Custom Works Dominator resto (done for now 9/14)

The place for all things Custom Works.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Custom Works Dominator resto (done for now 9/14)

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

The Dom arrived and is in better condition than I’d ever hoped. Just needs a thorough cleaning. The poor thing’s been neglected and needs a little TLC. I’ll use this thread to chronicle the restoration and ask any questions I have. Feel free to chime in with any answers or post any info or questions you may have. I won’t have time to do the entire restoration today, but I can at least start. First off I need a positive id on these rims so I can find a matching set. They’re in great condition and should clean up like new. I’m tempted to paint the body I bought for it today, but I’ll wait for the clean up to be complete. I bought paint and have an old school theme worked up for it. More on that later. I’ll also whiten up the parts. I normally dye everything black, but not this time. I want to leave it original.

While the grass needs mowed and the lake looks tempting on another perfect Southern Indiana day, the restoration process of a long desired car takes precedent. I’ll start with a high pressure garden hose then quickly disassemble and give everything a good drying and light coat of WD40.

Please chime in if you have a positive id on the rims. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

old_rc_lover
Approved Member

Re: Custom Works Dominator resto(let the wrenching begin)

Post by old_rc_lover »

I am looking for a Dominator my self. Some day I will find one.
I try and keep my restores original also.
Are you going to do this paint job on the body?
Picture0011.jpg
Picture0011.jpg (57.3 KiB) Viewed 2951 times
Picture0011.jpg
Picture0011.jpg (57.3 KiB) Viewed 2951 times

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

old_rc_lover wrote:Are you going to do this paint job on the body?
No, but thanks a lot! Mine will look like crap compared to that one! :evil:
Just kidding. :lol: Mine will look a little different, but I love that. Classic backlay too. Very 1989!
I'm behind on the resto due to non r/c life, but hopefully I can finish the process in the next couple of weeks. This and what I think will be a very cool RC10 project(I rec'd some parts for that this very day)will be a lot more fun when I have more time this Fall and Winter! :D
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Yellow rims in the ad are RPS yokomo 834 rims and Team Losi tires, the alloy's you have are Advance Mini-mags

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Charlie don't surf wrote:Yellow rims in the ad are RPS yokomo 834 rims and Team Losi tires, the alloy's you have are Advance Mini-mags
Now we're talkin'! scr8p said mini mags, but I felt a sense of doubt in his voice. He should never question the force! ...:shock: :lol: Thanks for the info! 8)
Ken

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

I have some NIP Dominator parts and access to more if you need Thumbs :wink: No mini-mags though :|

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Charlie don't surf wrote:I have some NIP Dominator parts and access to more if you need Thumbs :wink: No mini-mags though :|
Well, the way I see it I will run this at least once at the home oval, but I can do that with the wheels I have. When it graduates to shelf duty I can simply display it mini-mags side out. I could use some help with easily available stock looking tire choices from you freaks...I mean extremely knowledgeable r/c enthusists. :mrgreen: Thanks! 8)
Ken

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

I love Doms!

I have a yellow CW antenna tube and mount if you need an extra. :wink:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

It was way too humid out today so I should have gone to my parent’s where I could work in the part of the basement that I ruined long ago painting bodies, but I kinda wanted to be home. I wish I had it to do over again, I’d make a couple of minor changes, but it’s acceptable I guess. I’m holding off trimming until I decide on tires.

Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: Custom Works Dominator resto(body pics added 8/8)

Well, I’ve been tearing this down for the past hour or two and figure I’d take some time while the plastic parts are taking their bath to update the thread. I’m sure everyone is dying to know what’s going on with my Dom. :lol: I ended up just sitting on the deck and drinking a couple of beers the day I took it outside to turn the hose on it. It’s not dirty enough and too precious to subject to that torture(even though I’ve done it to countless other cars and quickly tear them down and go over every part with a WD40 soaked rag). It’s a pretty effective cleaning method just don’t dilly-dally around with the disassembly. I’ll go wash all the plastic parts with a toothbrush in the sink now(they’ve been soaking in Dawn for about 30 min now). I’m soaking in it!(for those that get that joke, I don’t know whether to punch you or hug you) :lol: Depending on how they turn out I might have to give them the “whitening” treatment. As for the metal parts I’m just using a soft rag. I don’t want them to shine at all, but just be clean. Looks more old school that way. Update parts pics in a bit… :D

Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: Custom Works Dominator resto (more cleaning 8/21)

Man, I don’t care how often you do it…cleaning plastic parts with a toothbrush SUCKS! The parts look a little better than the pic reveals. I used my cell phone and emailed the pic to myself for upload because I’m too lazy to hook up the camera again. :oops: Were Dom parts white or kinda off-white? I honestly don’t remember. The body posts are very yellow and will definitely have to be dealt with along with the servo mounts. The battery strap(which I figured a loss)cleaned up great. The other pic is just another from the phone earlier today after trimming the shell a bit.

Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

I had planned on pulling an all-nighter and finishing this, but I need to contemplate shades of white before I move on. Going to watch Ninja Assassin again. I watch about 2 hours of tv a week and it’s in the form of a movie on Saturday night after the wife and kid go to bed. Not that I hate tv and movies, just don’t have time. Soon I will again though. If you haven’t seen Ninja Assassin ya best get it comin! Kick ass! Anyway, putting the Dom to bed for the night. Here’s what one looks like broken down(minus chassis, upper plate and bumper). So few parts yet so bad-ass… 8)

Ken

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Dominator parts are pure white NIP, close in color to NIP old RPM white parts, but a little brighter still--you want a pic compairson?

And be carefull what treatment you use, a few will ruin the parts

xanadu
Approved Member

Post by xanadu »

When you put it back together, watch the supports for the idler gears/ layshaft by the motor. They are offset so that you can adjust the rear chain. If the chain is tight, then flip the supports from side to side. Clever design, but it can trick you.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

For reference-