Is a dual sport worth the restore for dirt oval?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

gjeeper04
Approved Member

Is a dual sport worth the restore for dirt oval?

Post by gjeeper04 »

I have been getting a collection together. I ebayed a couple and dug out my old car. Now I have three gold pans, one is converted to a dual sport. I dont know what the dual sport is really for though. Did they use these for dirt oval? I am thinking of making it into a runner for dirt oval. But I would want to know if anyone used it for that. Here are some pics, if i can get them to load...

also any votes on restoring the other ones, or suggestions on what to turn them into seems you all have very cool projects.

Thanks, Gary

gjeeper04
Approved Member

Re: Is a dual sport worth the restore for dirt oval?

Post by gjeeper04 »

I cant get any to upload sorry :(

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I was kinda out of touch with r/c when the DS was released, but acquired one later. I don't find them nearly as exciting as a lot of the conversions I've seen, but if you do a search on here you'll see quite a few. I don't think they had a specific race format in mind. I think they just wanted to make something that a scale body would fit on. :|
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

arf
Approved Member

Post by arf »

Because AE did not have a sedan they released an on-road RC10 hoping for another Slash like phenomenon. I raced mine against 4WD cars at the time. In mod class it was competitive, stock motor it was a pig.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

gjeeper04 wrote:I cant get any to upload sorry :(
Heres the tutorial: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=16337

gjeeper04
Approved Member

Post by gjeeper04 »

Thanks so much for pointing me to the tutorial, I had to resize them all using paint. It worked!

Anyway, here they are
Attachments
This is a stocker
This is a stocker
This is the DS conversion car
This is the DS conversion car
This is the one from when I was a kid
This is the one from when I was a kid
This is the collection of buggies
This is the collection of buggies

Chris K
Approved Member

Post by Chris K »

In my opinion, the Dual Sport was a great platform that never really found a place - in either the racing world or the 'bashing' world.

The car was great - an evolved RC 10 in onroad clothes that when properly set up (not always the easiest to do) would drive and handle as well as the tires would allow. AND, that could possibly be the reason that the cars were never wildly popular as the tires were somewhat hard to allow for reasonable wear and therefore were not particularly grippy - particularly on unprepared surfaces.

With that said, a groupe off us raced them in the Kansas City area for a couple of summers - they were fun when run on sugar/pop sprayed asphalt and could be made to balance forward and side bite when using front and rear sway bars. BUT, since they were a bit challenging to set up (as opposed to the up and coming 4 wheel drive sedans) they never achieved much popularity here in the Kansas City area and eventually faded from the scene.

Fast forward to today - I have pretty much 3 complete cars, one of which is fitted with a dirt oval body (the BoLink modified with open front and closed rear wheels), one of which has a Mustang body and the other of which is pretty much naked and waiting to find one of the Mercedes sedan bodies which I enjoyed running with my Dual Sport. IF my memory serves me correctly, I even reviewed a Nitro Dual Sport for Radio Controlled Model Cars but that car is long gone for lack of a venue to run it in.

I would ablsolutely consider a Dual Sport as a good candidate for dirt oval - lots of good weight down low and the proven stealth transmission when coupled to the excellent Associated slipper would be a good combination, particularly on a track which would support the Custom Works Street Trac tires.

In fact, you NOW have me thinking....

:shock:
Wherever you go; there you are!

Shadow

Post by Shadow »

My local club used to run a "Hot rod" class using the DS. A stock motor, 6 cell pack, and a pre 1948 body made it a fun and cheap spec class. With some tuning I think the DS could race dirt oval and be competitive.

gjeeper04
Approved Member

Post by gjeeper04 »

Cool thanks for the good info. I am still trying to decide.... The track we are building is not done yet anyway.