2010 Vonats Ultima buildup....

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Brandon G
Approved Member

2010 Vonats Ultima buildup....

Post by Brandon G »

Got this cheap about 2 weeks ago. The car was in much better shape than I figured. Came with lots of nice stuff too. I will be prepping this car to take with me to CT this year. (ran a Losi and Associated in the last 2, figured I'd give Kyosho some love. Just for you scr8p)

I swiped the wheels and tires off the Frog to go on here. 2.2" all around. Not completely sure how I am going to mount the Lipo yet.
Attachments
DSC02484.JPG
DSC02485.JPG
DSC02486.JPG
DSC02486.JPG (194.72 KiB) Viewed 1849 times
DSC02486.JPG
DSC02486.JPG (194.72 KiB) Viewed 1849 times

bdrmbully
Approved Member

Re: 2010 Vonats Ultima buildup....

Post by bdrmbully »

nice looking base to start with. you can run li poly in a vintage race? what are you gonna put in the gear box to hold up for the race?
2nd place is just the 1st loser

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Nice one, Brandon. Looks like you're almost ready to go.

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

bdrmbully wrote:nice looking base to start with. you can run li poly in a vintage race? what are you gonna put in the gear box to hold up for the race?
Lipo all the way if you choose. They only allow 17.5 BL or 27t brushed motors for this race. Should hold up well. This car came equipped with a new 48 pitch spur/countergear to boot.

I tossed around the idea fo running a Stealth tranny in this car, but dogbone length would be an issue. Besides, it would be like putting a 350 Chevy in a Cobra. Just can't do it.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

A desert gator body and doubled up shocktowers is all you need more (and electronics but that's a detail :mrgreen: )
Oh, and a small brace over the front of the front bulkhead hingepins is a real big saver on spare parts too

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

Brandon G wrote:
bdrmbully wrote:nice looking base to start with. you can run li poly in a vintage race? what are you gonna put in the gear box to hold up for the race?
Lipo all the way if you choose. They only allow 17.5 BL or 27t brushed motors for this race. Should hold up well. This car came equipped with a new 48 pitch spur/countergear to boot.

I tossed around the idea fo running a Stealth tranny in this car, but dogbone length would be an issue. Besides, it would be like putting a 350 Chevy in a Cobra. Just can't do it.
make sure its actually 48pitch, i actually had a spur that came with a ultima , it was the 48p metric, with the 32p inside gear attached inside. it was a option house spur gear basically, that allowed you to use the normal internals, but the main spur was that 48p metric, almost stripped it out while test powering it. it was a black gear. the robinson ones are usally white and are actually real 48pitch (non metric)

i never knew they made one like that till i did some research.

as for lipo mounting, 3racing makes or made, some saddle velcro straps, i have one for a non saddle, its hard to explain but it would probably work with a few holes in this scenario.

i would try 2 of these for the plastic peices
http://www.3racing-parts.com/shop/subc-battery-straps-socket-fluorescent-yellow-3racing-3racbb01fy-p-90001574.html

and then either try to see if those long straps fit and will close. or maybe get these and see if they could be adapted?
http://www.3racing-parts.com/shop/long-battery-straps-27cm-black-3racing-3racbb02bl-p-90001438.html

just some ideas, not sure if it will work out or not, but somewhere to start, those plastic peices are probably the perfect thing to keep the lipos snug

here is the main battery strap page
http://www.3racing-parts.com/shop/common-hopup-parts-battery-straps-c-581_589_1418.html

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Mr. ED wrote:A desert gator body and doubled up shocktowers is all you need more (and electronics but that's a detail :mrgreen: )
Oh, and a small brace over the front of the front bulkhead hingepins is a real big saver on spare parts too
I have a nice Losi XXX painted body I got from Bill. I may have to see if that would work. Not quite sure if it will cover the entire chassis.

The brace across the front should not be a problem. I was wondering if the RPM RC10 Team car front arms would work on this car. Make it a little wider and toughen it up a little. We'll see when I get home.

I had pair of new RPM Losi swept arms that I put on my Ultima Pro. (The one with the RC10 aluminum rear wheels and paddles) They fit very well. Almost too well in fact. It widened out the front about 1/4" on each side, makes the car look better I think.

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

mikedealer wrote:
Brandon G wrote:

make sure its actually 48pitch, i actually had a spur that came with a ultima , it was the 48p metric, with the 32p inside gear attached inside. it was a option house spur gear basically, that allowed you to use the normal internals, but the main spur was that 48p metric, almost stripped it out while test powering it. it was a black gear. the robinson ones are usally white and are actually real 48pitch (non metric)

i never knew they made one like that till i did some research.

as for lipo mounting, 3racing makes or made, some saddle velcro straps, i have one for a non saddle, its hard to explain but it would probably work with a few holes in this scenario.

i would try 2 of these for the plastic peices
http://www.3racing-parts.com/shop/subc-battery-straps-socket-fluorescent-yellow-3racing-3racbb01fy-p-90001574.html

and then either try to see if those long straps fit and will close. or maybe get these and see if they could be adapted?
http://www.3racing-parts.com/shop/long-battery-straps-27cm-black-3racing-3racbb02bl-p-90001438.html

just some ideas, not sure if it will work out or not, but somewhere to start, those plastic peices are probably the perfect thing to keep the lipos snug

here is the main battery strap page
http://www.3racing-parts.com/shop/common-hopup-parts-battery-straps-c-581_589_1418.html
I believe it is a black geared spur. Thanks for the heads up, thet would have sucked stripping out the gear with one pull of the throttle. I believe Kyosho still has metric pinions available?

As far as the battery strap goes, Pure Tech is still in business, I think I would go that route if I was using velcro.

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

Brandon G wrote: I believe Kyosho still has metric pinions available?
I don't know about kyosho, because they are generally hard to find anything for around here, but tamiya and robinson still carry them.
Tamiya calls them "AV" pinions
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=tamiya+AV

Robinson calls 'em metric pinions
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=&FVSEARCH=robinson+metric

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

HPI also does metric pinions, and Losi front JRX-2 etc arms are indeed direct fits at bulkhead and carrierside (except for the hinge pin diameter).
I would stay away from swept back arms, and trailing steering knuckles: unless you want to go with a shorter wheelbase body like a VW bug. Is your chassis a lwb or swb?

Some losi bodies look very good, not sure about the one you mention (my losi terminology is near nill after the JR-X2). Width would be the most likely no-no for a good fit.

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

The chassis is the Duratrax and it is the same WB as the Turbo Ultima (it is using the T Ultima top deck). The primary reason I picked up the car since it was the same chassis I bought for my 1st T.U. when I was a kid.

I see what you mean about the swept arms shortening the WB. If only I could find another set of the RPM arms for the JRX2...

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

3rd year, 3rd different mfg. what'cha gonna run in 2011, schumacher........ traxxas? :)

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Brandon G wrote:The chassis is the Duratrax and it is the same WB as the Turbo Ultima (it is using the T Ultima top deck). The primary reason I picked up the car since it was the same chassis I bought for my 1st T.U. when I was a kid.

I see what you mean about the swept arms shortening the WB. If only I could find another set of the RPM arms for the JRX2...
The andy's arms for the ultima are the same dimensions as those I believe

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

scr8p wrote:3rd year, 3rd different mfg. what'cha gonna run in 2011, schumacher........ traxxas? :)
Only time will tell, my friend....

Actually, I have a nice Dynastorm begging for a flogging, so it may be Tamiya...

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

Mr. ED wrote:The andy's arms for the ultima are the same dimensions as those I believe

I bought a set of Ultima Andy's A-arms for my Jrx2 when the originals broke. That was back when it first came out and all those parts were easy to find though :-)