Not-Really-a-Beater-Anymore Raider

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

markbt73
Approved Member

Re: Beater Raider

Post by markbt73 »

Percymon wrote:As a bit of fun project basher its come along nicely - probably twice as good as it ever deserved to be now.

The cage will take it to another level - perhaps not for running purposes but as a side project it should be pretty cool :wink:
It will get run with the cage. It never fails: I try to make a car into a really nice display piece, and I get tired of seeing it sit there and end up running it. I try to keep a car as a scruffy beater, and I can't help fixing it up. So all my cars end up in this quasi-restored, occasional runner, perpetual work-in-progress state.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

If you can find them buy some old Kyosho or Duratrax gold shocks. They fit perfet and definitely change the hnadling of the Raider. I have those and a Thorp ball diff in mine with a 17x2 motor and it's a blast. I'm looking for different axles to use because I keep snapping the stock plastic/metal dogbones. That and I need to find some modern wheels and tires for it to get some better traction.

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

I have a Raider Pro that is getting a set of Duratrax golds when I rebuild it. Not sure yet if that will be a runner or not.

Thorp made a Raider diff? Huh, I didn't know that. Must be as rare as unicorn poop. If you're looking for stronger axles, try Ultima dogbones or universal axles if you can find them.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Ultimate dogbones are still being produced too 8)
The new number is 92645 instead of OT-006. The color is different but the compatibility is great. Universals from an ultima won't fit, rocky/raider have a longer wheel shaft.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I seem to recall the axle lengths are different between Opty/Ulty and Rocky/Raider, too...
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

If there is a difference it is minor, the wheel side prevents the use of a ultima/optima axle in a raider but there are people running the gold rocky universals in optima with spacing up the wheel shaft side.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

markbt73 wrote:I have a Raider Pro that is getting a set of Duratrax golds when I rebuild it. Not sure yet if that will be a runner or not.

Thorp made a Raider diff? Huh, I didn't know that. Must be as rare as unicorn poop. If you're looking for stronger axles, try Ultima dogbones or universal axles if you can find them.
Check ebay. I bought my diff last year for $40. They are listed on ebay at least 4-6 times per year.

The raider sized ones use the same size balls and rings as a T3 so rebuilding them is cheap and parts are easy to get. At least that's what I was told anyway.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

You guys are correct. The dogbones from an ultima are only .5MM shorter so they fit just fine. The outer end is longer on the raider/rocky however. Those are quite longer. Eyeing them I think the Traxxas Bandit outer ends are the same length. I am going to try and test fit some Bandit rear driveshafts on the Raider. If they fit then I'll get MIP cvd outer ends for the Bandit and find some bones that are the correct length.

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

OK, well, forget the cage. Would have taken too much hacking.

I had a much better idea anyway:

I bought this TBG Ultra Stock body with the intention of putting it on a Pegasus, but then I thought it deserved a better chassis. I tried it on a couple other cars, but it just seemed to go best with the Raider. Stripes are all sign vinyl; I wanted something that paid homage to the Kyosho box-art paint jobs of the 80s and 90s. With the cleaned up orange wheels and some new-old tires, I think it looks just about perfect.

But I guess I can't really call it a "beater" anymore, can I?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Not-Really-a-Beater-Anymore Raider

Post by Coelacanth »

I like it, the tires' track width looks like a pretty good fit in relation to the wheel-wells. However, I'd mount the body lower, if possible, so it would look more like a rally car and less like a monster truck. :mrgreen: Maybe half an inch or 2/3" of clearance would look better, and still be enough for full suspension travel?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

That old supra body looks cool on the raider.

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

Coelacanth wrote:I like it, the tires' track width looks like a pretty good fit in relation to the wheel-wells. However, I'd mount the body lower, if possible, so it would look more like a rally car and less like a monster truck. :mrgreen: Maybe half an inch or 2/3" of clearance would look better, and still be enough for full suspension travel?
It sits about a quarter inch lower with a battery in it. I set it up so the tires just barely don't rub under full compression. It just rides high when it's empty.

Super1080
Approved Member

Post by Super1080 »

I have somewhere around 10 raider chassis, I had one when I was a kid and about 5 years ago I went ebay crazy buying them up for parts.

j0pp3
Approved Member

Post by j0pp3 »

Sweet! That ended up really nice. As mentioned, it could be a bit lower. You could also limit the suspension travel a bit.
Cheers
Joel

Super1080
Approved Member

Post by Super1080 »

Markbt73 where did you get those white five spoke wheels, are they hpi? I have a raider pro that would look really sweet with those wheels on it.