Dan's ProCat runner/racer project

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Re: Dan's ProCat runner/racer project

Post by DerbyDan »

I picked up a BossCat diff... it arrived yesterday, but on a quick closer inspection it is evidently from the BossCat Sport - so doesn't have the alloy diff halves or the three ball races that are used inside :(

Peakey
Approved Member

Post by Peakey »

I have just acquired a few diff parts that are in the post so when they turn up I'll have a look and see what I have spare dan. I have also got a nib bosscat that I really need to finish at some point it was bought as a donor car but it's too good so it's just going to get built and shelved that's a sport also

Peakey
Approved Member

Post by Peakey »

Dan if you want them I've seen 2 thrust races a520 ones and two diff screws t084 if your interested bit they ain't cheep and the guy won't budge on price I've tryed

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Thanks Peakey - I think i'm ok at the moment.... I also have a hunch that JRX2 thrust races fit, & i've got loads of those!!

Peakey
Approved Member

Post by Peakey »

Dan
Do you still have the Cat in bits? If you do can you by any chance get the dimensions of the layshaft, I think it might be a case of just getting one made

Peakey
Approved Member

Post by Peakey »

Right dan my new Procat arrived today at last (pics and thred to follow) but I now have surpluses to requirements a full MMS diff setup for one if you would be interested let me know and I should have 2 cars worth of parts if you need anything let me know

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Hi Peakey.... I've just seen your thread over on Oople, that's a lovely ProCat you have - nice one! I remember seeing for sale, it was owned by an Ex-pat Brit living in Oz wasn't it? Looking at the spares you have I could prob make use of a pair of the diff outputs - & those alloy eccentric bearing housings look tasty too (although I think I'm going to look out for some of the white Bosscat ones).

On the subject of the layshaft - my car isn't built yet so it's no problem to strip the layshaft back down & take some sizes for you... but if course this would only be usefull if you could find the rest of the slipper parts (although these should be more widely avaliable since they are shared with other/later Schueys - Cougar 2K, Cat 2000 etc)

Peakey
Approved Member

Post by Peakey »

Thanks dan I'm just glad my cars here at last :D yes it has made the trip from oz it was ownd by a guy called Mitch top bloke.

As for the slipper I've already got the plates I'm going to see how the wasp slipper holds up and if it's not up to it then I might have to change it. So if I had some measurements to hand the. maybe i could get one made to take the modem say sx3 slipper plates, spurs and spring.

Is it the 23mm diff outputs you want? I've now got three sets so I'll have a look and see what size they are if you want. I've never seen any white ones they should be interesting to find

Peakey
Approved Member

Post by Peakey »

Dan
I'm not 100% but if you get me the dimensions I might of found a suitable replacement if you can get them to me I'll let you know when it turns up :wink:

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Sounds interesting.... i'll get that layshaft measured up for you sometime this week :wink:

The white bearing housings are the standard items from a BossCat/Cougar 2 - I believe they are made from the same material as the 'whisper' spur gears - so very tough & durable :)

& yes I believe the 23mm diff outputs are what I need - my car came with a 'full' MMS rear drum diff, but the front diff was built using the MMS pulley & centre bearing only. I'm actually running the std Schumacher diff outputs in the front & Hex option parts in the rear diff (as the photos on pg.1) But it would be nice to have the option to build up a pair of diffs to the full MMS spec!

Peakey
Approved Member

Post by Peakey »

I've managed to find some pro diff ouputs on eBay they were with a load of diff parts. And as I was rebuilding the front mms diff yesterday I found the mms ouputs are round and the pro alloy ones are hex so won't fit, as the mms thrust plates are bigger than the standed ones. I put your honing tips to good use and also found the thrust race in the mms setup is in a little metal carrier not plastic.

The layshaft I have found measures 56mm and the distance between holes is 25mm let me know if it's the same. I have also sourced a Procat slipper so I'll have a look at that to when it turns up.

And daz75 on oople has a little stash of new in the pack mms diff outputs and a couple of WASP Racing alloy bearing housings if your interested very nice there's a pic on my thred on there.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Peakey wrote: The layshaft I have found measures 56mm and the distance between holes is 25mm let me know if it's the same. I have also sourced a Procat slipper so I'll have a look at that to when it turns up.
I don't know if this helps but these are the pin location measurements from my Bosscat
Attachments
image.jpg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Got these parts back from Fibrelyte today.... The parts on the Left are for the ProCat, I think you can see where i'm going with this.... :wink:

Peakey
Approved Member

Post by Peakey »

Looks good dan I spoke to Stephen at fiberlyte last month about something very similar but in carbon

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Yes - I could have had these parts made in carbon, but I want that vintage 'look' & feel... in some ways I'm reluctant to go too far with regards to upgrades & mods on this car otherwise the car that you end up driving is not the car you dream't about all those years ago. Whilst I really admire Kaszal's ProCat build & his determination to analyse & improve every aspect of his car, for me it I want to try & keep it a little more simple and enjoy the car for how it was originally designed...