RC10DS - 1970 Chevy Chevelle

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

LoboNYC
Approved Member

RC10DS - 1970 Chevy Chevelle

Post by LoboNYC »

HELLO EVERYONE!!!

2020 has been and will continue to be a challenging year. I still cant believe that at one point it was easier to find a vintage DS tire than it was a roll of toilet paper. It isnt suprising that my first build for 2020 got started during the quarantine. Im happy to say its moving along enough to start a post. I originally intended to start a 1993 RC10gt GT build but decided to open (MURDER) my Holy Grail SEALED 1998 RC10DS Nitro #8067 kit with OS .12CV non pullstart engine.

I could build this as an all stock car but what fun would that be. So im adding the Alex touch. A Kyosho Chevelle body and wheels on a RC10DS. The body's wheelbase is longer than the DS car so im using a beautiful blue anodized GT chassis, which has a longer wheelbase, instead of the DS chassis. It provides the needed wheelbase to match the body. I modified a set of SC10 front hub axles to allows for 12mm hex wheel use. hexes for the rear axles as well. I got the Kyosho Wheels as well but after a few days i thought they looked plasticy. i decided to try a set of aluminum bead-lock wheels that look like they mean business!

I still have to prepare the engine, build the stealth transmission and decide on paint colors. Here are a few photos for now.

Dry rotted 22 year old DS tires...damn shame. anyone got a VCR?

My aluminum beadlock replacement wheels...look ma! no glue needed.

Chassis Swap

SC10 Front axle hub

Getting started

replacing as much of the screw hardware with stainless steel

Shocks done and mounted

Servos mounted

body trimmed and mounted, Kyosho wheels in the photo

Body and Aluminum Wheel shots

Hope you enjoy

RC10th
Approved Member

Re: RC10DS - 1970 Chevy Chevelle

Post by RC10th »

Huh? That's news to me if the blue anno tub is longer then the black tub.....
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

RC10th wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:51 am Huh? That's news to me if the blue anno tub is longer then the black tub.....
Looks longer in the nose area, to my untrained eye.... but then again, what do I know about 10GT's? :oops:
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

My guess is the DS has a cut down tub......

Fascinating
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

RC10th wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:51 am Huh? That's news to me if the blue anno tub is longer then the black tub.....
It’s not that that blue was longer than normal- it was the same as a regular GT. The NDS was however a shorter chassis than the GT and carried a different part number- 8815
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

KidAgain

Post by KidAgain »

Sweet your back bud cant wait to see the progress...................................

I will have wheels available soon for us DS guys and plenty of slicks available on the market for said wheels............... :wink:
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

Incredible_Serious wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:27 am
Looks longer in the nose area, to my untrained eye.... but then again, what do I know about 10GT's? :oops:
YOU ARE CORRECT, the extra length is in the front end (nose area) of the GT chassis. :D

As GoMachV stated, the GT chassis whether stock black or anodized blue is longer in length than the DS chassis.

the GT chassis also has two holes for the nose tubes where the DS has only one.

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

KidAgain wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:50 am Sweet your back bud cant wait to see the progress...................................

I will have wheels available soon for us DS guys and plenty of slicks available on the market for said wheels............... :wink:
Thanks KidAgain! glad to be back and building a new DS. kind of nicer to build a new kit than restoring a wreck, lol.

cant wait to see them slicks!

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

GoMachV wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:35 am
It’s not that that blue was longer than normal- it was the same as a regular GT. The NDS was however a shorter chassis than the GT and carried a different part number- 8815
That's why i love this forum...thank you GoMachV for dropping knowledge!

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

That body fits that chassis and wheel setup really well. Has that “stockish” wheels sunk under the fenders look, which I think looks “correct” for a car of that era.

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

romulus22 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:47 pm That body fits that chassis and wheel setup really well. Has that “stockish” wheels sunk under the fenders look, which I think looks “correct” for a car of that era.
Thanks Todd, I was trying my best to match a DS car to that the body. Using the GT chassis allowed the match.

I lucked out with the wheel style and their offest. They're geared towards the crawler and scale truck market. I like their look with the HPI tires.

:mrgreen:
“stockish” wheels sunk under the fenders look
:mrgreen:

photos of actual chevys not mine...

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I'm just not digging those grey wheels...the style is too high positive offset for my tastes, for a muscle car. I think HPI nailed it with their vintage VTA wheel series:

https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/3822

Kyosho's wheels are so-so, but could be made to look pretty close if you painted the wheel insides black and left the 5-spokes chromed...but I'm not a fan of how muscle cars looked back in the day, with their skinny little pinwheels and bias-ply tires. If you look at a stock 1970 Charger with the original P195 75R14 size tires on it, it looks like crap, especially from behind, because the tires are sucked in so far inside the rear wheel-wells. It just looks so much better with 255's or 275's, to just fill the wheel-wells. I'm not a fan of the "fat tires sticking out 2 inches past the wheel-wells" trash look, either. They need to properly fill the wheel-wells but not go beyond them.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

I agree that the Kysoho Chevelle wheels could benefit greatly from a little paint and detail work.

FWIW, here's what I'm rocking:

Shelf duty
wheels: Apex RC https://www.ebay.com/itm/221524930854 ('cause I'm an old guy who still prefers chrome wheels :wink: )
tires: https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-T6085-Grip-Tires-Insert-sponge-4PCS-For-HSP-HPI-1-10-On-Road-Speed-Car/324198892163?hash=item4b7bc28283:g:aMoAAOSwPNBdAxB8
P1010702.jpg
Track days
wheels: Kyosho Hellcat https://www.kyoshoamerica.com/FAH701BK-Wheel-FZ02-Mesh-7Black-2pcs_p_25693.html
tires: Nitro Hobbies V-Grip https://nitrohobbies.com/nhxt1205/
P1010703.jpg
Doug

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Those look good, Doug, I also dig a little chrome. The first set of wheels fit your body quite nicely and look great.

When I look at those Kyosho muscle car models, the stock wheels and tires all look too skinny to my liking. When I see those chassis' with no body mounted, the rears especially don't look right to me. I suppose that look is close to how the cars looked when they rolled off the production line, with the more mainstream performance options (i.e. not the Hemi R/T's, 440 6-Packs, 396 SS's, etc.), but I just feel the wheels & tires should be wider. 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Coelacanth wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:07 am Those look good, Doug, I also dig a little chrome. The first set of wheels fit your body quite nicely and look great.

When I look at those Kyosho muscle car models, the stock wheels and tires all look too skinny to my liking. When I see those chassis' with no body mounted, the rears especially don't look right to me. I suppose that look is close to how the cars looked when they rolled off the production line, with the more mainstream performance options (i.e. not the Hemi R/T's, 440 6-Packs, 396 SS's, etc.), but I just feel the wheels & tires should be wider. 8)
Thanks, I really like the chrome wheels as well.

I want to be careful here as I don't want to hijack this thread and steer it off-topic. Maybe this is a good place to discuss availability of wheels and tires for these cars -- or maybe not. LoboNYC, please tell us to to take this discussion elsewhere and we will. No worries, I promise! :wink:

I agree that the tires supplied with Kyosho and other models would look better if they were wider, but 26mm has become the industry standard width for these cars. I think this goes all the way back to the touring car era and perhaps some time before that. Contributing to the skinny tire appearance is the car's width. The Kyosho Chevelle body for instance is 8-5/16" wide. If it were true to scale, it would be only 7-1/2" wide.

Vaterra supplies 30mm wide tires for the rear of their cars and similar width tires are also supplied with certain Tamiya models (mostly for Porsche models). But those non-standard width wheels and tires tend to be a bit exclusive and more expensive so, with the Camaro, I save them for shelf duty.
P1010692.JPG

... and fit the cheaper stuff on track days.
P1010689.JPG
Anyway, I'm looking forward to LoboNYC's next update. :D
Doug