My 1st 4-10 Legend Build - Need Some Help

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Mwp1111
Approved Member

My 1st 4-10 Legend Build - Need Some Help

Post by Mwp1111 »

After many years, finally was able to start on my 4-10 Legend build. I need some guidance though....

1. I have several MIP SP1 transmissions. I would like to use one for this build. Has anyone successfully utilized a SP1 for a 4-10? It seems I would need to modify the center gear to accept the 4-10 drive shaft....but even then it does not seem like the pin would fit properly. Am I wasting my time? Should I just stick to the Stealth set-up?

2. I am missing the rear idler bearing assy in my kit. However, I was planning on using the bulkhead from the Ten4 setup with their hardware. Anyone have any experience or issues in going this route?

Thanks in advance. I will post some progress pics once I get it going.

bluewormx
Approved Member

Re: My 1st 4-10 Legend Build - Need Some Help

Post by bluewormx »

Hi, sounds like a cool project, I would advise against using the sp-1 rear transmission it wouldn’t really be in the spirit of the 4-10 legend.

As far as the belt guide you can use a 0.71” Shock shaft in one of the stealth transmission bolt holes.
It will screw into the motor plate.
I cant remember the exact stack up I used but there is an Edinger alloy shock spacer then a 1/8" shim 1/8 x 5/32" bearing another 1/8" shim and another 1/8 x 5/32" bearing and a standard 1/8" e-clip to hold it together.
Mine is on a ten-4 not a proper legend. The belt may be too tight, if so you can try the smaller 1/8 x 1/4" bearings instead.

If you have any trouble with the stack up let me know I'll take mine apart if necessary. :D
2EEE53C6-13F1-4265-B3FB-5F65ABC44BAB.jpeg

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

the MIP trans will have a different ratio than the legend front transmission. So you would have to adjust the pulley ratio, if it's possible. it's probably better to use the stealth trans, because you also would need the idler shaft for the MIP trans for the 4wd conversion which is not easily found. the idlers are not the same and the shaft diamters are different, metric vs english.

I think the ten4 bulkhead should be very close to what you need. i don't have experience with it, but the layout should be very close, since the pulley is driven from the idler in both designs.

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

jwscab wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:46 pm the MIP trans will have a different ratio than the legend front transmission. So you would have to adjust the pulley ratio, if it's possible. it's probably better to use the stealth trans, because you also would need the idler shaft for the MIP trans for the 4wd conversion which is not easily found. the idlers are not the same and the shaft diamters are different, metric vs english.

I think the ten4 bulkhead should be very close to what you need. i don't have experience with it, but the layout should be very close, since the pulley is driven from the idler in both designs.
Nice catch I hadn't thought of that. The gear ratio is wrong the sp-1 being 2:1 and the stealth 2.25:1

Mwp1111
Approved Member

Post by Mwp1111 »

Thanks for the quick guidance. Looks like I will just stick with the stealth transmission. I am hoping that Brian has an additional hardware kit from his Ten4 builds he can sell me for the bulkhead...or maybe someone else has an extra one around.

On a side note, I am also looking for a custom painter for the body....any recommendations?

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

Do you have a complete kit then probably cheaper to go with a Stealth tranny and you can probably find one either here or eBay. If you're missing parts then I have no idea how hard this would be but I wish you luck.

This is all very interesting!