Modern frustration with the old car

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lowgear
Administrator

Re: Modern frustration with the old car

Post by Lowgear »

I'm under the impression that he's worried about the A-arms over extending the shocks and pulling the bottom mounts off the shafts. Its a weird concern I know, but who am I to judge? The best fix if hes worried about that sort of thing happening is to implement limiting straps. Basically the same concept as what monster trucks use.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

That is definitely what happened. It was one problem anyways. The car is currently being rebuilt from the ground up and everything that failed before has been addressed and then some. The shocks are going to be the big concern as I've even had the issue in my JRX-Pro. I have thought about limiting straps but I'm also looking into another option.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

slow_jun
Approved Member

Post by slow_jun »

has the same belief before that my RC10 can and would gauge up with the modern cars of today, had some downs and downs so i decided to buy a modern car and keep oldies aside. though my skills is not up to par to the local racers, i enjoy racing and also my son.

I also encounter some idler issues and slipper but was addressed by using the GT metal idler and B4 Double Slipper. If i have more time i will try to prove again my belief. :lol: :wink:

But the price of the modern car parts as compared to my oldies is far less and more economical than to race it. well thats just me talking.
“It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them.”
― Confucius

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

My local track is tough, and I have done some amazing acrobatics, by accident, but I can stay on the track for 30-40 minutes, most of the time without incident, but I do get the occasional ball cups that pop off.

I am not sure how hard the guys with the B4s and 22s were running the last time i was there, but I was doing an ok job keeping up with them, until I would do one of my unplanned acrobatic tricks, or rubbing the pipe.

Don't give up, the RC-10 can still be competitive buggy.

ED

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

The car doesn't look anything like it did before. In fact I've replaced most of the car. It was a team car but with the RPM world's front end. Now after so many things have been changed, most of the team car is in a box as parts. I am building this the way I had always thought of race cars in the 80's which is all graphite. Of course I've spiced some things up a bit too. I've heard the arguments about which chassis is better but at this point it's being built to what I want it to look like. I'll provide pictures as I get a little bit further along. It currently has the team car graphite chassis with the nose cut down and redrilled to accept the RPM worlds front end. The rear end has the rpm world's arms with the stock hubs and mounts using B44 cvd's. The shock towers are all carbon fiber. It has the rear tower from the factory worlds car and the front tower is from Fiber-lyte. Turnbuckles are all Lunsford Punisher Titanium and the ball ends are gone. They have been replaced with a combination of heavy duty and super heavy duty captured ends from Dubro. All of the screws are now stainless and if I could get a lock nut on it, it has one. The bell cranks are the metal Team Losi pieces. Wheels are all B4. The car is looking pretty mean. I'm definitely falling in love with it from a looks perspective. I still have other things yet to do. I've got some interesting changes to make to the chassis which I have never seen anyone else do (on this car). I'm hoping when I'm done with will be very nice looking, fast, and reliable. It hasn't been cheap but I haven't given up either. I was close though. I am stopping short of going brushless though simple because I have a couple of speed controls that can handle as low a turn as I want and brushed motors are cheap. I do have a 2.4 transmitter so it does work very well.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I had an idea about the internal shock limiters and droop. Clearly having the shocks being the object that limits downward travel can also lead to the shock bottoms coming off in a tumble. Perhaps all we need to do is limit the severity of the impact. That may sound obvious but I'm not talking about of the wreck. The goal is to not ever wreck the car or have it flip. Sadly it still does from time to time. What I was thinking was that instead of using limiters inside the shock, how about using some small springs on the main shaft in their place? This would limit the droop but would also give a little cushion in the event of a mishap. It would also dampen the sudden stop at the bottom of travel. I was thinking something small like RC10L front springs. Has anyone here tried this? It's not a total solution but if it gives enough of a cushion to do the job then it would seem like a good fix.

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

I have used springs from ball point pins back in the day for limiters. Now I just use fuel tubing.
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

The limiters I have inside my shocks are too rigid. They have no give. Tubing would definitely absorb some shock.

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Losi makes (made) them. They came in a set of different rates. Unfortunately I can't remember what they are called at the moment. -Jeff

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

My XX which I bought used in the mid 90's and then never ran has some springs like this but they are on the outside being used as bump stops. I've never even run the car yet alone taken it apart so it is possible that it has them inside as well. It seems like a good idea unless of course it didn't work as well as was believed.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

these are those springs I believe. I would expect to work as advertised.

http://www.losipartshouse.com/servlet/the-21447/LOSA5080-Internal-Shock-Spring/Detail