RC10DS - 1970 Chevy Chevelle

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Re: RC10DS - 1970 Chevy Chevelle

Post by LoboNYC »

Coelacanth wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:41 am I'm just not digging those grey wheels...the style is too high positive offset for my tastes, for a muscle car. I think HPI nailed it with their vintage VTA wheel series:

https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/3822

Kyosho's wheels are so-so, but could be made to look pretty close if you painted the wheel insides black and left the 5-spokes chromed...but I'm not a fan of how muscle cars looked back in the day, with their skinny little pinwheels and bias-ply tires. If you look at a stock 1970 Charger with the original P195 75R14 size tires on it, it looks like crap, especially from behind, because the tires are sucked in so far inside the rear wheel-wells. It just looks so much better with 255's or 275's, to just fill the wheel-wells. I'm not a fan of the "fat tires sticking out 2 inches past the wheel-wells" trash look, either. They need to properly fill the wheel-wells but not go beyond them.
Totally understand where you are coming from. Once i got the Kyosho wheels i was not happy with them. I ordered the grey wheels because i like beadlocks rather then glueing tires onto wheels.

You are right in that HPI nailed it with their vintage wheels as those are more authentic looking and have better detail. Also, the HPI's fit perfect on a 200mm wide body. I may revisit wheel; selection after im finished with body paint. :D

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

XLR8 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:05 pm I agree that the Kysoho Chevelle wheels could benefit greatly from a little paint and detail work.

FWIW, here's what I'm rocking:

Shelf duty
wheels: Apex RC https://www.ebay.com/itm/221524930854 ('cause I'm an old guy who still prefers chrome wheels :wink: )
tires: https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-T6085-Grip-Tires-Insert-sponge-4PCS-For-HSP-HPI-1-10-On-Road-Speed-Car/324198892163?hash=item4b7bc28283:g:aMoAAOSwPNBdAxB8

Track days
wheels: Kyosho Hellcat https://www.kyoshoamerica.com/FAH701BK-Wheel-FZ02-Mesh-7Black-2pcs_p_25693.html
tires: Nitro Hobbies V-Grip https://nitrohobbies.com/nhxt1205/
Totally correct, the Kyosho wheels need more detail. Thanks for posting both photos...good to see the chevy with a variety of wheels.

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

Hahaha No worries Doug, the tire and wheel discussion is fine here..its great to read and learn different approaches and style!

Alex

ADDENDUM:

I spoke about using the GT chassis to increase wheelbase needed for mounting the Kyosho body.

I failed to mention that i gained an additional 4mm when i swapped out the stock rear suspension mounts for a set of 0 degree aluminum mounts. They position the hinge pins 4mm further back.

BTW how bout these wheels? :mrgreen:

KidAgain

Post by KidAgain »

Those look great dude........................

Im going to have about 4 wheels coming soon for us DS owners along with a few bits to help us keep these cars on the road and off the shelves :wink:
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

GreenMonster

Post by GreenMonster »

I have to admit those are some sweet wheels! Really match the era of that car!

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

I agree, those new wheels look great!
They resemble Vaterra wheels but are a little different.
vaterra wheel.jpg
I've looked at many many on-road wheels recently and I can't place them. So, can you reveal your source or should we keep guessing?? :D
Doug

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

^^^^^^^^^^
've looked at many many on-road wheels recently and I can't place them. So, can you reveal your source.........
The M/T is Mickey Thompson. A search for Mickey Thompson scale wheels led me to RC4WD and maybe these are those:

https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-Mickey-Thompson-Street-Comp-SC-5-19-Beadlock-Wheels-Hyper-Silver_p_5048.html
Z-W0238-1.jpg

I dig these DS builds, Lobo. Always clean and deliberate!
Hope you're doin' something fun.

the13bats
Approved Member

Post by the13bats »

I just love i mean really love this build and thread its just what im simpatico with, doesnt mean its all 100% my taste but as a package deal its sweet.

A few questions,
So i have a nice electric ds and well used needing rebuilding nitro ds, one had a lambo body the other some earnheart body neither i like much,

and i have a few 10 projects in my head,
And no, i do not know the correct model of everything so i hope you can figure out what im babbling,

On a gt, this one,
20200730_201736_copy_1046x1320.jpg
Will all the nitro ds suspension and drivetrain bolt right on to get that longer wheelbase?
It might just work out perfectly for the dirt oval outlaw vette body im building a project around, will post body if any interest,

On the subject of wheels im a full size gear head too, my car a 69 bb corvette convertible is road racer theme, i run old school 15x10 ansen slots with 295 50 15, these wheels have 4 backspace so yeah, they would hang out about 2" rat fink style, but i run L88 flares,

Its a huge trend and has been a while , old school muscle cars with larger diameter wheels with rubber band tires, all positive offset,
So they might fit 12" plus under a fender, to me it ruins the look of an old muscle car, some even look all status donk,

The velle in this build has positive offset wheels but to me they just look like old salt flat specials style, very hot rod to me, and yeah. Bead lock rocks!
OIP.LO8Cm9G9r94vvMmI5_NZUQHaHa.jpg
OIP.LO8Cm9G9r94vvMmI5_NZUQHaHa.jpg (38.2 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
OIP.LO8Cm9G9r94vvMmI5_NZUQHaHa.jpg (38.2 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
they still look period correct, not the modern look i dont care for,

I would however love a 10th wheel that looked like an old school deep dish mag, ansen, cragar ss, american racing 5 spokes etc of the era the problem will be fitting them under the fender, unless the scale width is considered.

If not mistaken that velle only had 7" 8" at most wheels from the factory....

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

TRX-1-3 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:31 pm ^^^^^^^^^^
've looked at many many on-road wheels recently and I can't place them. So, can you reveal your source.........
The M/T is Mickey Thompson. A search for Mickey Thompson scale wheels led me to RC4WD and maybe these are those:

https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-Mickey-Thompson-Street-Comp-SC-5-19-Beadlock-Wheels-Hyper-Silver_p_5048.html

Z-W0238-1.jpg

I dig these DS builds, Lobo. Always clean and deliberate!

How about that, you've found them!
I would never have thought to look to RC4WD for touring car wheels. Thanks for posting a link!! :D
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

the13bats wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:50 pm I just love i mean really love this build and thread its just what im simpatico with, doesnt mean its all 100% my taste but as a package deal its sweet.

A few questions,
So i have a nice electric ds and well used needing rebuilding nitro ds, one had a lambo body the other some earnheart body neither i like much,

and i have a few 10 projects in my head,
And no, i do not know the correct model of everything so i hope you can figure out what im babbling,

On a gt, this one,
20200730_201736_copy_1046x1320.jpg

Will all the nitro ds suspension and drivetrain bolt right on to get that longer wheelbase?
It might just work out perfectly for the dirt oval outlaw vette body im building a project around, will post body if any interest,

On the subject of wheels im a full size gear head too, my car a 69 bb corvette convertible is road racer theme, i run old school 15x10 ansen slots with 295 50 15, these wheels have 4 backspace so yeah, they would hang out about 2" rat fink style, but i run L88 flares,

Its a huge trend and has been a while , old school muscle cars with larger diameter wheels with rubber band tires, all positive offset,
So they might fit 12" plus under a fender, to me it ruins the look of an old muscle car, some even look all status donk,

The velle in this build has positive offset wheels but to me they just look like old salt flat specials style, very hot rod to me, and yeah. Bead lock rocks!

they still look period correct, not the modern look i dont care for,

I would however love a 10th wheel that looked like an old school deep dish mag, ansen, cragar ss, american racing 5 spokes etc of the era the problem will be fitting them under the fender, unless the scale width is considered.

If not mistaken that velle only had 7" 8" at most wheels from the factory....

I have to admit that I know zip about DS or GT however for touring car wheels, have you looked at what HPI has to offer?
https://www.hpiracing.com/en/product_category/W10TW

For instance, these HPI vintage 5-spokes look very old school! They have them in 26mm and 31mm widths and in matte (pictured) and black.
HPI Vintage 5 spoke wheel.JPG
HPI Vintage 5 spoke wheel.JPG (24.42 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
HPI Vintage 5 spoke wheel.JPG (24.42 KiB) Viewed 2237 times

And the tires for them look very scale as well.
HPI Vintage tires.JPG

A while back, someone posted this Penske Camaro on ebay. I think it uses the HPI wheels. Pretty cool, hu? :D

Penske Camaro.jpg
Doug

the13bats
Approved Member

Post by the13bats »

Xlr8,

Those 5 spokes you posted are a copy or idea of the American racing torq Thrust wheels one of the all time most popular wheels and seen on most late 60s early 70s road racers, which in most cases in the day were still limited to 8" wide some 9" i far from recall all the race regs of the day,

Ive seen that camaro on ebay and like the velle the OP posted they are fairly nicely molded and proportioned bodies and very sweet,
My dirt vette isnt no where near that nice, neither is my 58 for that matter, for example the rear wheels on a stock ds are about all the 58 can hold, and not look rat finkish

31mm isnt too wide, the offset looks about neutral, and yeah, the tires look great too,

I didnt go check them out but if aluminum im guessing they cost more than i paid for ansens for my real car, my budget and ocd wont allow that for my toy, lol,

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

the13bats wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:20 pm Xlr8,

Those 5 spokes you posted are a copy or idea of the American racing torq Thrust wheels one of the all time most popular wheels and seen on most late 60s early 70s road racers, which in most cases in the day were still limited to 8" wide some 9" i far from recall all the race regs of the day,

Ive seen that camaro on ebay and like the velle the OP posted they are fairly nicely molded and proportioned bodies and very sweet,
My dirt vette isnt no where near that nice, neither is my 58 for that matter, for example the rear wheels on a stock ds are about all the 58 can hold, and not look rat finkish

31mm isnt too wide, the offset looks about neutral, and yeah, the tires look great too,

I didnt go check them out but if aluminum im guessing they cost more than i paid for ansens for my real car, my budget and ocd wont allow that for my toy, lol,

Yeah, I remember seeing that Penske Vette as well. Man, that was sweet!! I thought I saved pics of that one but I can't find them.
Anyway, I agree, metal RC wheels look great but they're usually too pricey for my budget so I just go with the plated plastic ones instead. All of HPI's wheels in that linked page are plastic btw.
Some of the guys from my high school ran the American Racing wheels you've mentioned on their "hot rods". I didn't know they were called Torq Thrust. I recall having a set of Cragar SS mags on my '66 Chevy II bitd - my first car.
Those were the days. :D
Doug

the13bats
Approved Member

Post by the13bats »

Yeah, until the mid 70s pretty much any road racer ran either the torq thrusts or mini lites, but mini lites were very pricey even then,

Im very old school and not much into the modern stuff, i would hit the RC track every weekend, i cant recall if it was fri or sat nite, this was when rc10 6 gear was "it" and the modded classes of dirt oval or buggy were "it" the only contender not rc10 was a fox more hot trick than tamiya,

I was just getting into full body dirt oval racing and my club music band stuff kicked in and that was it as far as racing rc went for me, career took over,
I stayed involved in the hobby even worked in it part time for fun but i havent a clue the options out there,

I really love the look or some of the aluminum rc10 wheels but i see ones that are chewed up on feebay with silly prices,
And i question how much wear and tear can they take,
Perhaps use plastic for actual running,
I had a set of chrome stock rc10 slots i loved, they looked fine,

This thread the ot build is just "it" for me, i like the modded stuff, i love outside the box thinking,

Here is a 58 vette on a stock electric 10ds, its sitting high on the body mounts,
But you can see the wheelbase is off and the mesh wheels look imho silly on this body,
Which btw was free, my buddy butchered and hacked this poor body about 25 years ago, i saved it from the trash, its gonna be a weird rally wasteland build,
20200802_235815_copy_1807x630.jpg

KidAgain

Post by KidAgain »

The wheels im making will not require a hex conversion, 4 styles to choose from...................................and tires are readily available :D :)

I just dont like posting pictures till I have some stock on the shelves because if you guys are interested I want to get them to you quick.
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

XLR8 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:51 pm For instance, these HPI vintage 5-spokes look very old school! They have them in 26mm and 31mm widths and in matte (pictured) and black.

And the tires for them look very scale as well.

HPI Vintage tires.JPG

A while back, someone posted this Penske Camaro on ebay. I think it uses the HPI wheels. Pretty cool, hu? :D

Penske Camaro.jpg
I love those wheels & tires, they look perfectly suited to a muscle car body...the outsides of the tires are made with a lot more sidewall than the insides, and that's essential to capturing that vintage muscle car look. It's why I chose a version of them for my CYANide 'Cuda, and went to great trouble trying to make them fit properly inside that body with a Kyosho Optima chassis that originally had arms that were WAY too long to make them fit without major modifications. It was worth all the trouble though! 8)

Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3