so deep.

8rad
Approved Member

Post by 8rad »

I agree I have them on the list for my next Tower order to check them out and see if they would fit.
Bearickster, did you ever try this?

I have a few thoughts on what may work. As some of you are aware, JC Racing products sell a complete line of 2.2 inch 5 spoke rims for a variety of buggies. They seem to have everything covered except pre-xx Losi's. They have rims for RC10, B4, Kyosho, Tamiya, Mardave and Traxxas. Many others too.

Can anyone confirm if Mardave Cobra, Hornet or Traxxas rims can be easily adapted to the Losi front axles? Mardave Cobra rears look like a pin drive. Not sure about Traxxas. Obviously not the Hornet. I currently do not have any of these in my stable so I cannot check myself.

Cheers
"It's not broken, it's British!"

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

The RC10 fronts should work with no issues. I cannot comment on the Mardave, but the other 2 are metric, so I dont think the bearings will seat properly.

The B4 rears "should" work, with original RC10 fronts....
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

my guess is that the traxxas ones might be the best fit, for offset and axle sizing. the axle sizes are metric, but you can use spacers up front, and I'm not sure what the rear wheels use for drive mechanism, but it would be either a pin or hex drive, both of which are easily used on the 3/16" axle(rear wheel would use a 5mm axle, very close to 3/16", just need to open the hole up. I believe the traxxas offset is closer to losi than the associated ones.

EDIT*: I just checked out his auctions, it appears they are pin drive, which means they should fit pretty easily.

shirochanwrx
Approved Member

Post by shirochanwrx »

8rad wrote:
Bearickster, did you ever try this?

I have a few thoughts on what may work. As some of you are aware, JC Racing products sell a complete line of 2.2 inch 5 spoke rims for a variety of buggies. They seem to have everything covered except pre-xx Losi's. They have rims for RC10, B4, Kyosho, Tamiya, Mardave and Traxxas. Many others too.
No pre-XX Losi b/c they are the same size and offset as the 3/16" RC10 wheels, which they stock.

The XX and later wheels are for the later cars or for the JRX* series with a XX-style in-carrier bearing system.

8rad
Approved Member

Post by 8rad »

No pre-XX Losi b/c they are the same size and offset as the 3/16" RC10 wheels, which they stock.

The XX and later wheels are for the later cars or for the JRX* series with a XX-style in-carrier bearing system.
So the RC10 fronts are a direct fit? No shims? Also, the xx rears dont match the RC10 fronts.

The idea is to have a full set of matching rims with as little modification as possible. If the RC10 rims fit then great no problem.

I guess I need to buy some to find out.

8rad
Approved Member

Post by 8rad »

I sent an email to JC Racing products asking if they would be willing to make some Losi pre-xx rims in 2.2 and offered to sent them a set of rims to copy the bearing sizes and offsets and this was their response.

"Hi Jeremy, Most certainly would consider making some. Please forward to the following address (We will return these)"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So off with the rims. We will see what happens!

Should the fronts be wider to accept modern 2.2 fronts? The losi rims are quite a bit narrower than what I run on my Cougar.

Cheers

shirochanwrx
Approved Member

Post by shirochanwrx »

8rad wrote:

So the RC10 fronts are a direct fit? No shims? Also, the xx rears dont match the RC10 fronts.

The idea is to have a full set of matching rims with as little modification as possible. If the RC10 rims fit then great no problem.

I guess I need to buy some to find out.
What do you mean "the xx rears dont match the RC10 fronts"? If you are buying a full set of the RC10 B2/3 wheels from these guys, you will have the fronts and the rears to match.

My understanding is that the rear axles are the 3/16 ones (same as JRX2) and the front wheels will fit the JRX2 axle with the Associated flanged bearings, just like all RC10 wheels will fit a JRX2 with the appropriate bearings.

Without spacers, the JC RC10 wheels are a direct offset match with the original box JRX2 wheels. You only need to space them out if you want additional front track, which most people do want, and you would have to do that with the stock JRX2 rims anyway.

I wonder if they will make a new set of wheels for the JRX2 (if they would make a 5-spoke 2.2 inch wheel in the style of the original JRX2 wheels, that would be awesome), or if they will just point out to you that the size and offset of the wheels is identical to the contemporary RC10 wheels, and direct you to purchase those instead.

8rad
Approved Member

Post by 8rad »

I did not realize the RC10 rears were a direct fit to JRX. I thought the drive pin and axle sizing was different.

Anyhow, I am going to send them the JRX spoked wheels and ask them to copy those in 2.2.

Regardless it will be nice to have Losi rims for Losi buggies. I just cant stand the thought of fitting RC10 rims on my PRO.

YUK! :lol:

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

does JC racing sell B2/B3 wheels? I thought they only had the rc10 buggy with 1/4" axle style.

shirochanwrx
Approved Member

Post by shirochanwrx »

You are absolutely correct and I apologize.

I just re-read the JC Racing listing and they are listed as the 1/4" axle, like the original and sport models, not 3/16" like later RC10s and the JRX2.

Sorry if I confused anyone ... and I suppose this underscores the need for JC Racing to make dedicated JRX2 wheels ... which will also work on a 3/16" axle RC10.

I hope they think to make a flat-faced 5-spoke like the original JRX2 kit wheels ... there are plenty of dish wheels already available ...

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

So did anyone ever actually find a way to run 2.2 wheels and maintain the max width without using spacers?
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

8rad
Approved Member

Post by 8rad »

I just sent a full set of original JRX-2 rims to Colin at CB Patterns. AKA JC racing products. I asked if they could reproduce the same wheel in 2.2 to fit the JRX-2/PRO/Junior 2. I will let everyone know what happens if anything.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

This would be fanatastic if it comes together. I have used their wheels on an RC10 and very happy with them.