Forum News & Discussion

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Retro rc
Approved Member

Re: Forum News & Discussion

Post by Retro rc »

Yup had that today aswell, closed the open tab on my phone and got in straight away

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I turned off the setting that automatically disables the board under max load so that message should no longer be appearing. It'll help somewhat but when the server gets too overloaded, the site will just completely fail to load as a result.

The latest response from support thinks it may have to do with bad bot traffic attacking the server like I did. They suggested implementing the services of Cloudflare. It's currently 6:30am here and I'm off to bed but when I wake up I'll attempt to switch things over to it. With that being the case, I'll likely have to disable the board for periods of time.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Alright, the site is now running through Cloudflare which so far seems to have made a vast improvement. I'm hoping it has fixed the problem. As mentioned in my previous post, we've tried Cloudflare in the past and I really liked it but it caused all of the attachments to stop working. This time it doesn't seem to have. Since it's been years since we last tried it out, I was hoping they improved compatibility with forum software, and it appears they have.

Edit: Immediately after posting this the server crashed with a 503 service unavailable error which is a new one. :| Lets give it some time to see if things improve or not.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Lowgear wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:18 am Alright, the site is now running through Cloudflare which so far seems to have made a vast improvement. I'm hoping it has fixed the problem. As mentioned in my previous post, we've tried Cloudflare in the past and I really liked it but it caused all of the attachments to stop working. This time it doesn't seem to have. Since it's been years since we last tried it out, I was hoping they improved compatibility with forum software, and it appears they have.

Edit: Immediately after posting this the server crashed with a 503 service unavailable error which is a new one. :| Lets give it some time to see if things improve or not.
D.jpg
D.jpg (16.84 KiB) Viewed 447 times
D.jpg
D.jpg (16.84 KiB) Viewed 447 times
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I believe (hope) that I've finally figured out the problem that's been plaguing us. We're being attacked by Singapore! :evil: They've sent over half a million requests to the server in 24 hours. :shock: There's also unusual traffic coming from China as well. As a result, all traffic from Singapore is now completely blocked, and China's is filtered.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

If you can conquer RC10TALK, then the rest of the world is a small step from there. But they didn't realize RC10TALK has Lowgear!
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

Duuuuuuude !! Seriously !?!?!
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Frankentruck wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:42 pm If you can conquer RC10TALK, then the rest of the world is a small step from there. But they didn't realize RC10TALK has Lowgear!
Ha! Image

MarkyDents wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:23 pm Duuuuuuude !! Seriously !?!?!
Yeah, believe it or not. That was way down on my list of what it could possibly be. :shock: :? We use Google Analytics to track traffic, and it didn't show anything out of the ordinary. Our hosting provider didn't pick up on it either. It wasn't until I set up Cloudflare, and started analyzing the traffic resources it provides that I saw it.

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

Lowgear wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:30 pm They've sent over half a million requests to the server in 24 hours. :shock:

Singaporean vs. Lowgear...

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Lowgear wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:30 pm I believe (hope) that I've finally figured out the problem that's been plaguing us. We're being attacked by Singapore! :evil: They've sent over half a million requests to the server in 24 hours. :shock: There's also unusual traffic coming from China as well. As a result, all traffic from Singapore is now completely blocked, and China's is filtered.
My best guess is folks in Asia noticing the reproduction parts selling scraping the forum for how to make the next profitable reproduction.

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

Board has pretty snappy response today, thank you very much
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

JosephS wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:51 pm My best guess is folks in Asia noticing the reproduction parts selling scraping the forum for how to make the next profitable reproduction.
That is quite possibly the scenario. I found that in 2020 I bookmarked a website with a third-party modification called the 'Singapore Slinger' that blocks their traffic. This leads me to believe I was concerned about it back then. So I guess it's not a new development, and they could have been doing it for a few years now to a lesser extent until recently. At least now I have better tools at my disposal to pick up on such abnormalities.

MarkyDents wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:29 pm Board has pretty snappy response today, thank you very much
You're welcome. :) With some aspects of the site now being handled by Cloudflare which acts as a content delivery network, there's a performance boost.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

MarkyDents wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:29 pm Board has pretty snappy response today, thank you very much
I noticed this as well. Nice work Lowgear.
-Jerry-

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Google is forcing any site that uses Adsense to display a GDPR pop-up notice to those located in the EU and UK. If you don't comply, your sites ads won't be shown in those locations thus losing the revenue. The deadline isn't until January 16th 2024 to do so but they've already resorted to bugging the crap out of you to comply. I just did it so this is a heads-up that some of you will be presented with that message when you visit here.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Instead of having the RC10 re-release forum buried in the RC10 Buggy one, I decided to place it by itself for easier accessibility.

I'm contemplating making sub-forums for Tamiya and Kyosho's re-releases as well but not sure if it's worth it though.