Battery Box Question...

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

FasterLouder
Approved Member

Battery Box Question...

Post by FasterLouder »

I've got my newly aquired RC10 up to a semi decent state,now,but I'm scratching my head regarding the battery box.
I know the 'A' stamped cars,like mine,had the battery mounted sideways across the chassis,but I want to mount it vertically-using what was the servo mount in the rear bulkhead for the rear battery mount and one of the trays with the strap on it for the front.
I scored a pretty nice battery tray off the 'bay,but the sucker don't line up straight,you'll be able to see what I mean in the photo.
So,what battery box do I need to use to set the battery up this way?
An aftermarket one?
I'm sure I've seen plenty of RC10's with stock battery trays set up this way...I really don't want to drill any holes in what is a pretty dang clean chassis...

Added some more decals and scored some cool old NIP Pro Line 'Viper' tires,too! :D
Attachments
IMG_7367.JPG
IMG_7365.JPG
All The Way Alive

rctenracer
Approved Member

Re: Battery Box Question...

Post by rctenracer »

I have used servo tape in the past to mount the battery cup and it works great. That way you don't have to drill that great looking car.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

only the B and C chassies were drilled to mount the battery lenghtwise, use some double sided tape to attach the battery cup

Taylorm
Approved Member

Post by Taylorm »

how's about some shoo-goo???..........

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Post by Rustbucket »

HELLO Are any of you runing lipos ? IF so what batteys are you finding that will work with out any problems. I have estended the battey box that is not the problem . THE PROblem is the lipos or some of them are to tall to fit in the battery box. So do you any of you have any answsers to ths one? If so let me know thankyou DON The Portland Rustbucket

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

What capacity packs are you using?
I haven't tried in the 10, but I have tried in the old losi cars. My SMC 3200 pack fits perfectly, with just a little bit of space<1/8" above the pack.
I tried an SMc 5000'ish pack ant that was way too tall to fit under the rear bulkhead. The front is not so much of an issue as you can just use a puretech strap.

Synergy
Approved Member

Post by Synergy »

Trac Power 4900s should fit straight in.
Attachments
incar03.jpg
Pic courtesy Jimmy at oOple.com
incar03.jpg (22.46 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
incar03.jpg (22.46 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Here's my TC Showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Orion 3200 and 3800 mah lipo's fit great.

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Post by Rustbucket »

HELLO this is DON . ON The question on battery pack, I AM useing a 4500 trinity pack and it fits but very tight in back, To the point whear it is starting to show wear in on the pack. YOUR right on what you say up front we can all do some changing there but the back is my main problem so what do you or any one sudjust I use for a good lipo whear I wont have any problems with it fitting in place with out rubbing ? ONE MORE question if you can tell me how to up load pictures I can show you what my problem is as well, THEN you can see what is going on.
Thank you so kindly , I am not sure on what pack I can use right now. Thank you again Don your Portland Rustbucket

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Post by Rustbucket »

OK Those batterys your talking about do the 3200 and 3600 do they wear on the case any whear that is what my problems are . FOR we are looking for a couple more that will fit,, If I can a couple that will work in my RC gold pan that means both of of my RC 10 T will fit good. OK get back in touch when you can and thankyou DON

Bugle
Approved Member

Post by Bugle »

I just got a ip4200 saddle pack and it fits alright with the battery cup mounted 5mm further forward. Just needs some double sided tape between the 2 cells to stop the back cell moving around. I also use a trakpower 4900 which also requires the battery cup moved forward 5mm.

Whats this wear thing rustbucket? You using soft case lipos? The surface goes dull on my packs but doesn't wear through the hard case or even the heat shrink over the hard case in the case of the trakpower. There's a bit of flex in the rear of a tub chassis which would cause that.

To load a picture go down to the "upload attachment" section when typing out a post, click browse and find the picture on your computer then click "add the file" to upload it.
Attachments
ip4200.jpg

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Post by Rustbucket »

HELLO all well alot has been going on since I have last posted. OK on the battery box problem I am useing a hard case trinity 4500. It will work but in the rear it rubs some in whear it goes into the rear case. whear the mounting holes are for the upper support.
We have tape whear it is starting rub the case. It is a tight fit but works. Right now are trying some others battery as some of you have sudjusted.
It seems the smaller ones may be the answer to this problem. THE Lipos are neat batterys along with the brushless. That system is the way for the future for the electric .
i can tell you one thing that system makes the RC 10s fly and you have to learn another way to drive them. I have my RC 10 T set up with the 17.5 and I am still trying to get use to it .
Thank you all for all of the help you all have given to me, There is ONE thing for sure I can allways count on all of you for help. thank you again.
DON The Portland Rustbucket in Portland Oregon

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Post by Rustbucket »

HELLO again. I know I have ask this question befor . Sorry for asking again. BUT it has been awile and alot has been going on for the last months and half. Been racing at a new track in the wood burn Oregon area .
I would like to share some pictures with all of you of my RC 10s but I cant remember how to down load them. Some one a wile back was very kind and told me how to it and I forgot to write down the information on how .
If someone dose not mind could you resend me on how to down load pictures ? So I can my RC 10 buggy and RC 10 T . BOTH have new bodys and look good. I also have them on a scratch built trayler that some of you may like to see .
Thank you in advance DON

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Post by Rustbucket »

I have got the answers I needed about posting pictures from a very kind person. I will see what I can do in putting up some pictures in the future.
Thank you again Like Allways YOUR all out to help . I hope I can help someone myself some day to pay back those that has help me with answers to my questions .
DON That Portland Rustbucket .

Jeep-Power
Approved Member

Post by Jeep-Power »

diggin it up here--

I have a set of battery boxes/trays from a gold pan that I tried using on a early graphite chassis.

I need to mount the battery across the chassis, due to the flipped gearbox/ rear suspension tower.

The mounting holes on the graphite line up with the battery boxes, but when mounted, there is not enough space between the boxes to mount a 6 cell flat pack. I will have to cut the ends off of them in order for a flat pack to fit-- thus allowing it to slide out the ends of the battery boxes.

Were there different battery boxes for the fiberglass chassis, that had the mounting holes in different places (further towards the 'open' end of the box) than the gold pan boxes?
TallPeter ~ Hopeless Gearhead
Early Goldpans 'Fun Buggy' RC10C B44.3 RC8B3.1 RC12l 10LS Pro10