5 employees you meet at a Hobby Shop

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ManiacsHobby

5 employees you meet at a Hobby Shop

Post by ManiacsHobby »

We all have a local hobby shop that we love (or hate; sorry if that's your situation). Most RC hobby shops also come with a variety of employee types you can count on to help you with all your R/C needs. If you've visited enough RC shops or have been going to one long enough, you'll definitely have to deal with a range of characters, from the very best to the very worst.

1. The Liferwise man

He's been working there since the shop opened 50 years ago. R/C cars have been around for a long time but this guy will let you know that models and train sets have been around for longer. He's a probably a really nice guy overall but swears that "these damn drones are ruining the hobby." He sees anything that came after his era as just a fad, if it doesn't have gas in it or take 100 hours to build, he thinks it's a toy. He truly cares for the hobby, he loves it, and doesn't care for those without the patience to learn about it.

Most common phrase: "Back in my day it didn't have a button to do it for you. You actually had to learn it!"

2. The Cashier Girl

You call in to make sure the store has the part you need, and she accidentally hangs up on you when she puts you on hold. You just drove 45 minutes to find out the shop just sold out of the part you need but when she gives you the bad news it makes everything okay. She's that high school girl that knows more about your hobby than you do.

Most common phrase: "Oh really? Wow, that's cool." *eye roll*

3. The MAN

This is your go-to guy. He is the R/C god among men. Every time you walk in, you pray he's working. If you have a question, he has an answer, suggestion, and cool examples to show you. You don't even want to bother to go to anyone else, he is your savior. He's a really a nice dude, good driver, pilot, and captain. If it has a remote control, he's the best at driving it. You know this guy by the line of people at his counter waiting just to talk to him. He's sponsored by all the brands you love.

Most common phrase: "I mean, you could probably try (insert miracle idea here)."

4. The Newbie

This is probably his first job in a hobby store. Ever, actually. He's into RC but doesn't know too much about it. This could go 1 of 2 ways, he's gone in 3 months or he's still there in 30 years. Either way, if you catch him when he's still fresh, he'll do his best to help you find what you're looking for. He's likely to blow up some LiPo's by accident when he's just trying to help but, he's learning. Give him a shot, will ya'?

Most common phrase: "I'm not sure, let me find out for you."

5. The Know-It All (aka, the A**hole)*

HOW DOES HE STILL HAVE A JOB? You've asked him for help on something 3 times but he hasn't turned around. He's got a habit of telling you that something would never work but his only solution is to buy a whole new setup. The worst thing about this guy is he's usually right (this is why he still has a job...). He's the guy to ask if you need that one obscure upgrade part you've been looking for. Just like a monster you may encounter on a quest, you have to tame him before he gives you what you want.

Most common phrase: "No."

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: 5 employees you meet at a Hobby Shop

Post by Coelacanth »

The only person I've encountered of those 5 examples is a combination of #1 and #5--in the same person. :mrgreen:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

I wish we'd had a #2 "back in the day" so I could hit on her as I was a 15 year old #1 :lol:

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

alien3t
Approved Member

Post by alien3t »

We had a #2 but not high school. She was a very easy going girl with the employees. you all know what i mean. But if you need slow zap and she asked, or a glow plug, she asked. you bought. and you were in to get a battery for your electric car.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

I just did a #2! :lol:

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

slotcarrod wrote:I just did a #2! :lol:
Whoa Rod! Careful there bro.

I can only relate to the ones that have a ton of experience, I have avoided all the others.

There were one or two that were so totally into in the hobby that have helped. Not many hobby shops in this city, but the ones I use are great.

makoman1860
Approved Member

Post by makoman1860 »

You forgot one that I have run into.

#6 The snotty punk (all ages). Usually evolves from a #4 with a bad attitude. Doesnt realize the world existed before (insert year) and believes anything older than that must be a real pile of garbage. Knows very little but is very sure of themselves.
Most Common Phrases: "We never carried that", "Gotta run them Lipos" , "Whats a crystal?" , " K......I.......T???", "They still make them????"

If we stay in this hobby long enough we all become #1's, some of us leaning towards #5's. #4's and #6's come and go, with #6's staying around long enough to cause problems and give the hobby a black eye ( i.e. Drones ). Ive been at this 25 years and still consider myself a #4.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I asked for carburetor studs the other day and the kid looked at me funny and asked what they were :roll:
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I've gone to some parts shops to ask for parts for my Charger (383 Magnum) and have been told, "383? You can't have a 383 in a Dodge!" :shock: They're thinking of the Chev 383 Stroker engine, of course. :roll:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

makoman1860
Approved Member

Post by makoman1860 »

Or a corvair radiator cap..........Seriously they have them listed in their catalogs, but the fun part is watching the little snot try to figure out where it goes.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I was also told the other day that they stopped making valve cover oil breathers :roll:
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

ManiacsHobby wrote:We all have a local hobby shop that we love (or hate; sorry if that's your situation). Most RC hobby shops also come with a variety of employee types you can count on to help you with all your R/C needs. If you've visited enough RC shops or have been going to one long enough, you'll definitely have to deal with a range of characters, from the very best to the very worst.
That's an interesting first post on the forum. Welcome.... I guess? :roll: