RC10 Electronic Setup Flowchart?

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

g60madman

RC10 Electronic Setup Flowchart?

Post by g60madman »

So I have looked on the forums and I have seen lots of input on setups, keeping it cheap doing lipo, brushless etc. I am wondering if anyone on the forum has created a flowchart or wiki on a list of setups based on how much your willing to spend? Maybe something like this? Mind you this is an example but thought I would through this out since I am getting back on horse with RCing and I too would like to see something like this.

RC10 Worlds Car Electronic Setup

Before we get started these setups are designed to take a user with no electronics to a running car. These setups are designed with battery packs, chargers, esc combos and radio servers based on users feed back at RC10Talk

How much are you willing to spend?
1. $100 - $150 - Go to A
2. $150 - $300 - Go to B
3. $300 - $500 - Go to C
4. Are you kidding me? Money is no object! - Go to the D. The Winners Circle

A. Welcome to the cheap section. While your car will run, lets be honest you will be using cheap electronics that may work well but won't last. If you are just beating around in the backyard your probably OK but if are looking to win the big race you should try and save more and go to B or C. To save money we are selecting an NiMH setup with Tamiya Connectors. You can do Lipo but it will raise the price.

1. Radio - $24.95 - FlySky FS-GT2B 2.4GHz 3-Channel Transmitter. It's has solid reviews on Amazon and works well and does the job. Has dial knobs to adjust the servos and the ability to reverse the servos.

2. Servo - $9.98 Hitec 31311S HS-311 Servo Standard Universal

3. ESC Motor Combo - $49.97 - Hobbypower Racing 60a ESC Brushless Speed Controller 9t 4400kv Motor for 1/10 1/12 Car Truck - With 4-6 cells NiMH/NiCd or 2 cells Lipo: On-Road≥5.5T, Off-Road≥8.5T; With 6-9 cells NiMH/NiCd or 3 cells Lipo: On-Road≥8.5T, Off-Road≥13T; Decent reviews on Amazon, comes with Tamiya Connectors for battery.

4. Battery - $34.95 - Duratrax NiMH Onyx 7.2V 5000mAh Stick Standard Plug

5. Charger - $24.38 - Duratrax Onyx 110 AC/DC Peak Charger NiCD NiMH

TOTAL DAMAGE - $144.23

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Re: RC10 Electronic Setup Flowchart?

Post by yellowdatsun »

The radio is the one place you don't want to skimp. The difference between using a mid range transmitter, and a cheap one, is HUGE. Seriously, HUGE. Big difference. Spend at least $150 on a radio if you plan to stay around for a while.

Castle has really good setup combo's, which makes it easy to ghet into the new brushless game. You can get a 4600kv motor and a good speed control for just over $100. You can also buy the usb adapter, to change the parameters of the esc. This is a good setup that you'd be happy with.

Batteries, just bite it and buy Lipo, it's not as terrifying as you think. But buy anything except Turnigy. I bought one, if failed even before I got to drive the car, and they have virtually no return policy, so I was immediately out $75. Peak makes good batteries, as does GeForce, and so does Lectron Pro. Never had any issues with any batteries from these brands.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

That's a pretty good idea actually. Sounds like an article that would be published in a magazine or a website in itself.

It would be quite the undertaking though trying to sort it all out, almost needs to be a user based data pool. Or some technology to scan internet reviews and sort them all out in one spot.

I like it....
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

g60madman

Post by g60madman »

yellowdatsun,

Yeah again just an idea. I picked some products I have no clue about minus the battery, charger, radio and servo which are working fine in a Grasshopper I bought for my son. And while that radio is cheap in my opinion it works perfectly fine. Of course the last serious radio I used was an Antronics XL2P and a JR Racing XS3 Synth FM Pistol. My hopes are some of the tech savvy members that have been doing this for some time (like yourself) will come in to help if this is even worth doing. Maybe not the be all end all write ups but possibly a good place to start for newbies or people like myself that have been out of RC for many moons. I think it would be helpful to maybe offer 2 different setups in each section based on the amount of money members are willing to spend as some people I am sure just want to bang around in the backyard.

RC10th,

Thanks sir that was my hopes of starting this thread.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

The idea seems good on paper, but with the vast array of brands and parts, and those items changing literally month-to-month, I don't see it being very feasible to make a flowchart. Why Duratrax, for example? There are dozens of other manufacturers, not even including all the clone companies, making the same items. Just looking at similar ESC's, for example in the cheap category, you have EZ-Run, Leopard Toro, Turnigy and several similar clone brands all putting out nearly identical ESC's. The list of motors is even bigger. And 1 year after the flowchart was done, it would be obsolete. :)

I realize the point, of course...how many times does someone--like most of us, I'm sure, who are getting back into the hobby after many years, and are bewildered by all the new technology--make a post about upgrading their vintage RC car and ask what to do? It gets rather old, but every 6 months, people's recommendations will be totally different as far as brands and products go.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

g60madman

Post by g60madman »

Coelacanth,

Yeah I totally get it. It's the same thing with anything these days. Cell phones, computers, or any other electronics out on the market. Just hoping a basic list would be possible but it would need to be kept up for sure.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

g60madman wrote:yellowdatsun,

And while that radio is cheap in my opinion it works perfectly fine. Of course the last serious radio I used was an Antronics XL2P
I thought my "cheap" Futaba 3PRKA was fine too, until I tried an Airtronics MT-4. My god what a difference. The feeling of the controls, and the way it controls the car, are SOOO much better. If you never go to a track, it likely won't ever matter. If you do go to the track, you'll want a batter one. My "last" radio years back was also an Airtronics XL2P, and I loved it. I still have one with my RC10 display. Getting the Airtronics MT-4 felt like "coming home" to an old friend.

It is overwhelming getting into the sport again. I was totally aghast at how much there is now, new manufacturers, ne batteries, new chargers, all of it.....and I knew zero about any of it. But we did like I'm sure everyone else does, buy some stuff, see what works, and what doesn't, buy more (better) stuff, and keep learning. The best way to learn about what's out there is to visit a track on race night. Gives you an idea about what people are using. Not all racers are high dollar guys, some can't afford the good stuff, so it's a good mix. Plus, it could be a fun family night for you.