Sad... another hobby shop closing.

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

esaresky75
Approved Member

Sad... another hobby shop closing.

Post by esaresky75 »

Burn more coal - UnderGroundMiners.com

GoMachV

Re: Sad... another hobby shop closing.

Post by GoMachV »

Linkie no workie so I copied from the Facebook page...
My friends, sadly the era of Franciscan Hobbies has come to an end.

I have been given the responsibility as bearer of bad news, but I speak for Bill, John, and the entire crew.

The tight profit margins and reduced sales volume caused by the pricing policies of the distributors, suppliers, and the internet have left us with little to no room for the needed profit margin to remain in business in the city of San Francisco.

The blame game is useless because the fact is no one specific thing caused this. It was the preverbal death by a thousand paper cuts. In all honesty, our suppliers became our own worst enemy. While they sold to us, they sold the very same products on their own websites at below our cost. Of course the youth of today, as a whole, has little interest in a model airplane or a steam train, when they can play on a Ipad or a Xbox. This, coupled with the vast amount of cheap phony merchandise available to the masses on the internet, has spelled the demise of an “old school” establishment such as ourselves.

I share these details with you not to blame, but to explain how a 68 year old business can be slowly, but steadily, squeezed out of business. Its sad to say, but is a small consolation that five hobby shops in the bay area closed this year alone. This indicates it wasn’t something we were specifically doing wrong - its the hobby industry as a whole that’s doomed in the traditional sense of a brick and mortar store.

For me, and four generations now, Franciscan wasn’t just a store, it was a clubhouse, a ‘bar without the boos‘, a man cave, an after school hangout, whatever you want to call it. It was a place to share not only your hobby, but where discussions on world events, the city, and life in general could be heard. Not only are you customers, but many of you are our personal friends. We’ve talked to you though personal goods and bads, marriages and divorces, births and deaths. As the only old school hobby shop left in the bay area we were able to hang on and outlast the rest because of our very loyal following.

For me, this is deeply personal. At the age of 6 years old I first came into FHS. Seeing the airplanes on the ceiling ignited my passion for anything that flies. When my parents first let me take the bus by myself, where’s the first place I went on my very first solo bus ride? Franciscan of course! Over the years I bought R/C planes, John showed me how to wire my Lindberg PT-109, and I built countless 1/48 plastic kits. I share this story because it’s the norm, not the exception. Almost every one of our loyal customers have the same fond memories and stories to tell.

The decision to close was the hardest thing we have ever done, but we will remember all of the people and families who kept Franciscan Hobbies alive for nearly 68 years. We hope each and every one you continue to do whichever hobby you are into, not only for the love of your hobby, but out of sheer desire not to let the timeless skills of patience and craftsmanship be lost by today’s youth.

Noah and the entire Franciscan Hobbies crew.

Franciscan Hobbies 1946 - January 31st 2014
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

myfordcnc
Approved Member

Post by myfordcnc »

Truly lamentable. I can not think of a way to keep this from happening. I see it in other industries as well.

Typicray@rainmans
Approved Member

Post by Typicray@rainmans »

:cry: I love hobby shops like that. The place where you can spend all day playing with small cars. I remember back at my old shop when I was a rookie and had no idea what I was doing six local racers took an entire saturday to help me build, set up, and solder up an entire kit. Places like that are getting killed quickly and it is really sad.
Almost all my posts will be edited because I know what I want to write, but my fingers always hit the wrong keys.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

I've been to this hobby shop several times. It had many issus working against it. Parking was horrible asit is located on a busy thoroughfare that also has a light rail line going down it. You would have to circle around the neighborhood for days to find one. They specialized in stuff that rarely sold. I rarely saw people in their extensive train section. Lastly, I never really felt that they wanted to help me when I would ask about old discontinued stock.

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

gomachv wrote:Linkie no workie so I copied from the Facebook page...
That's odd, works on my computer. :?:
shodog wrote:I've been to this hobby shop several times. It had many issus working against it. Parking was horrible asit is located on a busy thoroughfare that also has a light rail line going down it. You would have to circle around the neighborhood for days to find one. They specialized in stuff that rarely sold. I rarely saw people in their extensive train section. Lastly, I never really felt that they wanted to help me when I would ask about old discontinued stock.
There's always two sides and your experience shows the other side. It's still a shame though.
Burn more coal - UnderGroundMiners.com

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I must say that statement was well written. Very sad to see such a long standing shop close down. Being a Bay Area local since born I've been there a few times. I will also say competition for hobby shops in the Bay Area was extreme. You could go on a hobby shop shopping spree and visit 10+ shops within half a day. There was Sheldons, D&J Hobbies, Capitola Hobbies, San Antonio Hobbies, J&M Hobby House, Talbots, Hobbytown USA, RC Tech, Franciscan, Nor-Cal Hobbies and others that I can't think of their names at the moment. Sadly a couple of those have closed down over the years.

As much as RC has been a big part of my life and growing up with it it's sad to see the trend. I wouldn't trade the memories created over the years for anything.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

shodog wrote:I've been to this hobby shop several times. It had many issus working against it. Parking was horrible asit is located on a busy thoroughfare that also has a light rail line going down it. You would have to circle around the neighborhood for days to find one. They specialized in stuff that rarely sold. I rarely saw people in their extensive train section. Lastly, I never really felt that they wanted to help me when I would ask about old discontinued stock.
I am on the verge of tears, I would go and spend thousands there right now just to help them out. I think about that when I shop at my LHS.

To have another hobby shop close.... I know that I want to go and see the material item, touch and feel and all.

Ordering online , OK for us... that is know what is what and all... not even giving the next generation a chance to experience what we had...........

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

RC10th wrote: There was Sheldons, D&J Hobbies, Capitola Hobbies, San Antonio Hobbies, J&M Hobby House, Talbots, Hobbytown USA, RC Tech, Franciscan, Nor-Cal Hobbies and others that I can't think of their names at the moment. Sadly a couple of those have closed down over the years.
D&J and Sheldon's are just a shell or their former self. Sheldon's has been under new ownership in a new location for about 6-7 years now. They used to stock a ton of stuff and were very competitive on pricing but not now. I went in there a few weeks ago and they wanted $450 for their last rere simply because they were sell img for that much on eBay. A couple of years ago I went into grab some vintage stuff HPI stuff for Scr8p. At first they said they didn't have it then I had to point it out to them that they did. It was 12 feet high up on a wall and they had to get a ladder to retrieve it. I know they don't like to access that stock because they also sell it on eBay for market price.

D&J will probably be the next one to close. They have downsized considerably and they are high as hell on their pricing

I still go to J&M Hobby House. I have just about cleaned them out of everything I've wanted but Paul and to some extent Rico are good guys.

Haven't been to Talbots or RCtech in years so I don't know what their status is

San Antonio Hobbies closed several years ago.

NorCal hobbies is Rollin strong. I went there a couple of weekends ago during a race and it was so busy that it made it hard to walk around in there

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

We've probably crossed paths at some time then. I've been going to J&M since before I could see over the counter. We are good friends with Cliff, Pam and Ricco. Also not sure of your background or the RC circles you traveled in but I knew the Camps (NorCal) quite well. Also used to race at Antioch, Hobbytown when at Newark, Cupertino for a short time, and Gilroy back before it folded.

I was gutted when Sheldons closed down, Ultimate Hobbies took over their old stock.

San Antonio was sad when it closed down, I remember reading about it in the paper.

Gilroy closed as a boycott to the owner who bought a Ferrari and told staff to mark everything in the store up $1. They had a great racing scene before that.

I can't remember the name of the shop in Cupertino and although quite a good shop I'd be surprised if they are still in operation.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

RC10th wrote:We've probably crossed paths at some time then. I've been going to J&M since before I could see over the counter. We are good friends with Cliff, Pam and Ricco.
Cliff is the owners name. I have hard time remembering it for some reason. I had a little bit of a falling out with Ricco one time. There for a while I was dropping a lot of money at that place buying up their old stock they had held in the back. They would let me go back there unaccompanied and I could take my time cherry picking out of their boxes. So one day I'm out at the tallying up my purchases with Cliff when Ricco comes out with some half opened package of something, questioning why parts were missing and implying I had something to do with it. I knew I had done nothing wrong but I was a bit peeved at Ricco's assertion. Cliff stepped in and said he was the one who did it. Right then I told the two of them that appreciated that they gave me back stock access, I have dropped a lot of money in the past and that intend to drop more and I would never betray their trust over a few dollars in parts. I think Cliff had a talk with Ricco as he seemed a bit nicer to me the next time I came in

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Luckily they have a strong following to stay in buisness. They are a true mom and pop shop, and surprisingly have done it without any computerized systems. All orders hand written on a pad and ordered over the phone.

I regret not having enough money to buy more old stock, a few years ago they still had a NIB graphite RC10 which I couldn't afford. I asked about it 6 months later and it was gone. They also had probably the biggest selection of LeMans motors that I've ever seen. Not sure what they have left but pretty sure all the good stuff has been scooped up by now.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Yes definitely a true Mom and Pop shop. I love how Pam has her side with the knitting, sewing and needlepoint and he has his side with the R/Cand trains

Their back stock is pretty much done. I cherry picked a lot but there were others going in there buying up stock only to resell it on eBay for profits. While I did the same, a lot of list members here and on tamiyaclub benefited from my forays.

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Well I too live in the bay area, and we have several more closing -R/C Unlimited in campbell closed about a month ago And Nor Cal hobbies is closing this month (their building sold) I will now have to drive an hour plus to race and find relevant parts in an area of nearly 6 million people :roll: . -Jeff

myfordcnc
Approved Member

Post by myfordcnc »

Any you local bay area guys familiar with Hobby Unlimited in San Lorenzo?