So, what did you do RC today?

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

1911Colt
Approved Member

Re: So, what did you do RC today?

Post by 1911Colt »

morrisey0 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:25 pm A little more work on the oval car today.
Is this a shelfer, or are you going to race it? I recently started oval racing. I am going to try using a FWD touring car just to see if I can make it work, but looking at this and the Viper, I think I made a mistake. :lol: That thing would fly around our track! I should have gotten a vintage pan car :(

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

I didn't get to race, but I ran a few practice sessions with my Storm 2000 oval car/truck thingy. I had only run it once before. It was supremely underpowered with a HW 17.5 blinky setup, so it handled like a dream. :lol: It just couldn't go fast enough to reveal any handling problems. :lol:

Swapping the 17.5 for a 13.5 solved the power issue, and created handling problems. :lol: I messed around with toe, camber, and ride height enough to get it working at the higher speeds. My lap times ranged from 6.5-7 before. It was consistently under 6 after, and clocked a 5.4 on one exceptional lap.

I don't yet know much about this truck, what adjustments I can make, etc. For some reason, I have it in my head that I should make it work as well as I can before touching the shocks. It still has 4 "long" shocks with soft springs light oil, exactly the opposite of what it needs on a carpet oval. :roll:
Attachments
20230226_110357.jpg

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

BattleTrak wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:44 am I installed a new, rear 7-hole bulkhead and a nice used Litespeed Litesink motor plate on my custom black & green Losi JrxPro build.. it really completes the look I have been going for! This also has a Thorp filled gearbox and Losi Slipper.

Before..

After..

That's an awesome looking Litesink! The black and green is an excellent scheme. Maybe a purple and green body to go with it?
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Today I finally updated the old website. It works now 😄

https://www.factoryworks.com
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

GoMachV wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:43 pm Today I finally updated the old website. It works now 😄
Looks fantastic Jeff!! Hope some of my "reviewing" (IE whining about small details) helped out!! :D
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Of course! The hard part is implementing changes since GoDaddy has everything really locked down. It's like if Apple made a website design tool :lol:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

1911Colt wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:14 am Is this a shelfer, or are you going to race it?
The current plan is oval fun runner. :) I don't think I have any local oval courses, but I would love to just run on some open dirt around here and see how it does. It is meant to be kinda 50/50 new/old, so it won't be any competitor, but it would be nice to just run and improve it without losing the point of its origin. See if it has a class and run the best I can within it.

I did get a little more work done on it today. The batt tray is kinda trick, and I think it will work out well. The tray has grooves on the bottom that drop nicely into a couple of the batt cutouts in the chassis to hold the whole thing on the X and Y, and then there are a couple of more slits in it to strap it down to the chassis with good ol' filament tape, just like the Associated manual would have instructed. :D Then a couple of ol' school RC10 batt straps to keep the battery in its holder.

Also got into the rear body mount, which will screw down completely on to the trans. I was a little off on my dimensions (not shocking at all!!) on the front mounts, so they are not pictured, but hopefully the next one will work out. Edit: Revised front mounts worked out just fine.
oval car 8.jpg
oval car 9.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

morrisey0 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:58 pm
GoMachV wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:43 pm Today I finally updated the old website. It works now 😄
Looks fantastic Jeff!! Hope some of my "reviewing" (IE whining about small details) helped out!! :D
Small details can make a big difference (thumbs up)
-Jerry-

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

R6cowboy wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:33 pm Small details can make a big difference (thumbs up)
Especially if someone took your thumbs....
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

morrisey0 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:11 pm
The current plan is oval fun runner. :) I don't think I have any local oval courses, but I would love to just run on some open dirt around here and see how it does. It is meant to be kinda 50/50 new/old, so it won't be any competitor, but it would be nice to just run and improve it without losing the point of its origin. See if it has a class and run the best I can within it.
I love it! I really wish I had thought to do something similar.

I have 3 oval tracks within an hour. There are really no classes for me to race in either, so I am staying in Novice until they boot me out. :lol: It is the only "run what ya brung" class. So far I have "won" (it is Novice, so not really winning anything) with a Top Cat, a Cougar Mk1, a KF2, and a Storm 2000. I am trying to run all of my vintage stuff while I can. The XLS is next up if they allow 4WD. :twisted:

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

I spent a little more time on the Storm getting it ready for the next race. I also cleaned and prepped the truck tires for when I retire it from racing and make it a back yard runner. I have a truck body for it too, but I am not that fond of it. It is from the new-ish Storm ST. It is pretty hideous in box art, so I am trying to think of a paint scheme that will hide or transcend the basic shape. Original bodies are available in the UK, but shipping is more than the body.

Enough of that, though! What I did RC that is worthy of a mention is running my box art Bosscat. :D I don't run it much, but it is such a treat when I do.
Attachments
20221028_105030.jpg

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

https://www.factoryworks.com
Looks fantastic, love seeing pics. Works great !!
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

I spent last evening scraping and replacing the decals on my sprint car. Everything is vinyl that I cut out on my wife's Cricut machine. The "Cali Dirt Videos" decal on the wing is from an awesome Youtube site (shameless plug!)....I sent a pic of the previous version to the guy, and he sent those to me. That's it as far as anything RC related I've done, lately. I'm kind of between ideas.
sprint new1.jpg
Attachments
sprint new2.jpg
The older I get, the faster I was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGKBTUJ-L0

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

morrisey0 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:11 pm

Could you explain what you did to the gearbox/rear suspension setup? I'm curious...It almost looks like something I did with my sprint car.
The older I get, the faster I was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGKBTUJ-L0

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Russ Winn wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:26 pm Could you explain what you did to the gearbox/rear suspension setup? I'm curious...It almost looks like something I did with my sprint car.
I can try, but probably not very well. :D It is quite a hodge podge, and hard to describe.

The gearbox is DR/RB-10, flipped around, and mounted to a printed adapter / bulkhead that ends up fastening to the original six 8-32 chassis holes. The susp arms are stock RC-10, but the arm mounts are stock style and printed to be wider. The arm mounts have been widened so I can run stock DR/RB-10 65mm CVAs. The outer hubs are DR/RB-10 narrowed down a bit to fit the RC-10 arms. Turnbuckle ballcups are DR/RB-10, but the turnbuckles themselves are some cheap Amazon guys (the shortest I could find and will probably be shortened). The shock tower is a lowered oval version from factoryworks.com The shocks are stock DR-10M, which is a car I didn't even know existed until I found those shocks.

So far, everything on the chassis is AE, aftermarket made for AE (factoryworks, Andy's, etc), or printed at home. :mrgreen:

BTW, your Sprint car looks great, and I am glad to see someone else getting into using a Cricut for RC. I have done LOADS of vinyl cutouts and sticker paper prints / cuts with my Cricut, and have had a blast with it! My FXMT was done with all vinyl cutouts:
FXMT 6.jpg
And all of the decals (outside of the small sponsor stickers) on my Round Tracker were printed and cut at home:
BRT COMPLETE 1.jpg