Raider shocks.

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Qtschmidt

Raider shocks.

Post by Qtschmidt »

Does anyone know of any other shocks that will fit the raider that are better than the stock red ones thay came with I know the kyosho golds are really good shocks but they are hard to find and costly ?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Raider shocks.

Post by Coelacanth »

3Racing makes a set of shocks for the Kyosho Lazer which are very nice for the money. They are close to the Kyosho Gold shock lengths but will require some minor modification. I have these installed on my CYANide Optima.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/3racing-Alu-F-R-Damper-kyhosho-Lazer-ZX-5-zx5-01bu-/380338479697?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588df0a251

If I recall correctly, the rears are a bit longer than the rear Gold shocks, but I did 2 things to reduce the length: Added a 5mm plastic spacer on the piston shaft inside the shocks, which shortens the shock travel by about that much. I also removed the included captured-ball shock ends and installed some short 4.8mm ball cups (Kyosho's 5.8mm shock ends are also quite short). This should reduce the length by about 10mm or so.

I also found the 3Racing shocks very stiff, but once I added 30W oil and opened up the pistol holes a bit, they were smooth as silk.

If you're interested in sticking with Kyosho Golds, I have a spare set of fronts that I could part with for $25. If you're interested, PM me.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

tim.sanderson
Approved Member

Post by tim.sanderson »

Also, I believe the front and rears are the same length. (I'll have to check when I get home late tonight.
Maybe 4 fronts would fit on all 4 corners?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

vintage AE's Raider is by far the best-looking one I've seen, and has both F & R gold shocks. I found this with a quick forum search:

vintage AE's build thread:

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14376

Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

Coelacanth wrote:vintage AE's Raider is by far the best-looking one I've seen, and has both F & R gold shocks. I found this with a quick forum search:

vintage AE's build thread:

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14376

HAHAHA You are wrong my friend. That Raider is now MINE. I bought it and I can tell you the gold shocks transform the car a lot. I ran it on the track and it was cutting corners like it was on rails. the only problem I've found is the stock plastic dogbones break easily when you upgrade the power and throw the car on a track with good traction. It'll snap the bones in a few feet.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I'm not wrong, I'm correct--that Raider was built by vintage AE and later sold to you! :) You're lucky to have purchased such a nicely restored and upgraded Raider--but give credit where it's due. ;)

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

Oh no doubt Vintage AE did an amazing job on the Raider. That's why I had to buy it. It's an awesome runner. I can't wait until it's first race.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I was unaware any of the versions came with plastic dogbones. I know mine has regular old metal ones. There are Option House swing shafts for it part number: W-5062

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

They are plastic bones with metal drive ends pressed in. I'll post some pics. Thanks for that part #. I definitely need universals or cvd's. Also need to figure out what I can do to mount newer wheels and tires.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Hmmm Interesting... Maybe the plastic ones came with the original Raider as there were several variations.

Raider
Raider ARR
Turbo Raider
Raider Pro
Raider Pro ARR

Then there was a rebodied Raider called the Super Bomber, and a Robbe version called the Klack Racer. Kyosho even threw some hop-ups in the Raider pro box, and slapped some stickers on the front that said Turbo Raider Pro.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

Yeah the original Raider had the plastic bones. Both of my Raider's happen to be originals and Luckily Vintage AE had already installed one metal dog bone and I had one for something that fit good.

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

My original Raider (red body box art) had full steel dogbones. In fact, they had a larger diameter center section I believe. As for upgrading your wheels/tires... you can either try to source some triumph wheels (2.2), or consider a conversion to RB5 front carriers/steering blocks. Then you can use many different options (12mm hex on the front and rear). You could put virtually any front carriers on it with little modification. RC10, Losi, Traxxas...You can also put Ultima ones up there, add crp 5mm axles and run Tamiya wheels. (iguess the Traxxas option gives you 5mm axles too technically.)

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

The dog bones with the larger center section are the plastic ones. They have metal ends, but the center is plastic. You don't realize it until they snap. :lol: :lol: