Stealth Diff slipping

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

cbracken

Stealth Diff slipping

Post by cbracken »

When I take off at any speed, there is major slipping and you can hear it. Im 90 percent sure that its my stealth diff. My slipper clutch is completely tight and i cant detect any slippage by sight or feel with a paperclip ot wire. The ball bearings are new in the large center gear, along with the rings that the balls ride along. The diff is tightened according to the instructions in the stealth manual. Any ideas?

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Stealth Diff slipping

Post by scr8p »

i've never had an issue with a stealth diff slipping. :?

first off, are you positive that you built it correctly? not saying you don't know what your doing, but it needs to be asked.

take it back apart and redo it. before you put the trans all back together, make sure the diff is working properly. hold the outdrives and try to spin the diff gear. it should not be easy. if the diff feels "right", and you put it back together and it still slips, take a look at the slipper. you may need a new slipper disc or thrust bearings.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3721

cbracken

Post by cbracken »

your most likely right, im still in the learning phase. I followed the directions to the best of my ability and im pretty sure i have the diff right. i may need the pad, or the slipper may not be assembled right. i purchased this from a freind, and the slipper clutch doesnt match the one in the manual exactly. Ill see about maybe getting a new slipper assembly, with all the factory parts and a new pad. but, i do feel like i dont completely know what im doing! Still a lot of fun though! Thanks!

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

post up some pictures of what you have for the slipper.
it is pretty easty to tell which is slipping.
Hold both rear wheels so they cannot rotate and spin the spur gear by hand. If the spur rotates but the adjustment nut does not, then the slipper is slipping and not the diff. If both the spur gear and the adjustment nut spin, then the diff gear is slipping inside the trans.

If the nut is completely tightened down ont he slipper, most likely the diff is what is causing the slippage.

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

a diff slipping makes almost a barking noise, the slipper is a much more quiet sound where you can just hear the motor revving up. if the screws through the spur gear are too long they will rub on the backplate. Post some pics of your slipper setup in the order you took everything off the top shaft, it will be easier to see what's what with some pictures
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

msedsp
Approved Member

Post by msedsp »

I'd suggest taking the trans case apart with the slipper and spur still attached, hold the topshaft and try to turn the spur, if the spur slips than its the slipper, if not check the diff, if it is the diff, check and make sure that the t nut that goes into the outdrive is installed in the right direction, hope thios helps!

cbracken

Post by cbracken »

O.K. Thanks, ill check these things and get some pics up. i appreciate all the help! :D

cbracken

Post by cbracken »

I held the wheels so that they wouldnt spin and turned the spur gear, the diff didnt slip, it was tightened pretty much all the way.(the spring was bottomed out) I loosened the nut almost all the way before it would slip at all under the strength of my fingers. Here's a pic of my assembly

cbracken

Post by cbracken »

OK , you all inspired me to a new discovery. I tightened the diff and the slipping stopped altogether, but when i tightened it before, the t was bottomed out. Can the spring get wworn, or to compressed over time? The t shouldnt be stripped i assume, because it tightened. I still gett teh open diff affect, even being this tight.