Some worlds car variation questions and your thoughts

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jwscab

Some worlds car variation questions and your thoughts

Post by jwscab »

Well......I picked up a 'mostly' worlds car from ebay recently, kind of jumped the gun on the bidding, threw a hail mary bid, and actually won. I got the car but it's pretty beat. Looks like it was a solidly raced car. Kind of glad I just barely won, as I would have been a little more upset if I went up to my max bid. Bottom of the chassis is pretty polished from what I think might have been a clay type track, mostly near the rear.

my question is about the variations over the production run. I'm trying to figure out if the car was a later one, or earlier one, or just bits and pieces. I initially thought it was a late all black car, but it turns out some stuff has been dyed.

but some of the items also don't make sense. Would a worlds car have had mostly white parts, arm mounts, trans, but have black bellcranks? Is that a possibility?

here are the worlds parts the car had:
front arms
chassis
front shock tower
rear brace
steering bellcranks, black
shocks and parts, I think the clamps are the earlier type, not B2 like.
black nose tubes

car was fitted with:
poorly dyed standard fiberglass rear tower
trimmed bulkhead so I think it was 'second' type, with a single hole in line with the wing tubes, dyed black, no upper link ears anymore :cry:
arm mounts, rear arms(not late type), rear hubs, c-hubs, steel axles and blocks, trans case, were white, all dyed black.
cvds instead of universals.

the ugly:
black nose plate, poorly chopped to mimic a worlds type, plus its quite worn from faceplanting.
chopped bulkhead
worn arms and chassis bottom and pretty much all hardware(purple anodized)
badly hacked motor plate :evil:

missing:
rear shock tower
batter brace
correct wheels
universals

So if you had this car, knowing you have a bunch of other cars already, what would you do with it? (consider you don't have ANY worlds cars, unlike like some here (cough*reg*cough).

would you make it complete? sell off the worlds parts to recoup the expense? I dunno...just not sure what to do with it...I'm thinking I could find some decent used parts that are missing, I have all the white parts necessary to make it an early one, minus the bulkhead. Use fresh hardware, a nice clean rebuild and it might be a decent roller for someone looking for a vintage ride?

lemme know what you think.....

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: Some worlds car variation questions and your thoughts

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Sounds like a mid car, but then as race vehicles go we break parts and replace them with whatever is on the Hobby shop wall- Pics? :mrgreen:

The cars with white parts, but black bell cranks and hubs and spur were produced for sure- to restore, the nose and the front tower are going to be the hardest parts for sure but I can help you out with battery straps, rear tower, universals and some other parts if you decide to restore it-

Or was I not supposed to respond to this one? :lol:
"jwscab" *cough* reg *cough*

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

No, I definitely wanted you to post, but with a poor worlds car newb viewpoint, not:

*Pshaw, worn out worlds car, throw it away and get me a NIB one** (in royal snobby tone) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

hahhah, OK, cool, thanks for the info on the mid production variations. Thankfully, the front tower looks to be in fantastic shape, though it has kind of a foggy finish?

I don't think I need it to be 100% correct especially since it is well worn, and I think you are exactly right, as the car was used, replacement parts were whatever was around and fit.

I'm in the process of cleaning up some really funky dirt and grime, so once I get something presentable, I'll snap some pics. I think if I could get a decent rear tower and battery stay, I'd be 100% ahead of the game....Let me get it to a decent state, and I may send you a PM about those parts....

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Reg has a good point about the broken parts being replaced with what ever was on the shelf, but my thinking is that it may have been a Team Car that was slowly being upgraded to a Worlds Car by a person on a budget! The reason I think this is more likely is that the rear bulkhead is one of the least often broken parts, and the extra effort to dye an original rear tower and put it on a Worlds Car screams person on a budget. Hard to say though!

Restore it, I say! :wink:

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yeah, that is what has me puzzled by this car. There are a bunch of parts where I think 'yeah, this was a worlds car, no one would swap these parts out on purpose', then I see other parts and think 'they just threw all this stuff together'. I know it wasn't taken apart recently, evidenced by the dirt patina....I do know the previous owner does have a bunch of rc10 stuff for sale, so it's also entirely possible that they had lots of rc10's, and built up the 'best' of what they had into a racer.

I'll try and snap some pics tonight so you guys can see what i am seeing.....oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the car DID come with a sweet set of lunsford punisher titanium turnbuckles and HD ball cups....

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

here are some mostly cleaned up parts pics:
Attachments
IMG_3424_800x600.JPG
IMG_3423_800x600.JPG
IMG_3422_800x600.JPG
IMG_3421_800x600.JPG
IMG_3420_800x600.JPG

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Oh, the nose plate was chopped up pretty bad, I couldn't let that alone in my shop, so the first thing I did was hit the belt sander and clean up the 'lightening' job because it was making me cringe.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Looks like a Team car turned Worlds car from the parts- the steel front axles and steering blocks, the early nose, and bulkhead call out the team car.

But, the chassis itself is used but not bad- the bellcranks look like Houge pieces which is a nice bonus- The CVD's look like the 1st gen and the shock bodies don't look bad either- so I think you either have the makings of one seriously cool racer, or with more effort a nice restored worlds car with a pedigree :wink:

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

what are the differences to look for in the worlds steering and a houge setup? These parts look identical to the manual parts as far as I can see.

Yeah, I think I am going to clean everything up, re-dye the parts that have some fading or variation issues, fix any 'modified' parts, and put her back together with some new hardware.

After cleaning it all up, the only parts really bugging me are the nose plate wear, and the hacked motor plate. I guess I'll be on the lookout for some nicer versions now......

the car came with yellow one piece front wheels, and some 2.2 rear wheels that don't look like associated. They are 2.2" and kinda translucent, you can kinda see the reinforcing ribs with a little light behind them, but they are molded for the 1/4" axle. got any ideas who might have made them?

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Duratrax I think in the rear wheels, I have some as well- as for the Steering bellcranks the AE was a copy of the CC/Houge anyway

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Cool, thanks Reg,

I'll throw some pics up when I can....

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

what's the go with the discolouration on the shock's, from the collar left in place over time? pretty sure i have a world's rear tower that i don't need too.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yeah, it's from the collars' dye. I still have to give them a good cleaning, so they might get lighter, but if not, they will be reinstalled in the same place... :P

I think I am good on the shock tower....probably going to be looking for a decent(not NIP, but lightly used) regular black noseplate that I can trim to worlds style, if anyone happens to have one...

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

The dye job on the nylon parts isn't actually that bad. It just wears off as it doesn't penetrate the entire part. If you scratch it, it will turn white again. Fiberglass doesn't take dye very well though which is why the shock towers look like they do. You could clean up the chassis and redye the nylon parts and have a pretty nice looking car.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yep, they are not too bad, just worn from slapping the ground in the front and back. Those parts will be re-dyed black and used to replace parts I scavenge from some other cars I have.

My plan is to convert it to about 90% real black worlds car. I will have everything I need from a couple parts i picked up, plus parts I have on a couple of DS cars, ie, bulkhead, black rear arm mounts, front spindle parts, possibly B2 collars/parts. I could make it even more accurate possibly down the road, since the only parts I won't have will be the 'real' noseplate and the 3 peice front wheels. If I find those for a decent price, I'll update those parts too.....(not likely)

yeah, not sure what's going on with that rear tower. those will usually take dye very nicely, I have a few in stock that are blue or black and didn't take much to dye.