Irritating Side Notes

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Halgar
Approved Member

Irritating Side Notes

Post by Halgar »

We've had a couple divergent topics in the Things That Irritate You thread, thought it would be nice to have a place to explore those tangents without derailing an otherwise irritating thread. :lol: :lol:

Last divergence was the topic of YT channels, so I thought I'd ask what things you guys watch when you're not playing with toys or snagging that latest online RC deal.

I've got a fairly diverse viewing list, depending on my mood, but my top 10 YT channels are:

1 - Let's Dig 18 - Excavation contractor
2 - Squatch 253 - Mechanic by trade, restores classic Caterpillar D4 crawlers, Experimental Moline tractors, and classic IH tractors
3 - Vice Grip Garage - specializes in abandon vehicle resurrections and racing ala Ziptie Drags, Drag Week, Freedom Factory
4 - Matt's Off Road Recovery - As the name implies, specializes in off road recovery and has built a small fleet of vehicles to that end.
5 - Deboss Garage - General mechanics, farm equipment, heavy equipment, passenger vehicles. Likes to build unique custom projects.
6 - Cutting Edge Engineering - Machine shop specializing in repairs to mining equipment
7 - Diesel Creek - Not sure what his vocation is, but he collects/fixes/sells heavy equipment, mostly auction finds
8 - Fab Rats - unique vehicle customization fab shop.
9 - Watch Wes Work - Mechanic
10 - Casey LaDelle - Heavy equipment tow operator, off road recovery

I've got a bunch of other automotive related channels, science, documentary to pass the time with as well.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

juicedcoupe

Re: Irritating Side Notes

Post by juicedcoupe »

I listen to a lot of audiobooks. Mostly Japanese and Korean light novel and Manga.

But outside of RC, my other outlet to throw money at is drag racing. I'm primarily an 80/90's 5.0 Mustang street/strip type of guy.

Being that, one of my favorite YouTube channels is "5.0tussin". I've known Rodney for years, well before the channel. Good guy, very resourceful, and always good for a laugh.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

There's only two that I regularly keep up with as I just ain't got the time as they say.

Project Farm (Unbiased product reviews.)
Official Jim Cornette (Wrestling)

Occasionally I'll watch the following:

Gas Monkey Garage (Automotive)
HeavyDSparks (Automotive)
Cleetus McFarland (Automotive)
Adam Savage’s Tested (Building stuff)

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Weekly I'll watch:
1. Neebs Gaming
2. Cold War Motors
3. Puddin's Fab Shop
4. Deboss
5. The Skid Factory
6. Mighty Car Mods

Less frequently (because of their upload schedule):
1. The Post Apocalyptic Inventor
2. Aging Wheels
3. NattoSumo

I stopped watching VGG. Derrick has a fun personality, but his formula of will it runs, and fast expensive engine swaps got dull. Also, I started to get irritated by his unwillingness (or inability) to repair/fab anything structurally on his car. Puddin, Deboss, and TSF have more interesting builds, and Scott's restoration work at CWM is always satisfying. His will it runs are also much more impressive. :P (CWM deserves more subs).

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

I go through phases. I usually only watch YT, or TV in general, in the early evening while making dinner and such, so it is more background entertainment than anything.

Usuals:
Cleetus McFarland
BeardMeatsFood
Stay Tuned / Tony Angelo
Destination Adventure / Dustin Porter
Bright Sun Films
The Proper People
Emma Cruises (this one is weird because I like the idea of cruising, but have zero interest in ever getting packed into a cruise ship)

Recent Phases:
Craziest videos caught on dashcams
Abandoned buildings / urban exploration
Magnet fishing
Most twisted murder cases
Idiots in cars is always a go to
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Phin wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:01 am
I stopped watching VGG. Derrick has a fun personality, but his formula of will it runs, and fast expensive engine swaps got dull. Also, I started to get irritated by his unwillingness (or inability) to repair/fab anything structurally on his car. Puddin, Deboss, and TSF have more interesting builds, and Scott's restoration work at CWM is always satisfying. His will it runs are also much more impressive. :P (CWM deserves more subs).
Aging wheels is another enjoyable channel, the guy is just too quirky and funny not to watch. :lol:

Very few channels that I've found do any real work or fabrication on camera. My suspicion is that they just don't want to deal with the idiots in the comment section. My favorite channels are those with plenty of on camera repair and fab. Years ago I used to watch One Lonely Farmer, as the name would suggest, he's a farmer, lots of big tractors and equipment, always showing in detail fixes, repairs, rebuilds. He really knows what he's doing. The problem was his attitude and his political views, which he was incessant in his sharing. His is not the only channel that I won't watch for these reasons.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Simon Whistler , he has a load of channels ,Brain Blaze , The Casual Criminalist , Mega Projects , Side Projects , Warographics , and a load more , he's prolific recording several per day , I could listen to him all day , He's hard to describe but his style is to cold read scripts on various subjects from his authors an he add his own opinions and often gets side-tracked hilariously or just rants , its just very well done and I'd highly recommend having a listen .
How Ridiculous , a bunch of crazy Australians doing dumb stuff like firing bowling balls out of cannons at numerous sheets of bullet proof glass or releasing thousands of golf balls down a ski jump ramp to see if they can get one in the hole at the bottom , just amuses the kid in me .
The Hydraulic Press Channel , they squash all kinds of stuff with a massive hydraulic press , just fun to watch .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Halgar wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:47 am Aging wheels is another enjoyable channel, the guy is just too quirky and funny not to watch. :lol:
Aging Wheels is fun because Robert isn't a diehard grease monkey. He's a dweeb software programmer, that's enthusiastic about weird/electric cars, and not afraid to learn new skills as he goes.
Very few channels that I've found do any real work or fabrication on camera. My suspicion is that they just don't want to deal with the idiots in the comment section. My favorite channels are those with plenty of on camera repair and fab. Years ago I used to watch One Lonely Farmer, as the name would suggest, he's a farmer, lots of big tractors and equipment, always showing in detail fixes, repairs, rebuilds. He really knows what he's doing. The problem was his attitude and his political views, which he was incessant in his sharing. His is not the only channel that I won't watch for these reasons.
Puddin is good about showing his fab work, but a pet peeve of mine is he has a tendency to respond to one, or two negative comments that he really should ignore. Cold War Motors is heavy with on camera repair, and fab work. It's a very slow paced, no frills channel of an unkempt Canadian dude, with a poodle, and a bunch of drunk & stoned pals hanging out while restoring 40's to 60's era Canadian & French cars, painting boogie vans...and occasionally reviewing decades old cigarettes, and tires.

There's 5 years of Saturday vids of Scott (CWM) hand beating sheet metal, and chrome trim to turn this:

into this:

and while doing so, also painting this: