Cars from your youth

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

flipwils11
Approved Member

Re: Cars from your youth

Post by flipwils11 »

MelvinsArmy wrote:
flipwils11 wrote:
jwscab wrote:the 308 isn't a 308....it's a 288 GTO, one of my all time favorites. Not too many made, 400 hp twin turbo V8.
You beat me to it! Yeah, that's a very cool car but they were all greymarket so some were converted better than others I'm told.
Huh? 288 GTOs were not grey market conversions, they were Ferrari's flagship in the mid-80s. Ferrari made 272 of them.
Correct, but I do not believe they were officially sold in the US by Ferrari. I thought some were privately imported during the grey market heyday which would require federalization. I'm no Ferrari expert by any means but a quick google search seems to confirm what I had heard.

I own a 1980 BMW M535i which was also never officially sold here either, so I know very well the pain of undoing greymarket importer hacks to return the car to "normal".

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Oh, I thought you meant that 288s were converted 308s. I think you're right that Ferrari didn't import them.

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

Over the years I had several IH Scouts II (12) most were parts but I had a show queen and daily driver. A 74 Dodge Dart Sport, a 73 Dodge Dart Sport and a 1970 Plymouth Valiant. Also had a 1987 Suzuki Samurai. Of all those, the Samurai was by far my favorite - I just can't explain it. :lol:

Here's a pic of the Samurai :
Burn more coal - UnderGroundMiners.com

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Here's my Suzuki Samurai story...my aunt had a red one. My cousin (her son) drove it over to our house one evening in winter and it snowed that night. He wasn't able to get it out of the smallish curb-side snow drift. I backed up my '70 Dodge Monaco, hooked up a chain, and pulled him right out. :lol:

That thing was a beast...and shamed more than a few Camaros with its 383 cubic inch big block. It was butt-ugly, 2-tone brown & rust, but it looked badass. Another cousin once said its grille was a "real kid-hitter". :D

Great winter-beater that beast was...cost me a whole $200.

Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I jumped a red Suzuki Samurai on the hills of San Francisco in 02' then with 4 of us in the "truck" then got it on two wheels as well 8). We kept it in the race trailer as a "town" vehicle when we arrived to the track, you should see the faces of people when 4 guys with NC tags are in California jumping a Suzuki :mrgreen:

HotRodJosh
Approved Member

Post by HotRodJosh »

Does this count???
It's what I drove throughout high school in late 80's.....

I was born in '73...so the cars of my youth that I remember....mostly 80's cars....all SUCK.
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription.....is more cowbell."
Pinstriping by Josh

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Sweet '68!
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

How can you tell the 68' from the 69'? I know the 67 is way different- and I thought that the 70' was the same as the pic :?:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Charlie don't surf wrote:How can you tell the 68' from the 69'? I know the 67 is way different- and I thought that the 70' was the same as the pic :?:
'68 has the tiny round side-marker lights. Regulations in '69 required bigger side-markers. The '69 & '70 have rectangular side-markers. ;)

You can also spot differences in the front grille, hood turn indicators, and rear taillight lenses ('68 has double-circle taillights, '69-'70 have long rectangular ones but the lenses themselves are each slightly different).

Here's a nice '69:

The '70 has a totally different wraparound front bumper, different hood signal indicators from the other 2 years, and a small rectangular reflective area in the middle of each of the taillight lenses. You can barely see it in this pic.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Never was into mopars, other than the 69/70 charger (dukes of hazzard) thanks for the info! I love learning something new.

Mindwarp
Approved Member

Post by Mindwarp »

That black Charger is stunning! Why can't they bend sheet metal like that any-more?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Mindwarp wrote:That black Charger is stunning! Why can't they bend sheet metal like that any-more?
No kidding. It amazes me that a '69 Daytona Charger (with wing & nose-cone) had a drag coefficient of only 0.28, which is lower than most cars on the road today. By comparison, the Dodge Viper has a Cd of 0.45; the Lambo Diablo, Mazda RX-7, 0.31; various Corvettes 0.29. Love the sexy curves on muscle-cars from that era, nothing produced these days seems comparable.

http://www.allpar.com/model/superbird.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_drag_coefficient

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

once our second to last 68 442 is done, the next car coming in the shop is a 68 charger. finally be able to clear out the tons of 68 olds parts after building 5 in a row. :shock:

im under the impression it's going to be done like this (color, stripes), but will be more a pro-touring build.
2481195784_2e186d204e_b.jpg
he bought a new crate hemi for it, which i understand just showed up the other day. it'll also have the big baer or wilwood 4 wheel discs, and this hotchkis tvs suspension kit, and whatever other add ons they have.

http://www.hotchkis.net/6669_mopar_bbody_tvs_system.html

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

scr8p wrote:i kinda wish i had my iroc back.....
X2 on that. Red 5.7 TPI 5-Speed. Girls used to love riding in it. 8)
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

esaresky75 wrote:Over the years I had several IH Scouts II (12) most were parts but I had a show queen and daily driver. A 74 Dodge Dart Sport, a 73 Dodge Dart Sport and a 1970 Plymouth Valiant. Also had a 1987 Suzuki Samurai. Of all those, the Samurai was by far my favorite - I just can't explain it. :lol:

Here's a pic of the Samurai :
My first vehicle was a '79 Scout SS II. I loved the soft doors and top. I had aluminum wheels on it with BFG 35" tires. Great summer truck. Ran like crazy and tough as hell.
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS