1984 Fever!!

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MOmo
Approved Member

Re: 1984 Fever!!

Post by MOmo »

I'll see your RWD Supra and raise you an AE86!

Soon to be on new wheels. Gotta love RWD sports cars.

MOmo
Attachments
my86bridge.JPG
86onTEs.JPG

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Nice!!! You should see lowrydesigns' AE86

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Great buy Reggie. I had an '83 Celica GTS which shared many parts with your supra. These cars are really solid and I really liked mine. The interior was designed by Recaro. It looks like you have a driver seat from the lower model. There was a longer rear spoiler that came out in later years.

There were quite a few of these supras in a local pick and pull junk yard so I was able to get one of these spoilers for my Celica.

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Since everyone is posting TOYs, how about an 89 celi? It's my WIP at the moment :mrgreen:
-Kevin
P1010923.jpg
-Kevin

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

shodog wrote:Great buy Reggie. I had an '83 Celica GTS which shared many parts with your supra. These cars are really solid and I really liked mine. The interior was designed by Recaro. It looks like you have a driver seat from the lower model. There was a longer rear spoiler that came out in later years.

There were quite a few of these supras in a local pick and pull junk yard so I was able to get one of these spoilers for my Celica.
Although I was never much of an import aficionado, that early Toyota Supra always seemed like an attractive, unique car design for its time. The rooftop spoiler was a first in a mass-produced vehicle, if I recall correctly, and the body was wedgy but muscular-looking. One of my buddies bought one of those (not sure of the exact year) and it was a decent performance car in its own right.

The bees-in-a-fartcan-muffler has gotta go in that other picture, mind you. That just looks silly and doesn't do squat for actual performance. All those do is give you "butt dyno" horsepower; the louder exhaust note makes the owner think their car has more power. :lol:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

Coelacanth wrote:The bees-in-a-fartcan-muffler has gotta go in that other picture, mind you. That just looks silly and doesn't do squat for actual performance. All those do is give you "butt dyno" horsepower; the louder exhaust note makes the owner think their car has more power. :lol:
Many exhausts actually do add HP and torque, especially on turbo cars. It's been dyno proven that some aftermarket equal-length manifolds/downpipe/catback combos add 20-40+ HP and/or torque, and help spool quicker. Add an intake for an additional 10-20+. Not bad for a few hundred bucks. On a stock N/A car you'll most likely get more noise than anything, but don't stereotype all import drivers. :wink: :mrgreen:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

LTO_Dave wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:The bees-in-a-fartcan-muffler has gotta go in that other picture, mind you. That just looks silly and doesn't do squat for actual performance. All those do is give you "butt dyno" horsepower; the louder exhaust note makes the owner think their car has more power. :lol:
Many exhausts actually do add HP and torque, especially on turbo cars. It's been dyno proven that some aftermarket downpipe/catback combos add 20-40+ HP and/or torque. Add an intake for an additional 10-20+. Not bad for a few hundred bucks. On a stock N/A car you'll most likely get more noise than anything, but don't stereotype all import drivers. :wink: :mrgreen:
Downpipes and pre-muffler exhaust mods indeed DO make a performance difference. Bees-in-a-fartcan-mufflers, though...not so much.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Absolutely! A properly tuned exhaust, plus a well thought out intake, with a cam of some type will help a car breathe better. Just replacing the stock muffler does really nothing except create noise, IMO.

I had replaced my stock exhaust manifold and the entire exhaust system from the manifold back (except the catalytic converter) with a larger diameter pipe, plus a freer flowing dual tip muffler and was amazed that I didn't *need* to grossly increase the noise to increase the performance. In fact, at idle, you could hardly tell it wasn't stock. Well, except for the slightly lumpy idle from the aftermarket cam :D
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

That's true. Headers, larger-diameter exhaust pipes, downpipes, better-flowing performance catalytic converters and true dual-exhaust setups all will make a significant improvement in performance. Tacking on a big-ass fartcan at the end of a stock, small-diameter exhaust system does almost nothing of worth. :lol:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

shodog wrote:Great buy Reggie. I had an '83 Celica GTS which shared many parts with your supra. These cars are really solid and I really liked mine. The interior was designed by Recaro. It looks like you have a driver seat from the lower model. There was a longer rear spoiler that came out in later years.

Should be fun for the money, hard to say what direction I will take it but it will likely appear stock with some subtle mods geared towards performance-

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Not 1980's but 93! Great RC year BTW!

My Supra, and I say it's mine because I lent my 16 year old son the money to buy it and he still owes me $3000.00. So, like the bank.... It's mine until paid in full! :mrgreen: Sorry about the poor pictures, I blame VintageAE for that! :P

You notice that every car shodog has in RC and one to one, is just bling! 8)

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Nice supra 8) Hopefully the TT :twisted:
-Kevin

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

No Twin Turbo, NA with a few mods. Just shy of 300HP. I don't want to kill my son just yet! :lol:

I can get a JDM TT engine with 80-100 K on it for about $1100 CDN, but I don't see the point as this car is plenty fast as it is!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Nice!!, but mine was $300 USD or $20 CDN

lowrydesign
Approved Member

Post by lowrydesign »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Nice!!! You should see lowrydesigns' AE86

oh snap!!!

..... here it is