new Losi 22s '69 Camaro No Prep RTR drag car

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

XLR8
Approved Member

new Losi 22s '69 Camaro No Prep RTR drag car

Post by XLR8 »

I've always been a big fan of the '69 Camaro so this got my attention. I have the Vaterra '69 Camaro but it's an AWD touring car.

Other than the lack of window trim, I think the body on this car looks great.

I don't drag race so I'm curious what you racers think. Do you believe this could be competitive right out of the box??
Doug

BattleTrak
Approved Member

Re: new Losi 22s '69 Camaro No Prep RTR drag car

Post by BattleTrak »

This thing looks great.
-Brad

mytimac
Business Member

Post by mytimac »

Pretty cool.

As a body maker now it is curious they went with what looks like at least a 3 part body. Grill and rear held on with 4 screws each. Not sure that was a great idea. On the fence with that. Think a one piece body would have been better. Doesn't look like they intend on selling pieces separate so far so any benefit of being able to replace the pieces without a whole new body is out the window. After a few crashes the screw holes will be ovals instead of circles and then there will be a big gap to catch air. Bean counters might have made them go 3 piece.
http://oldrc.com - Find parts for older Losi, Associated, Tamiya and others.
http://vintagelosi.com - Manuals and information on older Team Losi models

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Body should be one piece for sure. They sacrificed performance for scale looks. The issue I saw in their video, is you can see the tires rubbing the front of the rear wheel well. Tires rubbing the body can be a real bad thing at high speeds. The body definitely looks cool though.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

The Vaterra Camaro body is two piece with the back panel/underpan being a separate part. The Kyosho Chevelle is the same. If they make these bodies that roll under in the front and back one piece, wouldn't that require a more complex form that slips together so the body can release? I have a few Tamiya bodies that are one piece and you can see a mold line running across the front fenders and hood and another one over the rear quarter panel and trunklid area. These mold lines are angled along the sides which suggests that the form can slip together making it small enough for the body to release.

Basher67, I think the tires might be rubbing on the area that rolls under in the rear. This is the same for Vaterra. I really don't see a need for this underpan as it will trap air and function as a parachute. Anyway, if it rubs in front or back, a little careful trimming should take care of the rub and might even improve top end performance.

What do you drag racers think about the motor and ESC specs? Is this a race-winning setup or would you toss the electronics for something else?
Doug

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Well, Happy Birthday! I say go for it! :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:51 pm Well, Happy Birthday! I say go for it! :mrgreen:
Well, thank you! You're too kind. :lol:

I think Losi makes this as a roller (minus body and electrics) but if the supplied motor and ESC are good, then maybe get the rtr?
Doug

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

XLR8 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:33 pm
THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:51 pm Well, Happy Birthday! I say go for it! :mrgreen:
Well, thank you! You're too kind. :lol:

I think Losi makes this as a roller (minus body and electrics) but if the supplied motor and ESC are good, then maybe get the rtr?
I know that was the same brand ESC that is in that Baja in that video you posted. I am not sure what differences there are in the specs, but that other sure seemed to rip.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Even the cars in promotional photos and video on Horizon's website show evidence of tire rub. :oops: :lol:
Losi Camaro.jpg
Doug

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Every manufacturer is going to push the tolerance limits on these bodies because the width scale is so far off. You are going to flip and screw up the bodies so bad anyways, what is a little paint rubbing in the wheel well?

I stayed away from the RTR DR10 for multiple reasons, and one being the "Dodge" body was just out there too much. Mine is on a '67 Chevelle body that is super close to the rear tires also, and it is limiting me to how low I can run it ................. but again, these body manufacturers are limited due to the craziness of the scale.
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

Performance wise, I have no idea. I just hope that the QC is better than what the LMT has had. :roll: Why can't Losi release a kit version??
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

matt1ptkn wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:46 am Performance wise, I have no idea. I just hope that the QC is better than what the LMT has had. :roll: Why can't Losi release a kit version??
I hear ya! I have a new Losi vehicle and I've had to re-assemble parts of if that weren't assembled correctly. And, the ESC has two broken mounting tabs! What the heck!!
My sympathy goes out to the little Chinese girl who likely put this RC together but someone should have checked it before it went in the box.
Overall, I'm really not a big fan of RTR. Much rather assemble the vehicle myself.
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

morrisey0 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:04 pm Every manufacturer is going to push the tolerance limits on these bodies because the width scale is so far off. You are going to flip and screw up the bodies so bad anyways, what is a little paint rubbing in the wheel well?

I stayed away from the RTR DR10 for multiple reasons, and one being the "Dodge" body was just out there too much. Mine is on a '67 Chevelle body that is super close to the rear tires also, and it is limiting me to how low I can run it ................. but again, these body manufacturers are limited due to the craziness of the scale.
Well, at least Losi/Horizon make no attempt to hide the tire rub issue.

There's the aesthetic side but there's the performance side as well; tire rubs will affect speed.

One could apply some aluminum tape to underside of body to address the aesthetic but perhaps the only solution to the performance side is to raise the body - which will also hurt performance. I guess it's a no-win.
Maybe someone could produce belted tires that don't grow as much? Pft, that'l never happen.

For me, watching this beautiful $100 body sliding down the tarmac on its roof would be excruciatingly painful.
Camaro body.JPG
Doug

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Believe me, when this guy hits the curb upside down for the first time, I may cry a little. But that is just the game I guess. :wink:
dr10 body 1.jpg
Sorry you have not gotten good feedback on your original question. I know nothing about Spektrum products outside of Rx/Tx. The motor Kv is about twice that of what AE decided to go with, so with a 100a ESC, I think it is better out of the box setup than the DR10 RTR, but at about $80 increase in price.
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

morrisey0 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:09 pm Believe me, when this guy hits the curb upside down for the first time, I may cry a little. But that is just the game I guess. :wink:

dr10 body 1.jpg

Sorry you have not gotten good feedback on your original question. I know nothing about Spektrum products outside of Rx/Tx. The motor Kv is about twice that of what AE decided to go with, so with a 100a ESC, I think it is better out of the box setup than the DR10 RTR, but at about $80 increase in price.
Wow, the Chevelle looks great! I agree that it would be (or will be :( ) awful to get it upside down at some point but at least that body is reasonably priced. A hundred bucks or more for a 1/10 scale lexan car body is not reasonable IMHO.

Yeah, I also know nothing about Spektrum. I really should read the no-prep rules as there probably are limits on motor specs.
These guys hit 60mph on 3s during a speed run. Very impressive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2GV2M2BFRM&t=4s
Doug