blue team chassis

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TZona
Approved Member

blue team chassis

Post by TZona »

were these only add ons ,not in any kit? how rare are they?

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: blue team chassis

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

TZona wrote:were these only add ons ,not in any kit? how rare are they?
Didn't LowClass or someone else say they bought a few of these from Associated within the last year? I might be way off. If that's true I'd say not too rare. Do you have one, or want one? If they are rare and you want one you can have one anodized or powder coated. There's been a fair amount of both going on here lately. Pretty cool because you can pick any color you want.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

the blue ones are definitely rare, resently a blue chassis & nose plate sold for nearly $300.00 nib

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

marui hunter 73 wrote:the blue ones are definitely rare, resently a blue chassis & nose plate sold for nearly $300.00 nib
...told ya I might be way off!! :oops: :lol:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:
marui hunter 73 wrote:the blue ones are definitely rare, resently a blue chassis & nose plate sold for nearly $300.00 nib
...told ya I might be way off!! :oops: :lol:
Got a link to that auction? I have never seen someone stupid enough to pay that for a blue chassis and nose-

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

Hotshotman
Approved Member

Post by Hotshotman »

I think the blue chassis are relatively rare, since to my knowlege, they weren't standard equipment on any kit.
I got a red, blue and black chassis from associated about 10 yrs ago and they are all anodized finish. At that time they also offered a lime green anodized finish one too.
I checked the link for ebay auction. And you know what? I wasn't aware that associated ever sold a powdercoated chassis in that shade of blue. Mine is almost navy blue, like the finish on the blue team shocks and blue screws. Also, the tag on the part looks like its from the early nineties. The parts that were packaged around 10 years ago had an american flag type logo on the card as far as I know.
I'm really curious about this part too now.

Hotshotman
Approved Member

Post by Hotshotman »

Here's a pic of those chassis. The blue one is in the background. Note the darker shade of blue vs the ebay chassis previously mentioned.
Attachments
downsized_0721002203[1].jpg

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

I got a red, blue and black chassis from associated about 10 yrs ago and they are all anodized finish
You sure you bought them directly from Associated :?: and not the aftermarket company that was re-anodizing them.

Hotshotman
Approved Member

Post by Hotshotman »

Yes, directly from associated. I got a gold chassis in the same shipment too. The blue, black, and red chassis are all A stamps without the 4 stealth mounting bolts drilled. The gold chassis is a B stamp with the holes drilled drilled but not countersunk. And they had NO tags on them. In fact I don't recall them being individually wrapped in plastic at all. Just stacked on top of each other.
Odd.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

I raced for Associated for many years, and before that always ran the RC10 and knew most everything about them since 1985 and I can't recall them ever selling any anodized chassis in other than gold or black. But when I retired from the racing scene, I honestly never followed it for the last 12 to 14 years, until just recently again so it could be that they sold other anodized colors.
They also produced a line of powder coated chassis with a Fl. Orange color, Fl. Green, and Light Blue like the picture below.
This blue one is mine that I got as a Team driver from them in the 90's, and milled it myself (after hours) while working at Composite Craft as an R&D Design Engineer. The motor plate was chromed by my friend Jeff Harris recently.
I'm sure I can get a confirmation on this from Curtis Husting, the engineering manager there since they began, regarding the anodized colors they produced as a company.
IMG_5470.jpg

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

the colours for asso chassis are as follow's. they are all powder coated not anodised (not sure on blue though!) :)

hot pink: 6302
red: 6303
blue: 6304
green: 6306
yellow: 6307

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

Hotshotman wrote:Here's a pic of those chassis. The blue one is in the background. Note the darker shade of blue vs the ebay chassis previously mentioned.
that blue and red i doubt is factory sorry to tell you! :roll:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

those aren't the first ano'd chassis' i've heard about coming from associated in colors other than black and gold. there's quite a few threads on here discussing it. i just don't feel like looking for them. :wink:

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Back around 10 years ago Associated decided to sell their old stock, dead stock, forgotten about stock, whatever it was in the way of nose/motor plates & aluminum tubs. I don't know what the heck was going on but the whole thing seemed kind of sketchy from a customers point of view. If I remember correctly it was all being sold for pretty cheap as well. What I bought was a team car black tub with nose and motor plate. What they sent me was an A-stamp tub that was anodized black. Not only that but the anodize job was messed up and all of the pieces were just thrown into a single bag. Consequently they scratched each other all up during shipping. Pretty much what Hotshotman said.

So it remains a bit of a mystery what exactly went on with that fire sale they had. Now that leaves the question of whether or not they sold different colored anodized tubs during that time. I can't vouch for that as I only bought a black one.