RC12L NIB

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Raven519

RC12L NIB

Post by Raven519 »

I just picked up this kit recently, NIB with the factory seal still intact. The questions is, Do I build it or not? Also, does anyone know where I can find an original body, I haven't had luck on my searches and nothing on ebay recently.
Attachments
20210304_162916.jpg
Current Collection:
LXT (my original and 3 for parts)
XXT CR (my original and 1 NIB)
XX-CR
Clodbuster
Super Clodbuster
RC10LSS
RC12L - NIB
Blackfoot
Nissan King Cab
RC10 Worlds Car Re-Re
Bear Hawk - In transit

coxbros1

Re: RC12L NIB

Post by coxbros1 »

your never gonna retire on what it will be worth so I say build it!
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

If it gives you sufficient pleasure to stare at it on a shelf, leave it. :P

The only fun I get from an RC kit is building it, then possibly running it. I'm not into resale value, collecting or hoarding, mind you... :mrgreen:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

As much as I would like to, I cannot improve upon what the two gentlemen before me have said.

so BUILD IT!!! :lol:
Doug

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

What do you mean by "build it?"

If you want something AE 12ish to run around the driveway, there are cheap 12s out there to buy and build and run. I will sell you one if it will keep you from building this one just to run around.

If you want to build a "shelf queen" that is built to new condition and meant to sit on a shelf, then you have a perfect candidate.

I have to be honest, if I found a 12L sealed up NIB, it would stay that way and sit on my shelf and only I would appreciate it for what it is ......................... but I would be the owner so I can make that call. It will probably never be worth much, but again, there are others out there for running. I have picked up three in the past six weeks or so.
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

TGB has the body

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VETTE-GTP-STYLE-BODY-FOR-ASSOCIATED-1-12-SCALE-VINTAGE-RC12L-RC-12-/112182597752

If it were mine, I would do it box art - love that car!!
Attachments
CorvetteGTP.jpg
Doug

Raven519

Post by Raven519 »

morrisey0 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:04 pm What do you mean by "build it?"

If you want something AE 12ish to run around the driveway, there are cheap 12s out there to buy and build and run. I will sell you one if it will keep you from building this one just to run around.

If you want to build a "shelf queen" that is built to new condition and meant to sit on a shelf, then you have a perfect candidate.

I have to be honest, if I found a 12L sealed up NIB, it would stay that way and sit on my shelf and only I would appreciate it for what it is ......................... but I would be the owner so I can make that call. It will probably never be worth much, but again, there are others out there for running. I have picked up three in the past six weeks or so.
I'm honestly torn on building it. Its cool to have a NIB sealed kit (I have a XXT-CR as well NIB), But I'm also tempted to build it and have it as a shelf queen, If I were to run one, id buy a cheap on off ebay to mess around with, this car will never see pavement.
Current Collection:
XX-CR
Clodbuster
Super Clodbuster
RC10LSS
RC12L - NIB
Blackfoot
Nissan King Cab
RC10 Worlds Car Re-Re
Bear Hawk - In transit

Raven519

Post by Raven519 »

XLR8 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:06 pm TGB has the body

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VETTE-GTP-STYLE-BODY-FOR-ASSOCIATED-1-12-SCALE-VINTAGE-RC12L-RC-12-/112182597752

If it were mine, I would do it box art - love that car!!
I can't believe I didn't see that on ebay. I've bought stuff from them before in the past. Thanks for the link! Box Art is what I am thinking for this one.
Current Collection:
XX-CR
Clodbuster
Super Clodbuster
RC10LSS
RC12L - NIB
Blackfoot
Nissan King Cab
RC10 Worlds Car Re-Re
Bear Hawk - In transit

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Raven519 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:38 am

I'm honestly torn on building it. Its cool to have a NIB sealed kit (I have a XXT-CR as well NIB), But I'm also tempted to build it and have it as a shelf queen, If I were to run one, id buy a cheap on off ebay to mess around with, this car will never see pavement.
If the kit was rare and valuable then I would leave it as is.
Of course if you build it, you'll still have the box plus you'll have an awesome car. :D
I wouldn't be shy about running it either. Find a clean parking lot free of rocks, curbs and lamp posts and you'll be fine. It might get a little dusty but that's what compressed air is for. :wink:

It would be awesome if you could document the complete build here.
Doug

Raven519

Post by Raven519 »

XLR8 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:59 pm

Of course if you build it, you'll still have the box plus you'll have an awesome car. :D
I wouldn't be shy about running it either. Find a clean parking lot free of rocks, curbs and lamp posts and you'll be fine. It might get a little dusty but that's what compressed air is for. :wink:

I won't be getting to build it anytime soon, getting ready for a house renovation. But if (more so when) I decide to build it, I will definitely document it on here.
Current Collection:
XX-CR
Clodbuster
Super Clodbuster
RC10LSS
RC12L - NIB
Blackfoot
Nissan King Cab
RC10 Worlds Car Re-Re
Bear Hawk - In transit

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

You don't consider an unopened 12L kit rare :?:

Honestly, how many have you run across lately sealed in box? How many are on ebay now, or at any given time?

They are only new in the sealed box once.
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

morrisey0 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:34 pm

Honestly, how many have you run across lately sealed in box? How many are on ebay now, or at any given time?

I guess I don't, actually.
If you gave your wife a new diamond ring, would you be angry if she removed it from the box and wore it?
I tend to see these things for what they are; just toys. Like most things that are mass-produced, they're really not that valuable in todays world. Buy them, sell them, leave them in the box or take them out and have fun. It's your toy so you decide.
Doug

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

XLR8 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:48 pm
morrisey0 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:34 pm

I guess I don't, actually.
If you gave your wife a new diamond ring, would you be angry if she removed it from the box and wore it?
I tend to see these things for what they are; just toys. Like most things that are mass-produced, they're really not that valuable in todays world. Buy them, sell them, leave them in the box or take them out and have fun. It's your toy so you decide.
I hear ya! And totally respect your view :!:

I think I am just at that age and level of nostalgia, that I just really like the untouched vintage things. Any vintage thing really.

At the same time I type that I am in the process of sticking a Subaru engine in a '67 Beetle, which I know offends VW purists, so I guess I can be on both sides. Some say you don't f with a '67 Type 1 VW ............. I say it is my Beetle and I will do what I want.

For whatever reason, if I had a 12L sealed in the box, it would sit on my shelf. :D

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

The two opposites of this debate never see eye-to-eye. For me, it's the same as seeing some dude trailer in a classic muscle-car to a car show and roll it off the trailer, fire it up to drive 20 feet to the show spot (or push it), let it sit for the duration of the show, then winch it back up onto the trailer and truck it home. I just don't get it and that's not what a car is meant to be; it's supposed to be driven. A toy is meant to be played with, a kit is meant to be built. A sealed, unopened box sitting on a shelf, likely stacked on top of many other unopened boxes, is the realm of the collector and as much as I don't understand how you get pleasure from that, once it's yours, you can do whatever you wish with it. :)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

The difference in your scenario would be as follows. Your car has 3 miles on the odometer and you can buy one that looks just like it for $200 and drive it daily :lol:

I like to keep kits in the boxes but I like to have a built example as well. I see both sides, but once it’s built it’s loses that little bit of “special” to me.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website