RC10DS - Gulf Livery Mustang

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

LoboNYC
Approved Member

RC10DS - Gulf Livery Mustang

Post by LoboNYC »

A while ago i started a project with no goal. It was a DS nitro build using spare parts i had lying around. I used some RC10GT parts like the rear aluminum tranny brace and an aluminum rear bulkhead. GPM blue anodized dogbones and white RPM ball cup ends for the tie rods. A MIP zero maintenance ball bearing steering servo setup was installed. Servo duties are taken care of by a set of waterproof traxxas 2075 servos and power comes from a Traxxas .15 engine. SC10 front axle adapters modified and installed so i can use my choice of 12mm hex wheels.

The project started taking direction when i found a set of beautiful aluminum beadlock Shelby wheels by RC4WD. Unfortunately they have a wide offset so getting the correct body took time. Because of the wheels i chose a Cobra body that was wide enough to cover the wheels and appropriate for the body. However the body was longer than the stock DS wheelbase. To remedy this i swapped out the original DS chassis for a gorgeous blue anodized longer wheelbase RC10GT chassis. The project was almost finished when i realized that the wheel wells were huge and made this project an ugly duckling . I could not in good conscience use the Cobra body so the project was placed on pause....until now :mrgreen:

I had to decide if i wanted to keep the wheels and long wheelbase setup or to revert back to the original DS chassis and narrower offset wheels. The current long wheelbase and wide stance setup did not allow for the typical 200mm body.

During my Ebay Travels i came across a bolink wide body mustang. not your typical 200mm chassis. This one was 225.42mm in the front and 228.6mm in the rear. More than enough to cover my wheels. Not only that, the wheels wells were not defined allowing my to cut them according to the wheelbase i needed, almost 10.75inches.

This is my RC10DS nitro FAT BOTTOM MUSTANG

Fat bottomed Mustang
You make the rockin' world go 'round

Side by Side comparison with Pinky Cuda which is 200mm front/ 210mm rear

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: RC10DS - Fat Bottom Mustang

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Sa-Weet! 8)

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

KidAgain

Post by KidAgain »

Pretty slick bud that things wide looks good, you gonna run bigger wheels tires or thats the final product.
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:28 am Sa-Weet! 8)
Thanks! and more thanks for posting Queen Video! :D

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

KidAgain wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:11 pm Pretty slick bud that things wide looks good, you gonna run bigger wheels tires or thats the final product.
Thanks!!! The wheels are the final product but im thinking of swapping out the X-Pattern race tires for a set of HPI Pirelli rally tires. They are a little taller then the X-Pattern.

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Traxxas servos????!!!!

*whispers* "sinner"

:lol:

Super cool project though. What's under that 'Cuda AAR body?
Hope you're doin' something fun.

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

TRX-1-3 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:13 pm Traxxas servos????!!!!

*whispers* "sinner"

:lol:

Super cool project though. What's under that 'Cuda AAR body?
HAHAAHA Thanks!!! Yes, traxxas servos and engine...its a mix of whatever i had available....GT blue anodized chassis, GT aluminum rear bulkhead and GT tranny brace. RC4WD crawler beadlock wheels to finish the mix.

The Cuda is a nitro DS as well but has a pink DS chassis. Pinky Cuda started as a car for parts purchase that ended up being saved and restored. It too is a "Sinner" as its equipped with a .15 Traxxas engine and traxxas servos. She has come a long way from what she started out as. :D

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

When you started off saying you used parts lying around I had a different expectation than the final product. Very nice!

Probably a dumb question, but what makes it a fat bottom? Is it wider than a stock DS?

- Limestang

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

limestang wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:03 pm When you started off saying you used parts lying around I had a different expectation than the final product. Very nice!

Probably a dumb question, but what makes it a fat bottom? Is it wider than a stock DS?

- Limestang
:lol: I've accrued parts for the GT and DS throughout the years, mostly new old stock. That helps a lot :mrgreen:

Good question.

Stock Nitro DS: Front wheel width is 8 inches (203mm). Rear wheel width is 8 1/8 inches (205mm).

This wide DS : Front wheel width is 8 2/8 inches (209mm). Rear wheel width is 8 3/8 inches (212mm) .

These wheels dont clear the typical 200mm bodies.

This Bolink mustang is wide bodied because its for pan cars. At 225.42mm in the front and 228.6mm in the rear it clears these wheels.

Another cool thing about the body is that the wheel wells were not defined, so i cut them out for a 10.75 inch wheelbase. Stock is 10 inches

now i need a wing :wink:

KidAgain

Post by KidAgain »

Nice clean cuts on the body and wheel arches, whats your method?
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

KidAgain wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:56 am Nice clean cuts on the body and wheel arches, whats your method?
Thanks! I was a bit nervous on cutting my own wheel openings but having a clear body helps :lol:

My method? I got a glass cup from the dish rack and placed it on body, positionng it over the wheel and marking the opening with a sharpie. Then i cut the openings out and smoothed the edges with a sand drum equipped Dremel rotary tool.

Now I just need to cut out some vent openings for engine cooling and paint body.

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Nice builds, normaly i would frown on that traxxas equipment, but pretty cool in there, especially if the engine had the little electric motor to start it with the glow plug wire.....hows it run?
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

coxbros1 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:25 pm Nice builds, normaly i would frown on that traxxas equipment, but pretty cool in there, especially if the engine had the little electric motor to start it with the glow plug wire.....hows it run?
Thanks!!! I know, i know about mixing traxxas and associated is a SIN....but if you can make it look good then why not? :lol: I havent run this one yet...but im curious to see how it handles being that the wheelbase and track width are slightly longer than stock.

if you want to see another DS with traxxas parts check out my Pink Barracuda. The blues and pink go well together. https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=42208

Let me know if you like Pinky :D

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Nice, trick DS - as expected from you :)

Any chance you could still space these wheels out (traxxas makes great, cheap, plastic hex spacers :mrgreen: ) a bit more to better fill the fenders? 8)

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

LoboNYC wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:35 pm
coxbros1 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:25 pm Nice builds, normaly i would frown on that traxxas equipment, but pretty cool in there, especially if the engine had the little electric motor to start it with the glow plug wire.....hows it run?
Thanks!!! I know, i know about mixing traxxas and associated is a SIN....but if you can make it look good then why not? :lol: I havent run this one yet...but im curious to see how it handles being that the wheelbase and track width are slightly longer than stock.

if you want to see another DS with traxxas parts check out my Pink Barracuda. The blues and pink go well together. https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=42208

Let me know if you like Pinky :D
Just checked it out, yes Pinky is very cool!
Tap pic for clarity: Derek