Need some opinions Please

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

romulus22

Need some opinions Please

Post by romulus22 »

I outsource my paint work because there is no way I could come close to doing a good job.
long story short this has been months in the process. Mostly sitting on the backburner I'm sure. But I got a photo of the first body of the two he is doing for me at the moment. Is this close enough for paying $90 for or should I have him redo it.

The box

the painted body (I asked him to do the main paint and the logo the same color as the box as the ones on the sticker sheet are not the same, He painted everything you see)

The parts Im not happy with are the logos are a different color. The side under the RC10GT is cut off and doesnt follow the rocker like the box art. And the logo itself, the cloud GT is too far to the right and not like the box. basically he said he can try and redo it or replace the body and do it over but I dont want to be that guy. I don't I know. How would you guys handle it I dont deal with People too well

romulus22

Re: Need some opinions Please

Post by romulus22 »

Just noticed the red and yellow on the sides are reversed too.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

is that all paint or did you apply some decals?

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

That is all paint. I think he did a great job for what he did but to me it doesn't look like the box.

He is the same person that painted my RC10T. He has awesome skills at painting.

Winger
Approved Member

Post by Winger »

Awesome paint job, but if you asked for original. Some things can be overlooked, but too many inconsistencies from the box to leave it...especially since you sounded adamant about original. I like original as much as you! With his skill I would certainly give him a second chance.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

personal opinion is that is worth $90 for someone wanting that. But, as already been stated there are inconsistancies that make it hard to swallow that price since you were lookin for original. I would personally ask for a discount on this one instead. Get another one to him and ask him to learn from his mistakes. The one that jumped out at me was the inverted order of colors on the side from yellow to red. That was enough for me not to notice the rocker color variation :oops: . All in all though I think he did a great job on it and with a walk thru and help from you think he could nail it on the next one.

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

I don't see any "mistakes". I see a lack of communication. Anyone with those painting skills would nail the box art if they understood that it was the scope of work. Somehow your direction to him to copy the box exactly was not heard IMO.

Unless he will keep that one for himself and sell it as part of his inventory, I would pay him the $90, but ask him if he could do another with colors and lines as "close to the box as he could possibly get". Try to negotiate a discounted price for the next one. He might go for it, understanding your disappointment with the first. (Put the price and "box art copy" on a work order, in writing).

If you put that one up on ebay, pointing out the painted-in detail and logos, you'd get a healthy chunk of change back I think.
- Brian -

My Gallery

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

The other question is, do you have another Gas Truck #1 for him to paint, those aren't easy to locate-

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

like it's been said, without knowing exactally what you provided him it looks like it might be part communication. If you can work out a discount on round two the guy obviously has the skills to do it.

Aside from the inconsistencies that have been pointed out allready, some of the black shadowing that's on that one isn't on the box art truck either.

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

The communication should have been there. But between the last time we spoke over the phone and this morning. When I got those pictures. It has been a long time. He has pictures of the box paintjob to go off of. I sent all my decals for two trucks to work with the side door logos. Trust me the communication should have been there.
As for having another body to work with that's a no. I'll have to see what he can do with that body I guess.

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

If you can find another GT body, then I would have him do another one correctly to match the box art. If you can't find another one, then I would keep that one and ask for a hefty discount. After all, a picture is worth a thousand words. So there shouldn't have been that many differences if the painter had the actual photos to go by. The reversed colors on the sides should have never happened.

And something else you should mention is the letters in the TEAM ASSOCIATED logos on the hood and sides are spaced too far apart and are too thin. The AE logos on the hood are too large. And the GT letters on the hood look like Arial font and are totally different than the actual logo.

All in all a nice job, but not what the customer wanted.

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

Ok here's the new deal. After seeing pictures of the GT and getting an email saying he was about to do the T2 I told him just the logo on the side and the main paintwork. Guess what I got this morning. I left him a pretty lengthy email stated how unhappy I am, I guess Ill see where it goes from here.

See if you guys can play spot the differences.

Box

the body he did

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

:roll:

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

So it appears the guy is good at approximating things, but not a good box art replica kind of painter. I'd steer clear from now on unless you just want something sorta-like it.

I'm not really sure what the guy was looking at when he tried to duplicate it....????

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

The guy is obviously a talented painter - even taking into account the glaring errors in both bodies. I think he must have very, very poor listening skills, or...he began painting, realized he screwed up and just tried to make the best of it. The T2 shell is worse because you can't even read the "RC10" against the white. :roll:
Gary