Are we ready to add an RC10T ReRe section?

Everything pertaining to the RC10 truck re-release.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TRX-1-3

Re: Are we ready to add an RC10T ReRe section?

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Brendan2904 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:42 pm Can someone explain the "outlawed" front wheels story?
It was the only stadium truck that had narrow front tires/wheels when it debuted at the (I think) Florida Winter Champs back in 1991. It did well, placing 1st and 2nd. There was some controversy due to the "skinny fronts" possibly giving an advantage to the 10T. Full on competitive stadium trucks were a pretty new class at the time. There were no rules that expressly said that tires had to be the same width, front and rear. So AE just figured they'd do something different. Basically people assumed the tires should be dimensionally the same all around. The narrow fronts weren't cheating, but it was interpreted as such by some of the other drivers/teams. So then the rules were amended to "outlaw" narrow fronts from that point forward.

Edit:
"Outlawed" for use in ROAR sanctioned events. Came in the earlier kits as an option to be used where allowed depending on local track rules, etc.

From AUG '91 RCCA, pg 54
Screenshot_20240526_140335_Drive.jpg

Edit edit:
I'd like to know the story behind one of Mr. Lett's sponsors at the race: Gene's Burlesque Theater :lol:
Gotta be an inside joke with the guys at AE and Mr. Gene Hustings at the time.
Hope you're doin' something fun.

Brendan2904
Approved Member

Post by Brendan2904 »

TRX-1-3 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:05 pm
Brendan2904 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:42 pm Can someone explain the "outlawed" front wheels story?
It was the only stadium truck that had narrow front tires/wheels when it debuted at the (I think) Florida winter nationals back in 199?. It did well, placing 1st and 2nd. There was some controversy due to the "skinny fronts" possibly giving an advantage to the 10T. Full on competitive stadium trucks were a pretty new class at the time. There were no rules that expressly said that tires had to be the same width, front and rear. So AE just figured they'd do something different. Basically people assumed the tires should be dimensionally the same all around. The narrow fronts weren't cheating, but it was interpreted as such by some of the other drivers/teams. So then the rules were amended to "outlaw" narrow fronts from that point forward.
Thank you very much for explaining. My Google searches were terrible with results lol.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

It was the only stadium truck that had narrow front tires/wheels when it debuted at the (I think) Florida winter nationals back in 199?. It did well, placing 1st and 2nd. There was some controversy due to the "skinny fronts" possibly giving an advantage to the 10T. Full on competitive stadium trucks were a pretty new class at the time. There were no rules that expressly said that tires had to be the same width, front and rear. So AE just figured they'd do something different. Basically people assumed the tires should be dimensionally the same all around. The narrow fronts weren't cheating, but it was interpreted as such by some of the other drivers/teams. So then the rules were amended to "outlaw" narrow fronts from that point forward.
Thanks for the history lesson, I was curious about that myself.
Since the box art and manual cover art show the truck with wide tires and the kit included both narrow and wide (to comply with amended rules), I'm guessing the trucks at the Fla Winter Nats were pre-production trucks?
Doug

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

XLR8 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:00 am
Thanks for the history lesson, I was curious about that myself.
Since the box art and manual cover art show the truck with wide tires and the kit included both narrow and wide (to comply with amended rules), I'm guessing the trucks at the Fla Winter Nats were pre-production trucks?
Seems so according to what I've read, the RC10T wasn't available at hobby shops until after that race. Pretty sure that was one of AE's final track test before going ahead with the kit release.
Hope you're doin' something fun.

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

IMG_3818.jpeg
IMG_3819.jpeg
IMG_3820.jpeg
IMG_3821.jpeg
Enjoy the read, click on pics for clarity :D
Edit: sorry TRX-1-3 it took me so long to find and upload this article you answered it very well in the meanwhile.
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

Brendan2904
Approved Member

Post by Brendan2904 »

I was looking for a Vintage Rc10t before this was announced and I am still looking but is it even worth it now?

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Brendan2904 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:11 pm I was looking for a Vintage Rc10t before this was announced and I am still looking but is it even worth it now?
Yes, originals will always be "better" than their re-re counterparts.
-Jerry-

Brendan2904
Approved Member

Post by Brendan2904 »

R6cowboy wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:16 pm
Brendan2904 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:11 pm I was looking for a Vintage Rc10t before this was announced and I am still looking but is it even worth it now?
But with the hype of the ReRe the original ones have over inflated prices. Maybe now is not a good time to pick one up.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

You can get a whole lot of used truck for $400. It depends on how perfect you want. The extra ground clearance saves the chassis from a lot of scratches. You can get a full car and an andys painted body for the cost the rc10t kit alone. Looking for a pristine condition car the new kit is the best deal.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Brendan2904 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:19 pm
But with the hype of the ReRe the original ones have over inflated prices. Maybe now is not a good time to pick one up.
There are still a bunch of vintage trucks selling between 100-200 on ebay. Still less than the price of FanRC parts. I think overall the re-re is going to bring prices down from the covid peak.

Brendan2904
Approved Member

Post by Brendan2904 »

JosephS wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:32 pm
Brendan2904 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:19 pm
There are still a bunch of vintage trucks selling between 100-200 on ebay. Still less than the price of FanRC parts. I think overall the re-re is going to bring prices down from the covid peak.
I'm looking at one from Hawaii right now with a cracked rear carrier hub. I am just worried about the shipping. My packages look like they went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson when they are shipped from New Jersey, imagine what they will look like going across an ocean and a country?

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Personally, I'm glad that I have the opportunity to purchase a new 10T at a reasonable, non-scalper price. In my hording pile, I have a restoration candidate 10T that's been waiting it's turn. The box looks like it was used for BB gun practice. Having a new truck that doesn't need special attention will be nice (with skinny front wheels!), as will the opportunity to get a non-scalper priced black pan for my restoration truck (assuming AE sells them like they do for the CC).
1000011233.jpg
1000011230.jpg
1000011231.jpg
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Frankentruck wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 4:20 pm Personally, I'm glad that I have the opportunity to purchase a new 10T at a reasonable, non-scalper price. In my hording pile, I have a restoration candidate 10T that's been waiting it's turn. The box looks like it was used for BB gun practice. Having a new truck that doesn't need special attention will be nice (with skinny front wheels!), as will the opportunity to get a non-scalper priced black pan for my restoration truck (assuming AE sells them like they do for the CC).
1000011233.jpg
1000011230.jpg
1000011231.jpg
Man, I could not agree with you more.
I hope AE will offer all the black anno parts but I'd settle for the tub alone.
I'm really jealous of your 10T resto candidate. If you don't find time to jump into that, just send it my way and I'll clean it up and give it a good home. :wink:
Doug

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

I have to be honest, I thought today was going to be "the" day for the RC10T release. Through chat a week ago, RCplanet was supposed to get their inventory and have them for sale today. I was given an inactive link that was going to go active as soon as they had them. They don't even have them listed on their site at this point. Through their chat tonight, they know nothing about nothing.

I have my name on a list at the local HTUSA, and thought / hoped I would get a call today. Which is super annoying because now I am answering all my calls, which are 80% crap! I usually only answer calls from my contacts. :wink: Now I gotta keep on taking junk calls until it is them.
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

morrisey0 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:45 pm I have to be honest, I thought today was going to be "the" day for the RC10T release. Through chat a week ago, RCplanet was supposed to get their inventory and have them for sale today. I was given an inactive link that was going to go active as soon as they had them. They don't even have them listed on their site at this point. Through their chat tonight, they know nothing about nothing.

I have my name on a list at the local HTUSA, and thought / hoped I would get a call today. Which is super annoying because now I am answering all my calls, which are 80% crap! I usually only answer calls from my contacts. :wink: Now I gotta keep on taking junk calls until it is them.
I chatted with someone at RCplanet a few days ago and they couldn't confirm if they were going to stock the 10T ... or not. I asked if they could send me a notification and they said without a sku, they couldn't send a notice. So basically, it was a totally unproductive 5 minute chat session. :?
Doug