My project . . . (look inside the box!)

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Woulves Baine
Approved Member

My project . . . (look inside the box!)

Post by Woulves Baine »

Well,

My forum pals on oople said I should post here. Long story short, my mother brought shipped out an RC10 box to me that was in the garage. She opened it and described that there was an intact car there.

Take a look for yourself!

I have begun to clean it up. Most critically I am missing the center pulley assembly and the carbon fiber brace (spine). Can I use another Yokomo center diff-pulley assembly?
Attachments
And . . . surprise . . . inside the box.
And . . . surprise . . . inside the box.
Here is the box!
Here is the box!

crusaderlyf
Approved Member

Re: My project . . . (look inside the box!)

Post by crusaderlyf »

you can use standard center drive or yokomo T.C.S slipper unit

minimini
Approved Member
Location: KWS@Hong Kong; 3.5 hours' trip to meet tiger1 and only 7,777 miles from Doug

Post by minimini »

my 0.02 .........for a shelf queen.....using the standard fixed centre drive/ centre one-way seems more period-correct ........:)

of course for a true racer.....TCS should be far better.....:)
mini@vintage Team Yokomo/Associated

Woulves Baine
Approved Member

Post by Woulves Baine »

Thanks for the input!

I think I have assembled all the parts for the center shaft assembly except the drive pulley. Anyone have one they are willing to part with? Or can someone suggest a compatible part? Then all I need is a spine - or I guess I can go with a top brace.

I'll post some updated pics soon. I cleaned it up. Bought an aluminum (purple) mid motor mount. So this will have some bling to it. Want to make it able to run - but not a serious runner. A bit of an updated take on a classic if you will (mostly because this will be easier to assemble then sticking to a pure classic approach).

crusaderlyf
Approved Member

Post by crusaderlyf »

Woulves Baine wrote:Thanks for the input!

I think I have assembled all the parts for the center shaft assembly except the drive pulley. Anyone have one they are willing to part with? Or can someone suggest a compatible part? Then all I need is a spine - or I guess I can go with a top brace.

I'll post some updated pics soon. I cleaned it up. Bought an aluminum (purple) mid motor mount. So this will have some bling to it. Want to make it able to run - but not a serious runner. A bit of an updated take on a classic if you will (mostly because this will be easier to assemble then sticking to a pure classic approach).
just need one front belt pulley?

Woulves Baine
Approved Member

Post by Woulves Baine »

crusaderlyf wrote:
Woulves Baine wrote:Thanks for the input!

just need one front belt pulley?
Yes. Pretty sure - for the center assembly anyway (I still need a rear belt and a center carbon fiber spine/brace).

I bought a purple aluminum motor mount. It fits! I also purchased a cetner shaft package (ZC-644). See http://www.ebay.com/itm/120841972647?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

So all I need is the spur gear assembly and the front pulley. Think I will be getting a spur gear but not 100% sure. So at least I need the front pulley - and hopefully just that. That of course leaves the thrust bearings. Do any standard 4x8mm thrust bearings work? I see bearings with those measurements are still readily available.

It will be pretty amazing if I can get this car back and running. I am pretty sure this car was my younger brother's. He got me into RC cars. Somehow he saw an RC10 (and saved up for it) when he was about 12 and I helped him build it. I think this was his second car which he bought new when he worked at a hobby shop over the summers.

I'll work on getting some more pics up today or tomorrow. Or maybe I'll link some. It seems this forum permits only very small image sizes.

crusaderlyf
Approved Member

Post by crusaderlyf »

flaged 4x8mm for the center drive

Woulves Baine
Approved Member

Post by Woulves Baine »

Thanks. Any suggestion for an alternative to the Yokomo front pulley? There must be something out there that fits . . .

crusaderlyf
Approved Member

Post by crusaderlyf »

center drive maintenance Kit is zc-646,if missing some parts,you still can find on bay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Vintage-Team-Yokomo-YZ10-ZC-646-Maintenance-Kit-Center-Shaft-RC10-Jrx2-/120841970103?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c22be21b7

I have good used condition front pulley,but I living in China,if you can't find it,please shoot me a PM

Woulves Baine
Approved Member

Post by Woulves Baine »

Thank you (xe-xea),

I may have found a suitable replacement. If not, I will PM you. Your offer is greatly appreciated.

Woulves Baine
Approved Member

Post by Woulves Baine »

OK. I'm getting back to this project after a long hiatus and move. I have the center pulley worked out.

What top plates will work with this car? The chassis is missing the spine and I don't think I'll ever find one of those so I thought that a top plate may be easiest.

Also, the car has losi shocks from that era. I need shock ends that will fit. That is the plastic cylindrical part that the shock rides on. Not sure of the exact part name. I guess these would be a losi part. Any suggestions for a new compatible part? I imagine there must be several that fit. I thought about maybe just bringing the shock to a hobby store and seeing what fits.

New pics will come when this guy is complete.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

these shock bushings should fit:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/upper-shock-mount-bushings-slider-hrl-strike-LOSB2008

the upper brace is probably an ebay item, so keep your eyes peeled for them. the jammin jay upper plate is designed to provide some extra front shock tower support, but there are quite a few different versions.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

aluminum L-profiles are easy to find and can be a good and cheap alternative for that carbon center brace.

My local DIY also sells glassfiber reinforced plastic ones: the white parts along the battery sides

Woulves Baine
Approved Member

Post by Woulves Baine »

Thanks, guys.

Where can I find an aluminum L-profile? It would be cool to get a purple or silver one. I'm running a purple center pulley housing. I'll have a new pic up later this evening.

I'm probably spending too much money and time on this one, but it's become a bit of a challenge that I feel compelled to complete.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

where you at in this world Wolvesbaine?

around me I can pick aluminum angle up at any kind of building center or hardware store like Menards/HomeDepot/Lowes, Farm&Fleet, Ace hardware, etc. Also, lots of places online...

Not nearly as cheap as the aluminum but there are places that sell angles in carbon fiber also.

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!