4WD Gold Tub

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Road Burner

4WD Gold Tub

Post by Road Burner »

I had a nutty idea to use a nitro DS gearbox and convert one of my runners to 4WD, very similar to the elusive MIP conversion. I used 834-b C-hubs and Yokomo wheel adapters with Tamiya knuckles, axles and carriers. Everything seems to be working except the gear ratio up front is too low and need to find a smaller sprocket. I hope to use the gold tub scraps for a chain guide, etc. And ideas or comments are more than welcome, I'm kinda stuck at this point. Thanks!
Attachments
rc104.jpg
rc103.jpg
rc103.jpg
get-attachment.aspx.jpg

discgolfer72
Approved Member

Re: 4WD Gold Tub

Post by discgolfer72 »

thats sweet i have been wanting to do the same but i have an old gear box from a hotshot (or somthing like that)
just been trying to figure out how to do it

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

Cool project! I saw this a few days ago on TC. But over there, I mainly just look at pictures. :wink:

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Looks very cool, I have had similar ideas but seeing it mocked up and functional gives me even more ideas :mrgreen:

Is there a reason you used a gt gearbox besides the fact you had it lying around? What did you do to pin the idler to the new shafts?
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Looks pretty good so far. How many teeth are on the sprockets?

Going off the idlers with the chain, you've got 2.6 at the front and 2.25 at the rear so I'm thinking you're going to need 13t front and 15t at the rear sprockets to get the ratios as close as you can. Could also opt for overdrive and go 12t/14t and get yourself down to ~2.23 at the front.

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

should pan out to be a very cool build.

Road Burner

Post by Road Burner »

discgolfer72 wrote:thats sweet i have been wanting to do the same but i have an old gear box from a hotshot (or somthing like that)
just been trying to figure out how to do it
I was thinking Tamiya TA gearboxes with shaft drive too, maybe for a future project. I just chose this because I had the parts and everything else just fell together!

Road Burner

Post by Road Burner »

Phin wrote:Looks pretty good so far. How many teeth are on the sprockets?

Going off the idlers with the chain, you've got 2.6 at the front and 2.25 at the rear so I'm thinking you're going to need 13t front and 15t at the rear sprockets to get the ratios as close as you can. Could also opt for overdrive and go 12t/14t and get yourself down to ~2.23 at the front.

Thanks Phin I've got a 12t up front and a 13t in back. Thanks for the ratios, I tried to find them earlier but failed and continued the build knowing this would have to change. Hopefully they don't cost me too much. I wonder if I can make them myself without nice machines?

Road Burner

Post by Road Burner »

losiXXXman wrote:Cool project! I saw this a few days ago on TC. But over there, I mainly just look at pictures. :wink:
Thanks. I do a lot of the same there too.

Road Burner

Post by Road Burner »

gomachv wrote:Looks very cool, I have had similar ideas but seeing it mocked up and functional gives me even more ideas :mrgreen:

Is there a reason you used a gt gearbox besides the fact you had it lying around? What did you do to pin the idler to the new shafts?
Thank gomachv, I hope you run with them! No other reason for the gearbox. I originally was inspired by an SP-1 gearbox I won from ebay. When I found out it is essentially an SRB gearbox my gears started turning. I was never going to run the DS again and had already dismantled it to convert to electric. The shafts are the other unspoken problem. I used 3/16" aluminum with steel 3mm screws sandwiched between the pins/screw for sprockets inside the tube. I cut recessed in the idler gears for the pins. I am not a machinist so I would eventually need these made - two identical input/output shafts 3/16" drilled for pins, stepped up to 5mm for the Yokomo sprocket and drilled and tapped for the set screw. Right now I have tape filling the small gap between the shaft and sprocket. :lol: All I can say right now is that I'll run it and see how she holds up!

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Sprocket should run you about $6-10USD (+shipping) so long as it's not a hard to find pitch.

If you want to take a random shot you could try this 11t Kyosho Mad Force sprocket up front:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_25_1460_1374/products_id/163323/n/Kyosho-11T-Sprocket

Might not be the same pitch though, and you'd have to use a thin sleeve/tube inside the bore since the sprocket is likely made for a metric shaft and the stealth idler shaft is 3/16". If it works you'd be at a 2.2 ratio up front which is pretty good.

Any plans to lower the kick-up angle?

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

nice work. Would you mind to show some close up photos of the front gearbox and how it is mounted?? Thanks

Road Burner

Post by Road Burner »

Phin wrote:Sprocket should run you about $6-10USD (+shipping) so long as it's not a hard to find pitch.

If you want to take a random shot you could try this 11t Kyosho Mad Force sprocket up front:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_25_1460_1374/products_id/163323/n/Kyosho-11T-Sprocket

Might not be the same pitch though, and you'd have to use a thin sleeve/tube inside the bore since the sprocket is likely made for a metric shaft and the stealth idler shaft is 3/16". If it works you'd be at a 2.2 ratio up front which is pretty good.

Any plans to lower the kick-up angle?
Thank you phin I'll take a look at that but I found a link here for a company that makes these ladder chains and sprockets in many sizes. I have not thought about lowering kickup, do you think I should? If so it's possible by adding spacers to the front support tubes right? Thanks for your input phin!

Road Burner

Post by Road Burner »

tiger1 wrote:nice work. Would you mind to show some close up photos of the front gearbox and how it is mounted?? Thanks
Attachments
Thanks tiger1!   The gearbox is bolted to the shock tower with two screws and the bottom gear case bolt is keyed into where the chassis overlaps.  It feels secure but I can always use a bracket on the chassis center screw to hold down the case where it is keyed.  Sorry for the crappy picures and messy work area.  Yes I actually have a MSC sitting out!
Thanks tiger1! The gearbox is bolted to the shock tower with two screws and the bottom gear case bolt is keyed into where the chassis overlaps. It feels secure but I can always use a bracket on the chassis center screw to hold down the case where it is keyed. Sorry for the crappy picures and messy work area. Yes I actually have a MSC sitting out!
rc107.jpg
rc106.jpg
rc105.jpg

Road Burner

Post by Road Burner »