3c lipo. 6 gear trans

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

illshou
Approved Member

3c lipo. 6 gear trans

Post by illshou »

Broke the front bulkhead on my traxxas slash so I decided to throw the velineon brushless and 3c lipo out of my slash into my gold pan rc10 with a 6 gear trans. Diden't even last 10 min and tha counter gears in the trans stripped out. Hoped it mite last a bit longer than that :(

markt311
Approved Member

Re: 3c lipo. 6 gear trans

Post by markt311 »

I haven't been able to break anything on a slash, if you can manage to break a slash bulkhead then you can definately break a poor old 6 gear trans. Put a stealth in it, it's much quieter.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

wyattroa
Approved Member

Post by wyattroa »

i thought you were unable to put a stealth in place of the 6gear trans? is this wrong?
robert

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

yes and no.. the a-stamp chassis did not come with the holes drilled for the stealth transmission. the b-stamp chassis had the stealth transmission holes. but.. bitd when you bought a stealth as an upgrade for your 6 gear buggy it also came with a drill guide that you bolted to the back of your a-stamp chassis and was then able to drill perfect holes to fit your new stealth.

now if you have a near perfect a-stamp chassis don't drill it for a stealth. just pick up a b-stamp chassis or a chassis that already has the holes for the stealth. now if your a-stamp is normal used condition go ahead and drill it. but please take your time and do it right. i have seen too many chassis' that have been drilled and the holes are way off..

note the stealth drill template shows up on ebay nip once and a while.

wyattroa
Approved Member

Post by wyattroa »

well i just bought the mamba sidewinder with 4600kv brushless and through it on the buggy which has the 6 gear. The thing ran ungodly fast on 3s..after about 5 minutes i didnt feel like pushing my luck much.. i couldnt get up to top speed anyways without spinning out. I then put in the 3300mah 6cell that i had and it is still very fast. I will run it like this. I know that i needed a spur gear prior to this so if that wears out i wont be upset. I love seeing this old buggy get up and go! I have a vxl brushless system from my buddy that will be going into my original rc10t with the stealth trans.
robert

Jeep-Power
Approved Member

Post by Jeep-Power »

Hey folks--

I'm looking to make a brushless 'fun buggy' out of my old '6 gear' RC-10. It'll be for tearing up the lawn, baseball field, and wear a set of sand tires for days at the beach.

I upgraded the plastic idler gears years ago to a set of metal ones. Are they still available? (if you are laughing, please stop ;) )

Otherwise, it seems like a (now 'vintage') Stealth trans will be a better choice.

Can someone PLEASE recommend a decent 'sport' brushless motor. I've been reading brushless stuff for at least 6 hours now, on multiple forums, and am more confused than ever. I will like something with decent speed (no faster than 40mph) and run-time. As far as I can tell at this point, I'm looking at a 4000kv motor. Any suggestions/experience, please?

I'm planning on running a castle ESC & 2s LiPO.
TallPeter ~ Hopeless Gearhead
Early Goldpans 'Fun Buggy' RC10C B44.3 RC8B3.1 RC12l 10LS Pro10

illshou
Approved Member

Post by illshou »

Alot of the guys that run slashes swear by the castle esc with the waterproof traxxas velineon motor.

Jeep-Power
Approved Member

Post by Jeep-Power »

wyattroa wrote: I then put in the 3300mah 6cell that i had and it is still very fast. I will run it like this. I know that i needed a spur gear prior to this so if that wears out i wont be upset. I love seeing this old buggy get up and go!
robert

wish I read this more thoroughly at first. :?

the 6 cell/2 s Lipo sounds lie the way to go--

what spur/pinion ration were you running?

The 6 gear has the plastic idlers, still?

mattxb
Approved Member

Post by mattxb »

I have a VXL system and I like both the speed control and the motor. Its easy simple and will run a sensored, non-sensored or brushed motor. I run it in my Slash with a 2s 4250mah pack and its like night and day compared to the old 12T and XL5. Got mine brand new for $120.

wyattroa
Approved Member

Post by wyattroa »

Jeep-Power wrote:
wyattroa wrote: I then put in the 3300mah 6cell that i had and it is still very fast. I will run it like this. I know that i needed a spur gear prior to this so if that wears out i wont be upset. I love seeing this old buggy get up and go!
robert

wish I read this more thoroughly at first. :?

the 6 cell/2 s Lipo sounds lie the way to go--

what spur/pinion ration were you running?

The 6 gear has the plastic idlers, still?
Yeah the idler gears are still plastic.. I bought the updated versions of them though.. they are not the original ones. The pinion is 18t.. the spur gear, i have no idea what the spur gear is..lol
robert

Jeep-Power
Approved Member

Post by Jeep-Power »

wyattroa wrote:
Yeah the idler gears are still plastic.. I bought the updated versions of them though.. they are not the original ones. The pinion is 18t.. the spur gear, i have no idea what the spur gear is..lol
robert
Sweet-- good news!

48 pitch?

I've got a full selection of 64 pitch gears-- it will be great to be able to use them-- do they hold up to brushless?

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i've never had one, but i've always wanted the mamba max 5700 esc/motor combo. from what i read its a yard basher system on 2s, but on 3s is wicked fast.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

badhoopty wrote:i've never had one, but i've always wanted the mamba max 5700 esc/motor combo. from what i read its a yard basher system on 2s, but on 3s is wicked fast.
It will break everything you own and ruin your passion for r/c. :cry: Sorry, that's a bit pessimistic, but true. I plan on investing in bag motors to go with my Mamba Max's. They were constructed from the ashes of the 300. And if that's the case then 3s lipo would be the bottomless pit in Sparta. In fact, if you want I can send you a 3s and Mamba Max 5700 to try. Free of charge. It's one of those things that's fun to try over a weekend, but not a worthy investment. :wink:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Jeep-Power
Approved Member

Post by Jeep-Power »

It will break everything you own and ruin your passion for r/c. :cry: Sorry, that's a bit pessimistic, but true.
:lol:

Well, it can't get much worse for me-- I put my RC-10 on the shelf 10 years ago and thought I'd never pick it back up again. Thankfully I have a hard time getting rid of stuff. I'm back here because of RC Rock Crawling. If I loose interest in the RC10 again, it will only serve me to save some $$! I was possessed/obsessed with RC for years-- and the demon is back! :mrgreen:

yeah, it seems 5700KV & 3C is way overkill for what we have here-- from what I've heard, a 2C with a 10-13T (3000- 4000KV) motor will be ideal in a RC10-- I have driven a 3500KV / MM / 2C Lipo'd Slash -- that was enough for me!

I'm planning on utilizing the Castle software 'tunibility' to avoid tearing the ass out of the drivetrain-- (fingers crossed)

Jeep-Power
Approved Member

Post by Jeep-Power »

here it is-- lovng it! 8)