Nvxwax's B&R Sprint Car (Project) (05/14/12) Got Paint

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

nvxwax
Approved Member

Nvxwax's B&R Sprint Car (Project) (05/14/12) Got Paint

Post by nvxwax »

Ok well its not in my hands yet but i have a few questions, Its a B&R Sprint car chassis set i got from ebay a few minutes ago. I dont think it was to bad of a price but im not really sure.

Anybody have one built i can take a look at?
I'm guessing this chassis used the original 6 gear trans?
Did this car use the short arm front end?
How do the rear arms mount to the chassis?

scr8p
Administrator

Re: RC10 B&R Sprint Car

Post by scr8p »

i don't believe i've seen one on here, but that doesn't mean no one has one.

the package on the bottom left will probably tell/show you how the arms are mounted. the front end would be a standard buggy front end, using the long or short arms.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Easy to tell where Dennis Klien got his chassus design from :roll:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

So who all made Sprint car conversions? Is this the same company that made the motors? Nice score by the way. :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

I only know of two, Ascot and BBT (Big Boy Toys), im sure their is more... Who is Dennis Klien?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

he's the reason why dynotech makes "klein" replacement arms. :wink:

he made wire cage sprinters in the mid 2000's, out of business the last few years.
car-901.jpg
car-901.jpg (13.38 KiB) Viewed 2660 times
car-901.jpg
car-901.jpg (13.38 KiB) Viewed 2660 times

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

lol, you would think "klein" would have been fresh in my head lol. So it looks like the klein cars might have been copied from the B&R conversion, what little info i could find is that B&R made the conversions back around 1989.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I just went and looked and you stole that for what you paid! :)

I've only owned one wire framed sprint car before and It had an odd way of mounting the top of the rear shocks that I didn't care for. There were blocks that slid up and down on the wire portions that made up the back. They didn't stay in place, that section couldn't be painted, and the only way to remove them if need be was to cut them out.

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

Thanks Lowgear, Well i see some weird looking block things on the very back vertical tubes, It might be the same setup lol, Good thing this will be serving shelf duty.

I hope it has some diagrams lol, i cant seem to find any info or pictures to get an idea how it will go together. I pictures i do find are way to small to make out.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Do'h I should look closer myself! Thats exactly what I'm talking about. I guess mine was a B&R as well. I was told at one point but it was so long ago and I didn't have it for very long. Out of all the conceivable ways to mount the shocks, why they chose that way is a little odd since theres a number of drawbacks to it. Otherwise they are things of beauty, and seeing how I never built mine up it will be awesome to see how yours turns out.

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

Ok the chassis arrived today, Pretty neat kit, A little unorthodox mounting system for the front and rear suspension (seems like it would be week). Its painted silver but im debating on how to proceed (see below)

You can see the adapter plates next to the chassis, It looks like the trans will be mid motor with the plexiglass plate included, The instructions ask to install the plexiglass plate so i know its original. If i flip the plate to put the bulkhead screws toward the front it moves everything to far forward and the link mounts do not lineup with anything.

Ok i want some opinions.... Should i....

Source all white parts, and keep the chassis with a paint like it probably ran back in the day.

or

Use the black donor car below and have the chassis powder coated and make a new plate to fit the stealth. This option would be a lot cheaper. It would be an old/new kinda sprint car lol

Last question, can anyone tell me what wheels and tires are on the car in the last picture? and maybe were to find some lol, I apologize in advance for swiping the pic from someone on rc10talk lol.

Possible Donor Car (Not the towers)

What wheels and tires? any ideas were to find some?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

if you flip it around to a rear motor setup, the motor probably won't fit between the rear bumper. not to mention, you'd have to hack the tail piece up even if it did. and if you try to put a stealth in it, you won't be able to attach the plate to the chassis without drilling new holes in that too. then there will only be 2 small 4-40 screws holding the entire rear clip in the chassis.

white or black - 95% of dirt oval guys dyed their stuff black. it was a rarity to see white parts on one back in the day. everywhere i raced anyway...

the wheels/tires on hoopty's sprinter - mrp grand prix tires, advance rims.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Nice chassis nvx!
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

scr8p wrote:if you flip it around to a rear motor setup, the motor probably won't fit between the rear bumper. not to mention, you'd have to hack the tail piece up even if it did. and if you try to put a stealth in it, you won't be able to attach the plate to the chassis without drilling new holes in that too. then there will only be 2 small 4-40 screws holding the entire rear clip in the chassis.

white or black - 95% of dirt oval guys dyed their stuff black. it was a rarity to see white parts on one back in the day. everywhere i raced anyway...

the wheels/tires on hoopty's sprinter - mrp grand prix tires, advance rims.
Thanks Scr8p, I never thought about the two small stealth holes missing from the metal plate (Id rather not cut on the chassis), Ill stick with a 6 gear, Ill use some of the parts from the donor car, and keep all the parts black.

I did a little mockup and i will also need a early front shock tower, the new 6 hole style is to narrow to clear the tubing at the top, it also has a diagram of the old style tower in the manual.
mrlexan wrote:Nice chassis nvx!
Thanks

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

The wheels in that pic are Advance Mini-mags, and the tires are ( kinda ) as well, as I remember they are repackaged MRP something tires, and impossible to find-