Modern rims for an ancient car

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dave145
Approved Member

Modern rims for an ancient car

Post by Dave145 »

Does anyone know which 1/10th scale rims would be best on an old RC10B2. I only mention B2 because I have an RC10 gold pan and I swapped the 3/16 axles from the B2 to the gold pan so I could use more modern rims/tires. Anyway, I am in need of the tires and rims. I settled on the Proline Dirt Hawgs because they say that they are for pavement, dirt and grass. The rims I am looking for need to have about half offset, not like the proline velocity wheels that have no offset, because otherwise the rims and tires rub on my shocks. Proline says that the front tires are wide front tires, and I don't know what rims would accommodate the wide front tire. As for the rear rims, I thought that Thunder Tiger re manufactured the RC10B3, so would the rear rims from the Thunder Tiger buggy fit my needs? Anyways, what would be the best (and cheapest) half offset rims for a 1/10th scale 2wd RC10B2???? Will the original front rc10b3 rims fit the "wide" tires?

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Modern rims for an ancient car

Post by scr8p »

Dave145
Approved Member

Post by Dave145 »

I read the page you posted, and someone mentioned that in order for me to use proline's velocity wheels I would need b44 cvd joints. Were they referring to the front cvd joints or the rear ones? What EXACTLY would I need to run proline dirt hawg tires on proline velocity wheels? What will I need to use for the front and the rear? Sorry for being so specific, I just have a very limited budget and I dont want to waste money on something that doesnt fit.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

you can't use the rear b44 cvds without changing either rear arms to longer ones, or changing to the b4 rear hub carriers (which will require modification), to make the rear of the car wider to accomodate the shallow offset of the b4 rear rim.

if you spend some time reading on here, there is a ton of threads that cover multiple ways of doing it. but if you're on a limited budget, just get rims that will fit the car directly for the axles you already have.

Dave145
Approved Member

Post by Dave145 »

So you're saying that if I replace my rear hub carriers with b4 hub carriers, all I'll have to do then is replace my cvd joints with ones from a b4 or b44? Should I use front or rear cvd joints off of a b44? And what about bearings? Will the ones from the b2 fit the b4 carrier?

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Dave145 wrote:So you're saying that if I replace my rear hub carriers with b4 hub carriers, all I'll have to do then is replace my cvd joints with ones from a b4 or b44? Should I use front or rear cvd joints off of a b44? And what about bearings? Will the ones from the b2 fit the b4 carrier?
All of that is covered in that link, but if you are just looking to run new rubber and rims just get the thunder tiger bx rims and a set of new b2 cvd shafts. Then the b2/3/4 cvd axel will fit and just be a matter of shimming correctly.