Ive been working on a website for my collection...

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoMachV

Ive been working on a website for my collection...

Post by GoMachV »

Ive been working on a website to keep all my stuff in one place. I havent got to the personal collection yet- its coming...but I DO have the first 10 years of RCCA, the Kyosho Reference book, and added today- some SWEET VIDEOS! If I did it correctly you should be able to watch them online OR download them! I have joined all the files together so no more 5 part youtube style videos. They are old VHS copies and are not great, however some do contain Chris Chianelli, and that makes them priceless!

Included videos:
The Winning Egde
Punky Brewster- girls will be boys
Run with the big dogs
RC Off Road
RC Wheels
The RC Companion (warning- Kyosho based! lol)

The biggest issue right now is with RCCA, some issues are download only due to their size. I have done everything I can to reduce file size yet they are a bit too large even though they are the same page count as others half their size. If anyone out there knows Adobe feel free to drop me a line! My goal is to have as much viewable on mobile devices as possible

MUCH more to come! Stay tuned! Feedback is appreciated!

LINK
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Re: Ive been working on a website for my collection...

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

gomachv wrote: The biggest issue right now is with RCCA, some issues are download only due to their size. I have done everything I can to reduce file size yet they are a bit too large even though they are the same page count as others half their size. If anyone out there knows Adobe feel free to drop me a line! My goal is to have as much viewable on mobile devices as possible
Photoshop has a "save for web" feature that can radically shrink down file sizes in some cases (I think it limits the colors used to those that are "web-safe")

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

Cool stuff Jeff. Keep up the good work. Cool to access the RCCA archives from my phone.

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

That looks great and you even gave RC10talk a plug front and center under the references tab! 8)
Jeff

ca-rj
Approved Member

Post by ca-rj »

The RCCA archive is awesome! I can't tell you how many of the articles I remember reading as a kid. A trip down memory lane for sure. Thanks for all the hard work!
RC10 Short Arm | Novak Tempest ESC | Tamiya Torque Tuned 25T | Savox 1258 | Stealth Trans w/ Exotek Slipper Eliminator (geared 24/81)
RC10B3 | HW Just Stock Club Spec | Reedy 13.5 | Savox 1258

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

You did a fantastic job there bud! I learned a few things from those videos too. Great stuff!

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Exporting all images will drastically reduce their file size by stripping all the superfluous data out of the image. The DPI and quality (good/better/best ) that you save images in will also make a difference.

If you are creating PDF files, absolutely do everything you can with the images to reduce size. If you are working with existing PDF files, then you're probably screwed, unless you are willing to crack them and edit them, which will be a whole lot of work.

I use Irfanview and Adobe Fireworks for most image work.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Yeah I am working with existing. I have already ran them thru acrobat and weeded out the junk. I'm at the point where everything I try keeps the files size the same now. :(
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

If you have Acrobat Pro you can down sample the image DPI by itself of a whole multi page PDF which reduces the file size quite a bit. Did you try that?
-Kevin

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

i think i tried, i will have a closer look tonight.

Anyone know for certain is there ever was a January '88? I think that was before they went monthly iirc
Factory Works website

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

Nice! 8)

I wonder if you know or remember Lowclasscc? He had a great site with thousands of things, and then had a bad house fire (real bad luck). I saw that his site lowclasscc.net URL was grabbed by an effin interior design blog :( .

I sure hope he's doing ok. It does not appear that he has been on here since September, but he did a LOT of the same work already. I'd be cool if he came around. He'd have a LOT of web ready stuff to share if he was so inclined.
- Brian -

My Gallery

Minisforever
Approved Member

Post by Minisforever »

1990-1991 mags have brought back so many memories thanks gomachv

szac
Approved Member

Post by szac »

gomachv wrote:Ive been working on a website to keep all my stuff in one place. I havent got to the personal collection yet- its coming...but I DO have the first 10 years of RCCA, the Kyosho Reference book, and added today- some SWEET VIDEOS! If I did it correctly you should be able to watch them online OR download them! I have joined all the files together so no more 5 part youtube style videos. They are old VHS copies and are not great, however some do contain Chris Chianelli, and that makes them priceless!

Included videos:
The Winning Egde
Punky Brewster- girls will be boys
Run with the big dogs
RC Off Road
RC Wheels
The RC Companion (warning- Kyosho based! lol)

The biggest issue right now is with RCCA, some issues are download only due to their size. I have done everything I can to reduce file size yet they are a bit too large even though they are the same page count as others half their size. If anyone out there knows Adobe feel free to drop me a line! My goal is to have as much viewable on mobile devices as possible

MUCH more to come! Stay tuned! Feedback is appreciated!

LINK
Just watched Run with the Big Dogs from your site. Thanks for posting! Amazing how (as they pointed out in the video) race science doesn't change even though car tech does. Still good 20+ years later! Do any of the guys behind this video hang out here?

Also watched the Punky Brewster episode. Awesomely 80's stuff there! Might have to put that Punky paint scheme down...

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

gomachv wrote:i think i tried, i will have a closer look tonight.

Anyone know for certain is there ever was a January '88? I think that was before they went monthly iirc
I saved the entire archive to my computer back when they were all first discovered on Car Actions website, and there appears to be no January of 1988 issue.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Did yours have ads? I would LOVE to find the originals with ads!
Factory Works website