RC10 Nastruck Oval Project

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Johnboy72
Approved Member

RC10 Nastruck Oval Project

Post by Johnboy72 »

Ok, so figured I'd make an official thread dedicated to getting this thing dialed this season. The goal is to points race at Victory RC in Fulton, NY with a RC10. I haven't been able to do this due to the military and deployments. Pretty much why I sold off all my modern stuff. But the itch needs to be scratched cause it's driving me nuts. So loaded up some of the RC10s and headed down there. I really liked how the late graphite was working so went that route and have been sticking with this girl ever since. The comp chassis has been put back on the shelf.

So here's the specs to the best of my knowledge. Some of the parts were from a lot. I don't get to spend tons on RC so I have to be like MacGyver!!!
RPM 2.65 trans
CVDs (Don't think they are MIP though)
Vintage A&L steering
cut down rear stock towers
Short Associated shocks on all four corners using RC4Less Springs
RPM rear body mount
Tekin Gen II RS Spec ESC
Spectrum Rcvr
JR Mini Servo?

Prior to week 1.

Ok, so during week 1, the car was bouncing like a lowrider all down the track. I was running #2 pistons with 35wt oil. The gearing was way off but it was fast. I changed some springs around and put a red RF, green LF, gray RR and gold LR. Seemed to handle alright but it's slinging in entry....like it will really throw in there and get on the RR. So I'm losing some time there. But it's a blast.
Most laps=60, Leader=68 Finished 4th.

Week 2.
I almost missed the A main in week 1 because my old reliable Mamba decided to act retarded. Tekin gave us a great deal so this went in!
I also have attempted to figure out this gearing and rollout thing. It's still confusing for me. But thanks to my buddy Ross, we made it fast...TOO FAST. Really need to purchase more 64p gears! 58t Pinion with a 88t spur. Tires are like 2.5. After making this change, I was not losing any straight away with even the EDMs. But I'm losing in the turns. Truck was still bouncing like a lowrider so right before the A main, I put in 45wt oil. Seemed to help a lot. Most laps=63 and not sure what the leader got. Finished 3rd.

Well I'm currently sitting second in points and that's primarily due to some no shows during the two weeks. So I think this week, I'll tear down the RC10 and clean it up. I'm also thinking about putting #3 pistons in with the same 45wt. Also, I believe the rear is too stiff so will go down on those springs as well. Still toying with the idea of putting some Havoc towers on this to lay the shocks in more. But I'll see what the spring change and piston changes do first. Going to try to force myself to slowly work on this and not throw radical changes all at once. Any input is welcomed!!

Image On a side note, I did drive my friend's Blue Deuce that is leading the points, this thing is like a carpet car!!! It's butter smooth and doesn't even want to spin out. Just crack the throttle and dang near flat foot it all around the track. The direct drive is nice too. I have my work cut out. Maybe he'll miss a couple of weeks and I'll catch him in points.

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Re: RC10 Nastruck Oval Project

Post by Johnboy72 »

Current configuration.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Johnboy72 wrote:..

So here's the specs to the best of my knowledge. Some of the parts were from a lot. I don't get to spend tons on RC so I have to be like MacGyver!!!
RPM 2.65 trans.
Was the RPM trans from the lot? If so, are you sure that it's the 2.65 trans and not the 1.96 often used for dirt oval?

xxx2fast4u
Approved Member

Post by xxx2fast4u »

Awesome layout! If you showed it to someone new to R/C, it doesn't look too far gone from a new Dirt Oval chassis...

We had a local guy who use to build DO cars (Hugger Chassis), turn a old RC10 into a oval LM. He used different front/rear towers and used adjustable front kickup mounts, besides that it was stock. He KILLED the purpose build DO cars.

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Phin, I pulled the top gear and counted the teeth. If a thread on here was correct, I have the 2.65 ratio. On the calculator I'm down close to what a couple of the gearbox sprinters and edms are. Again, very happy with the speeds...now if I can just carry the speed thru the turns, that would make big gains on running these guys down. That and I need to get better with the throttle. Seems to take me half a race to get it just right. Amazing how you can over rotate in the turns by lifting too much in the turns!!!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

10# Shumacher grey on the right rear (without an EDM shell) will do that to ya!

Remember, right rear is all of your drive off the corner- soften that corner a tad, let it settle on it past the apex and your speed will come. Sprinters don't have this issue, but non-winged cars do

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Really still feels super stiff. I was told to try #8 in the rears in hopes to soften the car up and hopefully take away that bouncing/bucking. Like it seriously looks like I'm out there ripping with a Bolink Digger. :lol:

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Johnboy72 wrote:Phin, I pulled the top gear and counted the teeth. If a thread on here was correct, I have the 2.65 ratio. ...
Okay. Had to ask since with RPM cases, if you didn't buy them NIP, you don't know when they were dyed black. If you counted the top shaft gear you know for sure. ;)

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Have another case but sadly no top shaft to get another up and running.

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Torn down and cleaned up with a few shock packages set up. But missing this week due to weather. Damn ice.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Man, seeing those 2wd gearbox oval set-ups brings back some great memories! 8)
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Yeah, a lot of the guys are running DD in their trucks, edms and sprints. Really have to be on your game. It's so hard not pulling the trigger on picking up a used Havoc but I'm going to stay the course and race this RC10 all season and see the results. I do know since I missed this week, I've dropped to a tie in 4th for points. So I think I'll pull the gearbox on my RPM and work on the shims. When I was cleaning and prepping I didn't shim it right and just threw it together. Really need to stop buying RC10s and purchase some quality stuff for this old girl like all new bearings throughout. lol. But about to pick up a nice A stamp and graphite for a heck of a deal. The graphite even has some nice towers that will make their way onto this car/truck.

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

OK so due to some storms and budget (promoted Oct 1st and still no pay raise) I've missed too much on the season to have a shot. Time to focus on the karts anyways. But I'll continue to update this when I do something. For instance I showed up to a big race put on with little prep. Ran 40wt 3 hole pistons in the shocks and proud to report the bouncing lowrider effect is gone. However it was losing all speed in the middle of the corners. I threw different shocks and Springs at it. Then I remembered the second reason I came, my buddy gave me what I believe is a composition chassis or however you spell that. It has the kick up and offset batteries. So thrashed during the heats to get it together. By the end of the end of the second heart races, I had it close enough to my liking. Qualified in the B Main and while taking it easy, following lap traffic and coasting still managing 64 laps. The TQ was 68 so Iwas extremely happy. Bumped up and finished a disappointing 4th in the A. All in all I'm very happy. I'll straighten out my mess (right now two of my graphite cars were raped so they need to be put back) and get some pics.

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Ok, what chassis is this?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Raborn