MIP question for the pros

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

fredswain
Approved Member

MIP question for the pros

Post by fredswain »

I've got an MIP SP-1 gearbox. After some searching through the forum it looks like old Tamiya Sand Scorcher gears are the same. Is this true? Can they be used as replacements? Obviously the SP-1 gears are steel and the Tamiya are not. Next question is I don't have a slipper. Is there a top shaft that can be retrofitted to it from another car so one can be used? I'd really like to have a slipper on it and some spare parts if possible. Mine has a ball diff not a gear diff.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: MIP question for the pros

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Not sure on the scorcher gears (I though the scorcher gears were the same as the 4wd front gearbox, not sure though) MIP made 2 slipper setups, an outer "Tork Control" and an inner one mounted on the idler gear- the internal one can be found, the external ones are quite pricey when they surface-

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

The original MIP transmission used a MIP or Thorp diff for the Scorcher...you can see it in the instruction sheet posted here:

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=28851&start=30#p298533

Also all the SP-1 gears came in several flavors...steel, brass, aluminum, and delrin. ;)

For a slipper you can get an A&L Power Clutch from Daryl Lane, or search for a MIP, TPS, or Bullet Racing slipper. If you want a modern option I easily modded a Duratrax Evader slipper to fit on a SP-1 top shaft but I never tested it. From what I've read the Evader slipper had a tendency to self tighten.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=26414

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I completely forgot about the Power Clutch. The Bullet slipper definitely won't work. I have one on my Power Glide belt drive. It's nothing more than RC10 6 gear diff parts that are allowed to slip. It would need a longer top shaft. It looks like the A&L would bolt right on though. Thanks.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

The slipper from your Bullet trans isn't the one you need for the MIP SP-1. Bullet and Team Pit Stop made separate versions of their slippers for the MIP trans.

The A&L slipper is the same for the Lethal Weapon and the MIP though.

There's likely a few other modern trans parts that should be adaptable as well.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

Sadly the old Bullet pieces are long gone. When I was over at Barry Raborn's house last time we were looking through all of the old Bullet leftovers and there were none left. The A&L is going to be the easiest to find unless I make one.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Maybe I'm mistaken...seems the Bullet Slipper wasn't a separate part for the MIP trans.
brpslipper.jpg

The TPS slipper did have several versions though:
April '91 RCCA wrote:At $34.99 each, they're available for Team Pit Stop (9015-S), Losi (9015), Track Master (9015-B), MIP (9015-M) and Schumacher's Top Cat and Cougar (9015-T).

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

Yup that's the same slipper I have on my belt drive. It's really nothing more than a 6 gear diff repurposed as a slipper. Looking at it again I can see how I can make it work on the MIP. It's already in use on my belt drive car though. I'd rather use a slipper with pads rather than one that uses diff balls.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

fredswain wrote:... I'd rather use a slipper with pads rather than one that uses diff balls.
Could replace the diff balls with Traxxas friction pegs from the T-Maxx 2.5 slipper (TRA4685). Would essentially be the same set up as the TPS slipper.

aip47-2008
Approved Member

Post by aip47-2008 »

fredswain wrote:Yup that's the same slipper I have on my belt drive. It's really nothing more than a 6 gear diff repurposed as a slipper. Looking at it again I can see how I can make it work on the MIP. It's already in use on my belt drive car though. I'd rather use a slipper with pads rather than one that uses diff balls.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Show off. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the pic. Guess there were separate slippers for each car...that top shaft certainly wouldn't work in a JRX2 or Optima Mid.

aip47-2008
Approved Member

Post by aip47-2008 »

That part is in Japan now! I will be using the MIP slipper on my SP-2

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

So you want to hear funny?

I'm looking at those pics and the spring, of all the pieces in the package, sets off a trigger of familiarity because I'm using a spring very similar to it on the modded Duratrax slipper on my MIP trans. Then I remembered the spring came in a lot that had a few 6-gear outer diff plates and a few other slipper parts that I couldn't identify....one of which I recall looking pretty similar to the inner slipper hub in that package.

So went and dug it out to check and surprisingly it turns out I've got most of the parts to a Bullet Slipper Clutch. :lol:

Not for a MIP though as it fits a 3/16" top shaft....which unfortunately I don't have. Will snap pics in the morning for confirmation.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Here's a shot of the inner plate that I think is a Bullet part. Shows the front and back with a 6-gear diff ring fitted.
Attachments
brpslpr.jpg

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

Yup that's it. I need to see if Barry has any top shafts lying around in his parts boxes. I don't remember seeing any but then again I wasn't looking for them.