After a 26 year wait...

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Timmy2Tracks
Approved Member

After a 26 year wait...

Post by Timmy2Tracks »

Hey fellers. N00b here at the forum, and am looking forward to joining the community...

So, around 1986 or so, my best friend and I wanted to retire our Monster Beetles and get a higher quality car we could race together. I purchased a Kyosho Ultiima, and he got himself a Gold Tub RC10. They were both great cars, but I always envied that RC10. It was the superior car, and I always lusted after it. When I turned 16 I sold the Ultima and got out of RC.

Fast forward: a few years ago I got back into RC. I got bit by the bug hard. I love anything scale accurate, and the more metal on the chassis, the better. All this time I have been looking on and off for a Gold Tub. I learned my lesson with other vintage RC models that you should not buy beat up junk, and be patient. I knew I was looking for a new, or lightly run model.

I have a Tamiya Super Champ in need of a body, and saw a nice one for sale near me. I went for a look, and purchased it...

He mentioned that he had an old RC10 that he purchased new in 1986, and was considering selling. I kept my game face, and said how a friend had one, and I would love to have one as well. He took downstairs and brought out an original box...

and here is what it contained...

Inside was the original receipt. Looks like he paid $129.99 + $5 to ship it. I paid $140, so he made $5 in 26 years. Not great, but it's something.

And here is the car...

Reviewing a small part of the huge wealth of information on here, I thinks this is a late Edinger? I can only see so much with these amateur eyes. What are your opinions? The car looks like it has had an easy life...

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: After a 26 year wait...

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Great stuff. You have a great collection. :mrgreen: Did you make a youtube video with that white Kyosho Blizzard of yours? Someone posted a killer video on here somewhere that someone made with a white one. Just curious if it was yours. Anyway, welcome to the forum. Your going down the right path! 8)
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Timmy2Tracks
Approved Member

Post by Timmy2Tracks »

I didn't make a video with the white Blizzard. Although, obviously, I love Kyosho Blizzards. I am still in the "mocking up" stage on that one. I just built that chassis (DF-300) and was thinking of doing an old school monster tank truck. I always loved the Midnight Pumpkin body, and it fits the chassis perfectly. I would love to find the time to get it done before the snow falls.

Thanks, I think I am more excited about finding this RC10 than any of my other RC's. I have to take my time and figure out my plan for it...

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Timmy2Tracks wrote:I didn't make a video with the white Blizzard. Although, obviously, I love Kyosho Blizzards. I am still in the "mocking up" stage on that one. I just built that chassis (DF-300) and was thinking of doing an old school monster tank truck. I always loved the Midnight Pumpkin body, and it fits the chassis perfectly. I would love to find the time to get it done before the snow falls.

Thanks, I think I am more excited about finding this RC10 than any of my other RC's. I have to take my time and figure out my plan for it...
Well you have 1 more gold pan than I do! :oops: I need to get that comin'! :oops:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

Great story and an even greater find!

I love seeing the old sales receipts for R/C stuff.

Timmy2Tracks
Approved Member

Post by Timmy2Tracks »

It is cool to see the old sales receipt. Things haven't changed: the price set by the manufacturer is considerably higher than the street price. Also, I don't think tower's receipts have changed at all.

So, what do you guts think? Is this a late Edinger? Mid? Anything look "out of place" that doesn't belong?

How much is it worth?

Haha! Had to say it...

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

What a yummy find! Very cool late Edinger RC10, I love that it even has the Tower invoice! Too bad about the underside of the chassis and the drill marks. Or whatever made them?

The tires look like they don't have any lettering on the sides. Is this true?

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

The old invoice is cool. I like where it says 12,000 items. Probably 5 times that now. I would pay $129 for that.
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

Timmy2Tracks
Approved Member

Post by Timmy2Tracks »

slotcarrod wrote:What a yummy find! Very cool late Edinger RC10, I love that it even has the Tower invoice! Too bad about the underside of the chassis and the drill marks. Or whatever made them?

The tires look like they don't have any lettering on the sides. Is this true?
It is a shame about the underside. I would guess he was using a drill there as well, but cannot figure out why. There is no modifications to the hole that I can see. I guess when you a kid, you can do silly things. Funny the most major damage is not from running the car, but from trying to remove a bolt/nut is a rush...

There is no letting on either front or rear tires. I don't remember finding anything about the 4-rib front tires without lettering. Is this uncommon?

Timmy2Tracks
Approved Member

Post by Timmy2Tracks »

CamplinP wrote:The old invoice is cool. I like where it says 12,000 items. Probably 5 times that now. I would pay $129 for that.
If I could purchase some new-in-box RC-10's like this for $129.99, I would buy as many as I could without selling my house...! Hehe

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

I wonder how it was stored. The parts sure stayed white for being on an assembled car.
Ken

Timmy2Tracks
Approved Member

Post by Timmy2Tracks »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:I wonder how it was stored. The parts sure stayed white for being on an assembled car.
Me be thinking the same thing. It was stored in it's box, so out of the sunlight for all these years. The Super Champ was not stored in a box, and is dirty dirty dirty.

I don't know if Associated designed it this way, but the box is a perfect fit for the completed car,. This leads owners to keep the box, and store thee car inside in said box. Smart. Accident by design? Maybe...

Old Tamiya kits, once assembled, will not fit in their boxes for the most part. Once assembled, box is trashed. Also, car is stuck in the attic or basement naked, exposed to the cruel world...

But I don't think it will need the white parts whitened.

Timmy2Tracks
Approved Member

Post by Timmy2Tracks »

The car has two sets of shock springs. The ones on the car have a gold look to them, and the others are silver. Anyone know the differences?

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Timmy2Tracks wrote:But I don't think it will need the white parts whitened.
I can't answer the spring question, nor have I ever answered any question correctly in the history of this forum, but that brought this to mind...
"You have the whitest white part of the eye that I've ever seen." -Topper Harley

This one has no relevance, but makes me laugh nonetheless.

" These men have taken a supreme vow of celibacy, like their fathers, and their fathers before them..." -Topper Harley
Ken

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Gold is firm and silver is soft
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website