odd sports

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

kaiser
Approved Member

odd sports

Post by kaiser »

i another thread swamp buggy racing came up. it's an odd motorsport that most of the world doesn't know exists (heck most of the usa doesn't know about it).

it got me thinking, what other weird/odd/crazy sports are out there?

the canadians "curl"

the irish "hurl"
i do remember hearing about another type of hurling that involved trowing a stone down the road.

the scott's "cable toss"

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: odd sports

Post by Coelacanth »

Speaking about curling, I love it when, during Winter Olympics opening ceremonies & athlete parade and the TV hosts announce the "athletes" as the curling teams pass, you see all these older, predominantly overweight, beer-bellied schlubs walk by. :lol:

I wonder, has there ever been a curling injury other than someone slipping on the ice or getting hit in the foot by a rock?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

it's the same thing with bowling in the states, thats why when people ask if rc racing is a sport i answer yes.

lacross is another odd one here from the states, invented by native americans 100's of years ago.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

kaiser wrote:it's the same thing with bowling in the states, thats why when people ask if rc racing is a sport i answer yes.

lacross is another odd one here from the states, invented by native americans 100's of years ago.
Actually, lacrosse was invented in Canada, and until only recently, was our national sport...I say "recently" because Canada decided to add hockey as a national sport, so now we have two. :? (Lacrosse being our national summer sport, hockey our national winter sport.) We also invented basketball. I guess Canadians like to play games. :lol:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

indians/natives invented both those sports.

now those indian tribes may be from canada...i don't know.

actually i think the myan's or aztechs invented basketball.

but didn't an american preist invent modern basketball?

anyway, where are our friends from across the pond? i'm sure they have some wacky sports/games to share.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Sure, they invented this weird sport where players collapse to the ground and play dead as convincingly as possible at the briefest glancing contact by opposing players, only to spring back to life the moment a zebra (or similarly striped mammal) whinnies or whistles....

Soccer!

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

It's not really a sport, but there's an activity that some people enjoy.
You fill a cylindrical container that has a hole on the bottom with some kind of viscous fluid and see how high you can get it, then you try to make some come out, all while keeping air from entering.
It's surprisingly popular!
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Naismith was Canadian but he invented basketball at the YMCA in Springfield, Massachusetts. Useless trivia of the day.

I have nothing further to add. :wink:
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

So, invented by a Canadian while in USA. I'll go along with that. :P

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

Coelacanth wrote:So, invented by a Canadian while in USA. I'll go along with that. :P

Canada also invented Rush, Pam Anderson, Natasha Henstridge, & Shania Twain.... :D

I have noooo problems with that!

If ya'll can warm up the winters a bit more, I'd have no problem moving North!
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Diggley wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:So, invented by a Canadian while in USA. I'll go along with that. :P
Canada also invented Rush, Pam Anderson, Natasha Henstridge, & Shania Twain.... :D

Most of us up north would be thrilled if you could take Justin Bieber and Celine Dion. Would you take them from us? Please???

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

Coelacanth wrote:
Diggley wrote:

Most of us up north would be thrilled if you could take Justin Bieber and Celine Dion. Would you take them from us? Please???

:lol: ...Umm, no.
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

rush is great as long as geddy lee keeps his mouth shut!

ok so i got another us "game", washers. anyone ever play washers?

it's kind of like horse shoes but theres a tin can inside a wooden box, you toss large (like 2.5-3 inch) washers and try to get them in the can or atleast the box. it's a ton of fun and it's portable.

mmdm4

Post by mmdm4 »

The washers we played used a slanted board similar to the one used in bags but it has three holes, the top hole is worth 3 pts. the middle 2 pts. and the bottom 1 pt. Each team has 5 washers and you have to reach 21 pts. exactly.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Belt Sander Racing Association....too cool!
[youtube]SdTH9fppU3A[/youtube]
Last edited by klavy69 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed youtube link
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website