Approved Member

Re: 4wd SRB Trailing arm buggy

Post by AscotConversion »

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

This is all looking rather cool 8)
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

RyanTQ10
Approved Member

Post by RyanTQ10 »

Has the project advanced in the past 2 years?

AscotConversion
Approved Member

A little. I recently have been looking at it again. Front shocks are hard to fit. I was looking at a few things...Scorpion rear shocks, CRP shocks like they used for the front of the frog.

I want to get this going...

AscotConversion
Approved Member

I think if I make longer front towers and a long shock end I can run short golds on the front and still clear the drive axles.

Built the Tamiya SRB diffs and installed them. I'll need to figure steering pretty soon as well.

BTW Corally sedan CVDSfit almost perfectly, not that it's period correct. If I could find a dogbone of the right size, I could cut it and use the original universal ends to make axles. Hmmm

AscotConversion
Approved Member

After like 4 months, I got back to this thing. Front shock fitment was at a stand still, but I decided to use Optima re re shocks. I mocked up a bunch of stuff, but the best way to get the shock in and keep it from hitting everything on the front end was to lop off the SRB mounts and make a fiberglass mount that would lean the shocks in a little. I drilled and tapped the bottom of the uprights for the front end to attach the molunts. This is going to make the car look a little different, but that's cool. I just have to copy the mount for the right side and then get onto the steering. I may actually finish this year..lol. Really, I want to have it ready for this summer. It should be cool out on the dirt :mrgreen:
IMG_20230419_220417186.jpg
IMG_20230419_220348234.jpg
IMG_20230419_220426176.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20230419_220352915.jpg

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Good to see this moving forward :D
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

AscotConversion
Approved Member

After last night I was pretty motivated to get the front end set up. I kinda cribbed off of 1300GT's steering set up, but used some MIP Rc10 steering arms. I wanted to set the servo off to the side so I could move the battery around or use a long pack. I don't know where the weight needs to be. I can also flip the steering arms around and put the servo in the middle if the battery is ok pushed back, though the servo mount holes would need to be drilled. Bump steer is kinda crazy, but I have no idea if it is shimmed right.

Now I can start playing footsie with the rear dogbones so they stay in the car and don't bind up...
IMG_20230420_200901200.jpg
IMG_20230420_200911433.jpg
IMG_20230420_200940956.jpg
IMG_20230420_200918170.jpg

AscotConversion
Approved Member

I got a bunch of driveshaft stuff in the mail. Xtraspeed makes Scorpion universals, among other stuff, so I'm going to start seeing what I can do with the parts. I think the rear shocks need about 4-5mm in limiters to keep the bones from flying out. If I can get it together, I might be able to make a couple test runs and then take it apart for final assembly and paint the body.

I have a Sabulatech Bolink SRB body. It's pretty good, but since the front gearbox is standup, I tried to make a bump out in the body with a heat gun to clear the chain and pulley. It didn't come out great. I was thinking though, the drift car guys have all sorts of crazy bolt on detail parts for bodies, so maybe I can find something to cover the pulley.

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

AscotConversion wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:56 pm I got a bunch of driveshaft stuff in the mail. Xtraspeed makes Scorpion universals, among other stuff, so I'm going to start seeing what I can do with the parts. I think the rear shocks need about 4-5mm in limiters to keep the bones from flying out. If I can get it together, I might be able to make a couple test runs and then take it apart for final assembly and paint the body.

I have a Sabulatech Bolink SRB body. It's pretty good, but since the front gearbox is standup, I tried to make a bump out in the body with a heat gun to clear the chain and pulley. It didn't come out great. I was thinking though, the drift car guys have all sorts of crazy bolt on detail parts for bodies, so maybe I can find something to cover the pulley.
Been there where your at...people don't realize u might have to buy 5 sets of dogbones for just the rear to get it right...very tedious and expensive...but worth it in the end when it all comes together...keep it up!
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

coxbros1 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:09 pm
AscotConversion wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:56 pm I got a bunch of driveshaft stuff in the mail. Xtraspeed makes Scorpion universals, among other stuff, so I'm going to start seeing what I can do with the parts. I think the rear shocks need about 4-5mm in limiters to keep the bones from flying out. If I can get it together, I might be able to make a couple test runs and then take it apart for final assembly and paint the body.

Been there where your at...people don't realize u might have to buy 5 sets of dogbones for just the rear to get it right...very tedious and expensive...but worth it in the end when it all comes together...keep it up!
It's frustrating how few sellers give measurements for dog bones , or they give you one measurement but don't tell you if it's total length or pin centre to pin centre.

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Dadio wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:42 am
coxbros1 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:09 pm

It's frustrating how few sellers give measurements for dog bones , or they give you one measurement but don't tell you if it's total length or pin centre to pin centre.
Exactly!...and if it 1/2 millimeter off sometimes it binds
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

AscotConversion
Approved Member

Well, Scorpion universals are not the best thing for the front....and I cut too much off the outputs on the front diff for the CVDs I had fit up before, so I have to build another diff. Luckily, I had an extra for parts. Also, the Scorpion universals are 6mm out to the hex pin hole, so it messes up using a normal hex. I ordered Kyosho TF-2 universals off ebay, hoping the pin fits the drive cup and the length works. Sedan length drive shafts seem to be pretty good for the front.