Again another Marui project : Super Wheelie and Big Bear!

The place for all things Marui.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

silvertriple
Approved Member

Re: Again another Marui project : Super Wheelie and Big Bear!

Post by silvertriple »

I added a few other prints, almost ever accessory is there to complete the bodyshelll. The driver figure is still missing, though...

This body will be assembled and will be sitting on my stand next to the two other bodies during the vintage of this season...
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

discgolfer72
Approved Member

Post by discgolfer72 »

i just scanned through the thread . i still have my driver (sans his arms) if you need any pics /measurements . this was my first hobby rc purchased back in the 80s lol
Attachments
IMG_20240326_101247827_HDR.jpg

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

discgolfer72 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:18 pm i just scanned through the thread . i still have my driver (sans his arms) if you need any pics /measurements . this was my first hobby rc purchased back in the 80s lol
Well I have a few original driver with a few of my original cars. Not all of them have it. I will need to do something about this, but driver figure is another learning curve by itself:-)

discgolfer72
Approved Member

Post by discgolfer72 »

silvertriple wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:12 am
discgolfer72 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:18 pm i just scanned through the thread . i still have my driver (sans his arms) if you need any pics /measurements . this was my first hobby rc purchased back in the 80s lol
Well I have a few original driver with a few of my original cars. Not all of them have it. I will need to do something about this, but driver figure is another learning curve by itself:-)
cool .just making sure . i had the one arm i had eft 3d scanned ,but could never adjust it (mirror) so that it would work on the opposite side . it would be fun to scratch build one again but fully 3d printed (i think i still have a spare populated gearbox somewhere )

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

discgolfer72 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:55 pm
silvertriple wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:12 am
cool .just making sure . i had the one arm i had eft 3d scanned ,but could never adjust it (mirror) so that it would work on the opposite side . it would be fun to scratch build one again but fully 3d printed (i think i still have a spare populated gearbox somewhere )
At the very exception of the driver figure (i've not found the time yet to take care of that work, which requires me to learn new tooling to deal with it), all the files are available on my Cults3D page for both the bodyshell (files for the splitted version will be added soon), the chassis, the modified gearset and the rims and tires...
For your missing arms, I saw someone who took a tamiya driver figures and adated the arm to replace a missing one. That could be a good approach to complete your driver figure...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

I just updated the publication for the Super Wheelie body with the splitted body and pictures of the FDM and resin prints. Hope to see some builds different than mine at some point...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

I have a few Super Wheelies to rebuild, and some of them have broken roll cage. I ordered 3 complete set of accesories to complete the superwheelie bodies.

The target is to rebuild :
- One Black CJ-7 for my daughter
- One White Land Cruiser
- One Blue Land Cruiser
- One White CJ-7

And once this will be done, I will have to review the set of parts I have (to be clear, I lost the count of the incomplete cars I accumulated during this project).

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

As I received a piece of history today...

I had to take another picture, because I can take that picture, as this page of this specific catalog is the inspiration of a massive project... A picture, that I'm literally the only one who can take it at this stage...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

I have quite a few Super Wheelies and Big Bear here awaiting for some restoration.

However, my first priority is to get a white Toyota and a white CJ-7 ready as soon as possible to be able to make the single picture with all the Marui cars, including the Mitsubishi Jeep... The black CJ-7 and blue Land Cruiser on the shelf will stay the way they are (at least for now, because they deserve a proper work to get nicer), but at least the CJ-7 will end under another chassis...

Some of the bodies went for some work by a friend, and I got them back earlier this week. It's time to work out the cosmetics... I started yesterday with the White Toyota...

This morning I worked out a black CJ-7 (Barbamama scheme is targeted, after the Barbapapa's Lunchbox), for my daughter), and this afternoon the white CJ-7. Pure White for the Toyota, Pearl White for the CJ-7, and Metallic Black for the second CJ-7..

I'm also tempted to start out the Resin printed Mitsubishi, in a lighter color than the first one (I'm not too sure, which is one of the reasons I've not started yet, the second is my son took the work area to paint a drifter body as he seems very motivated today :-) )...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Today, after a morning running RCs with my son at the club, the afternoon was with my daughter, and her Lunchbox...

That's basically from the Lunchbox that the idea came from for the Super Wheelie "Barbamama"...
After the afternoon at the club, my daughter asked again for the Super Wheelie, and I had to do some progress on this one...

A bit of Pink fluo vinyl, the bodyshell and some time and here is the result...
One key element on the bonnet

And I added other elements on the side...

I've specially ordered a small barbamama figurine for this, and I will have to find a way to hook her to the seat. Hopefully, I get the figurine soon, but I can already figure out what it is going to look like, and it will be fun!

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Very cool , I haven't thought about Barbapapa or Barbamama in decades :D
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:31 pm Very cool , I haven't thought about Barbapapa or Barbamama in decades :D
I thought it was definitely suitable for some vintage RC, just like the Mistery machine is also very suitable for a Lunchbox :-) (be carefull, next image may reignite some chidhood memories)...

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Awesome Lunchbox group photo!
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

One of the Big Bear bodies I have had an awfully thick paint on top of it. It seemed thick and quite solid... I put it for 48 hours in the magic sauce bath (aka Glanzer, see my Ninja and Shogun thread)... After about 6 hours, bubbles started to appear, so there was a good chance the paint can be removed...

48 hours after the beginning of the bath, I removed the bodyshell from the bath. There is still some studborn areas...

I used a flat screwdriver, used as a rasor to remove the elements from the big surface, trying to avoid marking the body as mush as possible...
Then I used a hook end to remove the remaining paint from the lines...

Next will be fine sanding, and that should give me a nice and clean surface to apply primer so we can get a nice box art Big Bear...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Took benefit of a improvement of the weather (which is not expected to be more than temporary) to apply blue ( Tamiya TS-51 Racing Blue) on the SLA resin Mitsubishi body

The blue is nice, I have another can, i'm question myself about using this one on the Big Bear or putting a clearer one ( TS-19 Metallic Blue)... I want both of this bodies to be painted before playing with clear coat on all bodies that requires it (most likely the white pearl and the black metallic will require it, but I was not sure for the blue ones)...