Old Pistol grip radio question

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: Old Pistol grip radio question

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I do remember that radio now that I see it. Maybe that's what I'm thinking of. My poor ol' brain sometimes remembers things that didn't happen and forgets things that did... :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

You youngsters sure remember a lot of things. Heck, I can't remember what I did two weeks ago. :roll:
Doug

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I can remember 1990 like it was yesterday. I can’t remember the actual yesterday for crap. Crazy how the mind works... or doesn’t :lol:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

GoMachV wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:57 pm Crazy to think things are actually quite a bit cheaper these days if you consider inflation. Heck a $99 graphite chassis back then would be like $220! That $69 radio is $138 today! From 1990 money, you literally double it to get to today’s money. :shock:
Similar, I paid £400 for PCs circa 1980 and can get one same price or cheaper today with much better spec....RC was beyond most kids and parents pockets but almost disposable like nappies/diapers now if you discount the premium for vintage stuff. An RC receiver costs the same as a beer or coffee....crazy

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Yup, I just ordered 2 more receivers and they were only $10.99 each. :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

GoMachV wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:06 pm
THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:56 pm Yeah, I was thinking they made one that was kind of a copy of the first Magnum Jr. It didn't have the guard connecting the base to the top of the radio, but I can't find a pic so maybe it was just that one.
I can’t think of anything that looked like the first futaba except the Hitec Challenger and it’s different than your description although the first futaba magnum didn’t have a guard either
I have one of those in the shed somewhere..... such a nice shade of brown.....
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Incredible_Serious wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:19 pm such a nice shade of brown.....
Now that you mention that, does anyone know of anyone ever making a radio of a different color? i remember when I bought my first M8 you could buy wraps or skins, or whatever they were called, but I don't remember anyone making a dramatically different colored radio. I don't know that I would be interested in one, but still curious.
Ken

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Early on brown and tan, even white were popular for stick radios. Getting into pistol grips things were almost always black. JR Alpina was grayish and looked nice. There were others that were gray but it’s so close to black- I don’t think it fits what you were asking.
131A764D-F2A8-481F-8AE9-E42696535F37.jpeg
I can’t think of anything that was a real “oddball”’color, besides of course all the bright trim parts most manufacturers made to put on their mostly black radios.

Stepping to a little more modern times, oxidean marine was showing off an interesting radio- the video showed it in white but this gold has a interesting look as well
176F0323-46B7-4BAD-9AE5-7C88006629A2.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

GoMachV wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:59 pm Early on brown and tan, even white were popular for stick radios.
Funny you mention that. My first radio was a white Futaba stick.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

They were white way earlier than that futaba but I did just pick one up not long ago and it’s a treasured part of my collection. The white didn’t stay white for long, and luckily mine appears untouched (pic is not of mine but same radio)
Attachments
B4880C10-60FA-4AFC-9AFF-530362364781.jpeg
Factory Works website

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Mine was like that, except 75mhz. It was lost during Hurricane Katrina. I still have the receiver and one of the servos.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

GoMachV wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:05 pm They were white way earlier than that futaba but I did just pick one up not long ago and it’s a treasured part of my collection. The white didn’t stay white for long, and luckily mine appears untouched (pic is not of mine but same radio)
Jeff, it hasn't happened yet but one of these days I'm gonna know something about RC that you don't. I swear it's gonna happen. :wink:

... or maybe not. :oops:

... probably not. :lol:
Doug

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:52 pm i think I had one in my Thundershot if I remember correctly. it was my first brand new R/C I ever bought. I couldn't afford bearings for it though, so it never really became much of a car for me as far as my racing career went...
My first Thundertshot. Bought it today. Who could imagine this deal 33 years later. It was released in 1988... I think.

Your post was the first one to come up in a search on the forum. Thought I would show mine off and bring back memories for you.
Thundershot NIB.jpg

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

Completely forgot to mention the original radio that came with it, the wheel seems tight though. It turns left and right just fine, just slow to center.

Band 4 crystal installed and the factory test sticker is still on the top.