odd sports

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: odd sports

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Lawn Darts are banned in the U.S. now, but they are a lot of fun. A friend of mine still has a set at his river camp that we play with when we go down there. I can certainly see why they were banned. Interesting read if you have a minute.
http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/133320
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

85Edinger wrote:It's not really a sport, but there's an activity that some people enjoy.
You fill a cylindrical container that has a hole on the bottom with some kind of viscous fluid and see how high you can get it, then you try to make some come out, all while keeping air from entering.
It's surprisingly popular!
LOL, it took me a minute to picture what you were talking about, then it hit me and i laughed.

good one.

any of you old timers remember skittles?

any irish in here? i really want to know about that throwing rocks down the road game.

what about the aussies? i'm sure there is some bizzare aborigine game none of us have ever seen.

i know we've got one or two swedes and atleast 1 finn in here, any wacky snow/ice games?

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

mayan basketball court:

no ball though, they used the skulls of their enemies. thats serious!

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yeah, we play washers a bunch in this area. My friend's wife is canadian and he picked up the game while visiting her family; he has a yearly washers tournament. fun game, for sure, and harder than it seems.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

in jersey they call it warshers.

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

Lawn darts are illegal? That's a problem. I play lawn darts every time I try to make a tabletop!
Has anyone mentioned cheese rolling?
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

no, but i gotta know, what is cheese rolling?

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

85Edinger wrote:Lawn darts are illegal? That's a problem. I play lawn darts every time I try to make a tabletop!
Ya gotta stay on the throttle! :lol:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

that's alot of folks gathered to roll some cheese!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

kaiser wrote:that's alot of folks gathered to roll some cheese!
Good thing they weren't all there for a contest of cutting the cheese. :shock:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Racing radio control cars. :mrgreen:
Ken

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:Lawn Darts are banned in the U.S. now, but they are a lot of fun. A friend of mine still has a set at his river camp that we play with when we go down there. I can certainly see why they were banned. Interesting read if you have a minute.
http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/133320
LAWN DARTS RULE..lots of crapy copies made lucky for me we always had the good lawn darts, id play with my dad in the back yard back in the day.. when i was little we would get a bunch of kids together to play a game. get 1 lawn dart and pick 1 kid to throw the lawn dart up in the air then run. when the lawn dart hit the ground everyone had to stop. whoever the lawn dart landed closest to they would be the next to throw the lawn dart. noone wanted to be the one who threw the lawn dart cause if it landed in someone the thrower would get the blame. one time it landed right next to a kid, it freaked him out so much we never played that game again

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

Lawn Darts/Jarts were awesome. There use to be a guy from the Chicago area who sold lawn darts/jarts and was called the JartMan. I went looking for his website last year and it was supposedly shutdown by the government.

As for curling, I was never into watching it until I saw the Canadian Women's Olympic Curling Team. They issued a calendar to raise money/awareness. It was no Pirelli calendar but it wasn't bad. :D

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

longboardnj wrote:LAWN DARTS RULE..lots of crapy copies made lucky for me we always had the good lawn darts, id play with my dad in the back yard back in the day.. when i was little we would get a bunch of kids together to play a game. get 1 lawn dart and pick 1 kid to throw the lawn dart up in the air then run. when the lawn dart hit the ground everyone had to stop. whoever the lawn dart landed closest to they would be the next to throw the lawn dart. noone wanted to be the one who threw the lawn dart cause if it landed in someone the thrower would get the blame. one time it landed right next to a kid, it freaked him out so much we never played that game again
Sounds like something we would have played as kids! :shock: :lol: Nowadays we like to put them about 120 feet apart and play "Long Distance Lawn Darts". They must weigh about 20oz and really fly! 8)

EDIT: In general I'm very liberal and against most types of bans, but I agree with banning the sell of Lawn Darts. As the father of a 6 yr old girl I would be horrified if she and her friends were playing with a set. There are plenty of other dangerous games, but these things are irresistible when it comes to whipping them around and they fly like nobody's business. FUN, but dangerous in the wrong hands. I have the urge to play them right now though! :mrgreen:
Ken